Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone else seen drift netting above Rosedale this weekend? (incl correction)  (Read 8919 times)

colin6101

It's my understanding that when they get an opening for chinook salmon they have to use larger openings in their nets to decrease the amount of accidental by-catch of other salmon species. However, I don't see this completely solving the problem either. I also agree the DFO site needs a major overhaul, its next to impossible for people new to the sport to easily navigate at times. I have had to walk several of my friends through the site to check the regulations for where they are going to fish.

scalper66

• here fishy fishy

i filmed fn drift netting the top of peg leg on sunday pulling in nets full of sockeye and keeping them and the police boat driving right by will be putting it on youtube later

Eagleye

• Old Timer

nice that says it all.  You should forward it to the media...

Frankey

Call up CKNW and forward the video to them,my friend talked to them today about the poaching going on and they have said there getting alot of calls about the situation.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

Perhaps forward a copy to Mr. Crey and let him defend how his people's poaching fish is not hurting sockeyes but the sporties are.  ;D

Frankey

Mr Crey calling for an outright ban on the sporties after the dustup on the Fraser.You are so predictable Mr Crey.I ask you why some of your people are selling chinooks and sockeye when these openings are for Food and Cerimonial purposes?

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

Mr Crey calling for an outright ban on the sporties after the dustup on the Fraser.You are so predictable Mr Crey.I ask you why some of your people are selling chinooks and sockeye when these openings are for Food and Cerimonial purposes?

Maybe Indians are like white people. You know, even though our chief (the PM) tells us to pay taxes and not break the law - we do what we want anyways. Could it be that Indians and white people are more alike then you imagine, both have bad apples.

::)

Gaffer

Re: Anyone else seen the drift netting above Rosedale this weekend?
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 03:53:15 PM »

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CommunalOpeningTimes_Previous.html
Rod-- what's the difference between "communal" and "ceremonial " as per Food, Ceremonial , and Social provisions ?--Tight lines

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
Re: Drift netting above Rosedale - my mistake
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »

That being said, I personally believe that incidental net wounds to Sockeye are just as influential on mortality as hook-catch-and-release is claimed to be.  We have seen many comments on this site about taking care to handle fish carefully if they're going to be released.  There have also been comments in the past about how scale removal can lead to body infections.  It has also been claimed that warmer water tempuratures increase the likelyhood and severity of infection.

You've hit a nail on the head here.   Sockeye will show up on the redds with fungus covering one side of the head from former hook sites.  Happens to many kinds of fish including springs with fungus starting from the places when they have been broken off when snagged.