Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Millions of missing fish signal crisis on the Fraser River  (Read 11865 times)

Dr. Backlash

Millions of missing fish signal crisis on the Fraser River
« on: August 13, 2009, 07:50:35 AM »

Mark Hume
Vancouver — From Thursday's Globe and Mail
Last updated on Thursday, Aug. 13, 2009 08:56AM EDT

The Fraser River is experiencing one of the biggest salmon disasters in recent history with more than nine million sockeye vanishing.

Aboriginal fish racks are empty, commercial boats worth millions of dollars are tied to the docks and sport anglers are being told to release any sockeye they catch while fishing for still healthy runs of Chinook.

Between 10.6 million and 13 million sockeye were expected to return to the Fraser this summer. But the official count is now just 1.7 million, according to the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.

Where the nine to 11 million missing fish went remains a mystery.

“It's beyond a crisis with these latest numbers,” said Ernie Crey, fisheries adviser to the Sto:lo tribes on the Fraser. “What it means is that a lot of impoverished natives are going to be without salmon. … We have families with little or no income that were depending on these fish. … It's a catastrophe,” he said.

Mr. Crey said a joint Canada-U.S. salmon summit should be called to find solutions.

The sockeye collapse is startling because until just a few weeks ago it seemed the Fraser was headed for a good return.

In 2005 nearly nine million sockeye spawned in the Fraser system, producing a record number of smolts, which in 2007, began to migrate out of the lakes where they'd reared for two years. Biologists for the DFO were buoyed by the numbers – the Chilko and Quesnel tributaries alone produced 130 million smolts – and because the young fish were bigger than any on record.

Those fish were expected to return to the Fraser this summer in large numbers, and those projections held until a few weeks ago when test fishing results began to signal a problem.

Barry Rosenberger, DFO area director for the Interior, said test nets at sea got consistently low catches, then samples in the river confirmed the worst – the sockeye just weren't there in any numbers.

There had been some hope the fish – which return in five distinct groups, or runs – might be delayed at sea, but Mr. Rosenberger dismissed that possibility.

“There are people hanging on to hope … but the reality is … all indications are that none of these runs are late,” he said.

Mr. Rosenberger said officials don't know where or why the salmon vanished – but they apparently died at some point during migration.

“We've been pondering this and I think a lot of people are focusing on the immediate period of entry into the Strait of Georgia and asking what on earth could have happened to them,” said Dr. Brian Riddell, President of the Pacific Salmon Foundation. “What we're seeing now is very, very unexpected.”

Some are pointing accusing fingers at salmon farms, as a possible suspect, because of research that showed young sockeye, known as smolts, got infested with sea lice as they swam north from the Fraser, through the Strait of Georgia.

“This has got to be one of the worst returns we've ever seen on the Fraser. … It's shocking really,” said Craig Orr, of Watershed Watch.

Dr. Riddell said sea lice infestations are a possible factor, but it is “extremely unlikely” that could account for the entire collapse.

“We have had the farms there for many years and we have not seen it related to the rates of survival on Fraser sockeye [before],” he said.

Dr. Riddell said a sockeye smolt with sea lice, however, might grow weak and become easy prey or succumb to environmental conditions it might otherwise survive.

Alexandra Morton, who several years ago correctly predicted a collapse of pink salmon runs in the Broughton Archipelago because of sea lice infestations, in March warned the same thing could happen to Fraser sockeye.

She said researchers used genetic analyses to show Fraser sockeye smolts were getting infested with sea lice in Georgia Strait.

“I looked at about 350 of this generation of Fraser sockeye when they went to sea in 2007 and they had up to 28 sea lice [each]. The sea lice were all young lice, which means they got them in the vicinity of where we were sampling, which was near the fish farms in the Discovery Islands. If they got sea lice from the farms, they were also exposed to whatever other pathogens were happening on the fish farms (viruses and bacteria), ” said Ms. Morton in an e-mail.

“There's a lot of different beliefs as to why the fish haven't shown up, but I think it's pretty clear where there are no fish farms salmon are doing well,” said Brian McKinley, a guide and owner of Silversides Fishing Adventure.

“It's pretty frustrating to watch what is happening,” he said from his boat, anchored on the river near Mission. “I remember sockeye would just boil through here in August and September. It was insane. . .now the river seems dead.”

Dan Gerak, who runs Pitt River Lodge, said there is an environmental crisis on the river.

“Definitely something's got to be done – or it's finished forever,” he said of the Fraser's famed salmon run.

Other big runs of salmon are expected to return this year - notably pinks where are projected to number 17 million - but it is too early to tell if the sockeye collapse will be repeated with other species.

Dr. Backlash

Re: Millions of missing fish signal crisis on the Fraser River
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 08:02:24 AM »

If there ever was any solid proof of how destructive those Norwegian fish farms in the Straight of Georgia are to sockeye smolts, the fact that they've collapsed this year on the Fraser seems pretty evident to me.  How much money and jobs do those fish farms bring to the BC economy anyway?  We should all write our MLA's or MPP's and voice our disgust!  We're witnessing the collapse of a species at an alarming rate and our government doesn't give a damn.  I've never voted for Gordie Campbell and to all of you who did vote for him - well, I hope you're happy that he still hasn't gotten rid of the fish farms.  I feel sick to my stomach!

arimaBOATER

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 01:21:40 PM »

The sea lice problem seems to me to be a NO BRAINER... sea - lice are killing salmon. (28 lice on a salmon smolt) --------- Also a possibility WHAT IF the humbolt squid moved into our waters in great numbers & intercepted the sockeye ??? These squid are fish eating machines............ But if the pinks come back in great numbers....(who knows maybe pinks will have a low return also-wait & see).... then the question that comes to me is WHY ? Do these same pinks go past fish farms ? Maybe just the timing as some runs get through when the lice are not as bad.....(???) What about ....what happens in the open sea... do these big fish factory ships know where salmon will be travelling off our 200 mile limit thus they hit them hard with 100's of nets ? Maybe some of my pts. are pointless(THROWING IDEAS OUT THERE) as I'm no expert BUT even the experts are asking questions........ For those who give the answer to "WHY ?" they must be very frustrated that people keep asking questions when they feel they answered the questin. But Ms. Morton views are getting more & more consideration by the media etc... guess it takes a crisis like this to get people's attention. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 01:23:52 PM by arimaBOATER »

jon5hill

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 02:00:31 PM »

In regards to the Humboldt squid that were seen in Tofino/Ucluelet this year, the beached ones and those caught by anglers did not have any trace remains of Salmon in their gut. Apparently a major component of their diet is shrimp, hake, and lanternfish. There have been no reports to my knowledge of Salmon found in their bellies.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 02:26:26 PM »

(squid .... what's in their stomach...no salmon GOOD !!! ---- One person said get rid of MAN & the salmon will come back in the MILLIONS in x number of years  :o.............. (pollution global warming fish lice from "fish farms commercial fishing etc....) But I don't think that's an option. ;D

JustinG

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 02:37:09 PM »

I would not place all the blame on fish farms... False Creek is LOADED with sea lice with no farms in sight ... I would say it is a contributing factor, however significantly more dominant is our ever growing environmental footprint. The Straight of Georgia is a relatively isolated piece of water with major centres like Seattle, Vancouver and Victoria all providing pollutants which stimulate an environment that allows sea lice to thrive. Victoria dumps it's raw sewage right into the ocean  :-\ ... Fish Farms are an easy target because they are a visible and distinct group. If we were serious about the health of our oceans there would need to be some significant changes with the way most people live their day to day lives.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 02:52:57 PM »

Victoria dumps it's raw sewage right into the ocean  :-\

Iona sewage plant only has primary treatment (sewage plants at developed countries typically have primary, secondary and tertiary) discharges over 500 million litres of relatively raw sewage into Georgia Strait from a Fraser River mouth. Guess where smoltification occurs?

In order to maintain the quality of life that Vancouverites wish to enjoy, I propose an immediate selective culling of evil species that are probably threatening our beloved salmon.

The followings probably qualify to be on the species of evil.

Humbolt squid
Salmon shark
Killer whale
Harbour seal
Sea lion
Sea otter
Sea gull
Bald eagle
Golden eagle
Black bear
Grizzly bear
River otter
Bull trout
Cutthroat trout
Rainbow trout
Northern pikeminnow
Sculpin
Lingcod
Rockfish
Pacific cod
Chub Mackerel
Jelly fish
Tuna
Marlin

The rest of the species should probably also be considered as possible species of evil so partial culling maybe required to cut the population in half, just in case they probably eat salmon.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 03:33:22 PM »

Iona sewage plant only has primary treatment (sewage plants at developed countries typically have primary, secondary and tertiary) discharges over 500 million litres of relatively raw sewage into Georgia Strait from a Fraser River mouth. Guess where smoltification occurs?

Rodney, could you explain to me from a marine-biologists perspective what the adverse effects of 'raw' sewerage are on a smolt?
Actions speak louder than words.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 03:52:52 PM »

Direct effect is most likely minimal, depends on what chemicals are present of course. High concentration may kill the fish obviously, low concentration just inhibits their growth and ability to carry out natural processes like smoltification. Dioxin is a good example and its effect on smoltification is studied pretty in depth. My understanding from lectures long ago when I was not asleep is that dioxin concentration has been significantly reduced on the Fraser River once they've determined its impact on Pacific salmon.

The indirect effect of raw sewage is the depletion of oxygen in Georgia Strait, which leads to an environment that is not inhabitable by organisms. No primary productivity, no food for outmigrating smolts, raising mortality rate above normal.

The Iona sewage plant discharges the following chemicals into Georgia Strait each year. These numbers are from 2005,

82 kg of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs), 2248 tonnes of Ammonia, 21 kg of Mercury, 12 tonnes of Zinc, 332 kg of Arsenic, 63 kg of Cadmium, 587 kg of Lead and 14 tonnes of Copper.

Environment Canada has found the sewage plant to fail toxicity tests repeatedly, meaning the sewage discharged is toxic to fish.

Despite of the urgency to upgrade the plant so it'd have secondary and tertiary treatments, there are no immediate plans to do this. Maybe in ten or twenty years from now.

A better person to talk to about this is Doug Chapman from the Fraser Riverkeeper.

http://www.fraserriverkeeper.ca/

Most members of the animal kingdom know not to poop and urinate in their food. I guess human have evolved to the point that we are no longer animals and have found better ways to treat out food and drinking source. ;D

arimaBOATER

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 05:35:26 PM »

Remember a dvd of Elvis singing a... (few months before he died)...song inwhich he could not remember the words to...so he says "AH ...THE HECK WITH IT".... but at least he laughed it off. -------- With all the problems taking place in the Fraser River fishery...maybe in reality the "powers that be" are putting on a brave face..... but in reality there is no political will so thus in essence they are saying (not out loud but behind the scenes) "AH..THE HECK WITH IT"....  As Rodney says raw sewage...at the mouth of the Fraser R.--- Once we were boatiing from the main Fraser to the N. Fraser & the water was so so filthy because of sewage I remember thinking "We don't like having the boat & motor to go through this stuff" (slack tide...little current...no winds at the time)  It was sewage & not from the Spring snow melt...(bringing soil into the waters) --- Just a few yrs ago a small city in Wa. put in a really good sewage treatment plant...(residents had higher taxes)... only to have Victoria's sewage wash up in their waters... Remember the oullligans (sp) runs nearly wiped out as of 10 or more yrs ago. They used to sell them in New Westminster  not that long ago (on the river near Brunette River) ---- I would not be surprized if factories, plants ...where-ever along the Fraser River (Anacis Is.) use the Fraser to dump hazard toxic chemicals into the water. ---Plus with all the big boys meaning ships barges etc... that use the river more & more (marine industrial hwy) moving 100's of millions... maybe billions  of dollars of "goods".....they do not like for 2-3 months dodging or slowing down for fish boats with their nets out.... Maybe the "powers that be" have accepted that as long as there are salmon on the WCVI & other northern BC coastal waters...that is good enough.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 05:41:10 PM »

In order to maintain the quality of life that Vancouverites wish to enjoy, I propose an immediate selective culling of evil species that are probably threatening our beloved salmon.

The followings probably qualify to be on the species of evil.

Humbolt squid
Salmon shark
Killer whale
Harbour seal
Sea lion
Sea otter
Sea gull
Bald eagle
Golden eagle
Black bear
Grizzly bear
River otter
Bull trout
Cutthroat trout
Rainbow trout
Northern pikeminnow
Sculpin
Lingcod
Rockfish
Pacific cod
Chub Mackerel
Jelly fish
Tuna
Marlin

The rest of the species should probably also be considered as possible species of evil so partial culling maybe required to cut the population in half, just in case they probably eat salmon.

Are you being sarcastic. It's hard to tell since no smiley.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 07:19:28 PM »

I go to the Iona Sewage Treatment Plant every 2 weeks (for work) and for at least a month now they've been doing some serious renovations; I always thought that they're doing some major upgrades because they've got heavy duty equipment there and they're digging big time - maybe they are finally upgrading the plant? (I sure hope so anyway)

52buick

• These pretzels are making me thirsty!!
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 07:49:25 PM »

>:(DFO and its big media machinery are sure in high gear and so many of us are swallowing it hook, line and sinker. Blame is being levelled in every direction except one...at DFO. Their job/purpose is to look after the fish that all of us treasure so much and every year they screw it up. Their explanation for lower than expected returns...."we don't know what happened" and their reaction to this..."we must close down the sport/recreational fishery." Wow...millions of missing fish; I think I heard that a couple of times from DFO over the past few years.   

How can a government department get it wrong soooooo often and still be immune from criticism. Oh yeah...it's government ::)

arimaBOATER

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 08:54:28 PM »

Lots of good pts. being made...... also Justin makes a good pt. about on a small scale if his aquarium water gets to a poor quality & if parsites infest his fish = BAD NEWS.  .............. Well our Georgia Straight waters in a sense is a LARGE aquarium & our smolts are in un-clean toxic dirty waters with sea-lice. = BAD NEWS  ------------------------------------ Was web-surfing & a chap posted an article from the Vancouver Sun newspaper. It was an eye-openner !!! Basically said that BC fish stores can & are importing all the wild sockeye they need from Alaska & Russia. The acticle tells about the abundance of wild sockeye & of good quality from Russia. Great article. I'm not too computer smart so maybe someone would make a link to the article if ya think it is interesting.-------------------------------------- In your search box type in : Vancouver Sun June 19/2008 Russian Salmon invades B.C. seafood marketplace. ------------------------------------------------------------ Imagine BC has to import wild salmon. ( NOW TO GIVE MY COMPUTER KEYBOARD A REST FOR A WK. or so... AS I've posted alot lately but will enjoy reading all member's posts.... this is a great site & thanks to Rodney & gang to have us gather in this way to share)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 09:00:31 PM »

It's our own fault for electing a government with no conscience.  Blame gov't all you want but its your own fault for voting them in.  (the royal you)