Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Halt sport fishery to save sockeye: Crey  (Read 34013 times)

gman

Re: Halt sport fishery to save sockeye: Crey
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2009, 09:28:03 AM »

From the native persepective the fish are theirs, and if DFO askes them to curtail nettign from 100,000s down to 10.000s, then sport fishermen must go from 100s or 1000s down to zero. The governement supports them in this thinking so the future Fraser sport fishery is bleak imo, BB or o BB.

I live in Steveston and walk by lots of old fishboats that seldom leave the docks.  They used to gillnet the Fraser regularly, today there is still regular gillnetting, buts it is always natives. Some of the older fishermen complain lots about how this came about, but it is the reality, and everyone knows there is no going back.   The same trend is in the works for the sport fishery. If there is some way to keep a sport fishery on the Fraser, it might involve some method of the natives making some money off it.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Halt sport fishery to save sockeye: Crey
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2009, 10:56:19 PM »

I cant speak for others but as many of you know i am against Bottom Bouncing as we see it on the Fraser etc., but not once have i said or anyone else ive read say that bouncers are the cause of any fish decline.
It is the method that i dont agree with,period, and nothing to do with fish stocks.

I do agree that as a group we will have to use our collective selves to form any kind of a front.
Unfortunately the problem isnt just in the river itself but who knows where these fish could be ending up?

Hey look at the bright side.When they dam the Fraser our hydro costs should be next to nothing. ::)