Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 Fraser River sockeye updates  (Read 85262 times)

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: 2009 Fraser River sockeye updates
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 08:09:26 AM »

50/50 chance of an opening tomorrow.

goblin59

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 08:11:38 AM »

According the the Pacific Salmon Commission website, there has only been 1 day of test sets in Area 20.... 5 sets, 16 socks. If you compare this years test sets to last, the numbers are lower!

goblin59

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 08:36:19 AM »

I was referring to area 20 seine site 1, fished one day so far this year, July 22nd., 5 sets, 16 sockeye. Last year on the same day they did 6 sets and caught 1344 fish!! I'd say 0% chance of them opening it tomorrow.

DOdGER

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 09:22:48 AM »

Hi,

long time lurker, first time poster  ;).

They meet on Fridays to make adjustments to the regs. I think 50/50 opening tomorrow is pretty unlikely considering the lower numbers and the amount of early run still in the river. I think more likely 50/50 chance of an opening next weekend. Also remember that when the open the rec fishery, they will open the gillnetters in the river, so that will ruin the first 3 days of fishing  :'(. I will be out there tomorrow fishing Springs, but 2 socks would be a nice surprise.

big ben

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 01:56:49 PM »

U know wut i think they will open it on the long weekend ... and i have many theories for this thinking..
1.) Keep all the anglers happy..for opening sockeye
2.)keep the tackle shops happy...all the people wanting to get tackle
3.) wont be any fish caught... not much fish out there... all the netters
i have been fishing this whole week and have caught 3 sockeye and 3 springs
fishin is pretty good right now but hope fully they open it for sockeye

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 02:31:14 PM »

If the numbers are not there keep it closed. Remember this year and next year were supposed to be  projected big runs for Sockeye. If the forecast is way off it paints a pretty dismal picture for the future of Salmon in this province.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 03:31:04 PM »

The main run of summers 6-7 million fish dont show in the test fishery in big numbers untill 2nd week of aug. the early summer run should be out there now but not looking to good yet.so its wait and see. long weekend might be open depending on test results next week.i would rather wait for the bigger run as when its slow the river gets very crowded and lots of bad tempered fishers.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 05:31:00 PM »

just saw the latest from dfo bleak reading, we might not get any openings the way its going.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 07:12:20 PM »

Friday, July 24, 2009

The Fraser River Panel met Friday, July 24 to receive an update on the migration of the Fraser River sockeye runs and review the status of migration conditions in the Fraser River watershed.

The abundance of Fraser River sockeye migrating through marine assessment areas is still tracking below pre-season expectations. The proportion of four year old Fraser sockeye returning thus far this season continues to be lower than expected, which is of concern since they were expected to dominate the return of Fraser sockeye. At the meeting today, the run size estimate for Early Stuart sockeye was decreased from 110,000 fish to 85,000 fish. Estimates of Early Summer-run sockeye run size are still uncertain; however they suggest that the return is considerably lower than the pre-season forecast. Consequently, for fisheries planning purposes the Panel adopted the 90% probability level forecast of 264,000 Early Summer-run sockeye.

On July 23 the Fraser River discharge at Hope was approximately 4,300 cms, which is lower than normal, while the water temperature at Qualark Creek was 18.0 0C, which is higher than average for this date. Fraser River water temperatures are forecast to reach almost 21 0C by August 1. Water temperatures exceeding 20 0C may cause high pre-spawning mortality of Fraser River sockeye.

All commercial fisheries in Panel Area waters remain closed to fishing at the present time.

The next in-season meeting of the Panel is scheduled to occur on July 27 (if warranted by stock assessment information) or July 28, 2009.

roeman

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 09:11:43 PM »

165000 to 140000 to 110000 to 85000
Why not just say they have new idea what is coming or when and save all the BS.
Hope they don't get paid to have these meetings, because they obviously mean nothing..
Are you fishin or catchin

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 09:34:57 PM »

What I find sad is that DFO does nothing about the 24/7 netting going on from Chilliwack to Hope.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

sagerod

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2009, 02:52:33 PM »

http://

Its the same old BS every year. Its sad to see the netting that goes on.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2009, 03:03:17 PM »

Fisheries and Oceans Canada officers patrol the Fraser River on a regular basis, both days and nights, and attend calls whenever possible. Unauthorized nets are seized (more than you are assuming) each year. Attend a SFAC meeting where each season's enforcement is summarized to gain a better understanding what is being done to tackle poaching in ALL sectors instead of making assumptions that Fisheries and Oceans Canada does nothing. The only fault that Fisheries and Oceans Canada has in this case is not doing more on outreaching and improving their public relation, instead they choose to utilize the limited amount of money that they have on where the problems are.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2009, 06:51:58 PM »

Are there any other repercussions other than taking thier nets away?
A slap on the wrist, or a nominal fine is not going to cut it. It is like a child disobeying thier parents. If boundaries are not set, and enforced with consequences then they will continue to push the boundaries and take the finger shake from the parent who says "don't do it again little Johnny..."

Davis

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2009, 08:35:39 PM »

One day they will clean up the rif raff that chose to disobey the law,and I can't wait till it happens.Soon I hope.