Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 Fraser River sockeye updates  (Read 84955 times)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
Re: 2009 Fraser River sockeye updates
« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2009, 06:41:33 PM »

I guess  this will mean Peg Leg will be a zoo, even if people have to swim across. They better have the search & rescue team on standby.  ;D

But seriously, if DFO really think bb can threaten the fish stock with the minimum impact (not supported by the study or statistical number), then they should stop all groups from fishing. Have the gut to face up to FN and go after all illegal nets & check out all illegal sales of fish. We are the scape goat of their incompetence, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:26:42 PM by Steelhawk »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #136 on: August 14, 2009, 07:55:06 PM »

well I am glad they kept the rest of the river open so that some of us can still fly fish and chuck spoons for those early pinks.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2009, 08:27:26 PM »

Rod, are they projecting a rec. fishery for pinks and chum in September or later in August?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
No fishing for salmon, Aggasiz/Rosedale Bridge to Hwy 1 Bridge in Hope
« Reply #138 on: August 14, 2009, 09:39:49 PM »

If there's an issue about conservation/detrimental affect of sport fishing, shut the whole thing down.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 09:41:09 PM by Rodney »
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #139 on: August 14, 2009, 10:11:34 PM »

Whats it going to take before Gordo opens his eyes,extinction of the run?

Do your research. Its the federal government that has control of our tidal waters where the problems exsist.....

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

tsawytscha

« Reply #140 on: August 15, 2009, 01:14:25 AM »

Do your research. Its the federal government that has control of our tidal waters where the problems exsist.....

One would expect that the two Governments (provincial & federal) DO communicate with each other and that the provincial would inform the federals about any problems here... :o

tsawytscha

Re: No fishing for salmon, Aggasiz/Rosedale Bridge to Hwy 1 Bridge in Hope
« Reply #141 on: August 15, 2009, 01:21:17 AM »

If there's an issue about conservation/detrimental affect of sport fishing, shut the whole thing down.

I think that their (DFO) point now is to minimize fishing from the easy accessible bars (from the shore).  These "walk-in" bars are usually packed up by real "bottom bouncers" and "snaggers"  who
are throwing (their method cannot be even named "casting") their  80 lb lines, size 1 hook and 4-5 oz leads directly into the pools under their feet and kill a fish first before "studying"
whether they snagged  a salmon or sturgeon.  But the reality is, that you can get more fish by flyfishing than by bb method.....

wacker

« Reply #142 on: August 15, 2009, 11:56:36 AM »

Oh no that darn s----ing word sprouted up again...hope nobody is offended.Or are you referring to fish getting "snagged into nets"? ;) ;)

glycine

BB is allowed below agassiz bridge?
« Reply #143 on: August 15, 2009, 06:03:26 PM »

"Recreational fishing opportunities for trout, steelhead and sturgeon and other non-salmon species in this area remain open"
this means BB is allowed below agassiz bridge?
i fished at pegleg for 2weeks,  but i couldnt see any socks caught. which means BB is "not impacting sockeye salmon".

glycine

« Reply #144 on: August 15, 2009, 08:05:11 PM »

THEY AREN"T THERE YET? in the middle of aug?
i saw only one sock caught at pegleg since 2007.
2006 was different story. the bar was accesible early(probably end of jul). every time i fished there i got my sockeye limit.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 08:09:29 PM by glycine »

glycine

« Reply #145 on: August 15, 2009, 08:39:28 PM »

i found wild sockeye at the superstore in north vancouver today.
they cost about $20 per fish.
for wild cohos $20-30 per fish.
the what i concern is pinks..
they cost $5-8 for two fish pack.

colin6101

« Reply #146 on: August 15, 2009, 09:28:19 PM »

I saw some people attempting to bottom bounce in the tidal area of the fraser yesterday. I understand why people use the method when the water can't be fished any other way, but watching someone attempt to fish water with very little current running through it in this way was just silly. I was chucking spoons hoping for an early pink or some jack springs, and happened to glance at their tackle box and all they had was bettys, wool and hooks. They would cast out, their weight would sink to the bottom and stay there. Then they would reel it in and repeat. It's sad thats the only way some people know how to fish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2009, 09:49:57 PM »

I saw some people attempting to bottom bounce in the tidal area of the fraser yesterday. I understand why people use the method when the water can't be fished any other way, but watching someone attempt to fish water with very little current running through it in this way was just silly. I was chucking spoons hoping for an early pink or some jack springs, and happened to glance at their tackle box and all they had was bettys, wool and hooks. They would cast out, their weight would sink to the bottom and stay there. Then they would reel it in and repeat. It's sad thats the only way some people know how to fish.

This is when you go up to them and say... "Hey, have you checked out that website Fishing with Rod? It tells you how to catch salmon on the Tidal Fraser with spoons." ;D

Education (not to be confused with "education" in some of the sockeye threads) can make things better for everyone.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #148 on: August 15, 2009, 11:06:04 PM »

WHY would you bb when DFO has asked anglers to use methods which DO NOT target sockeye? >:(  It will be thanks to the bb crowd to have the rest of the Fraser closed. Maybe the reason no sockeye were caught at Pegleg is BECAUSE THEY AREN"T THERE YET.

I have fished bars below island 22 the last few weeks.. i can say i hook more springs then sockeye. And i have nothing to hide, i love to Bounce...  You just have to know where to anchor your boat.. you want to fish the "sping"  water not slack water where the sockeye most likely to be resting.  Plus, i have talked to the researcher guy the other day, he told me that they have over 175 fish in the pan last seaseon, all caught by bouncing, hold them for 24hrs and only 2 didn't make it...  which is just little over 1%.  Which it proven that even a snaged sockeye, if release they will make it to spawing ground.   

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #149 on: August 15, 2009, 11:32:55 PM »

I have fished bars below island 22 the last few weeks.. i can say i hook more springs then sockeye. And i have nothing to hide, i love to Bounce...  You just have to know where to anchor your boat.. you want to fish the "sping"  water not slack water where the sockeye most likely to be resting.  Plus, i have talked to the researcher guy the other day, he told me that they have over 175 fish in the pan last seaseon, all caught by bouncing, hold them for 24hrs and only 2 didn't make it...  which is just little over 1%.  Which it proven that even a snaged sockeye, if release they will make it to spawing ground.   

Don't know one guy fishing the bars that i've been on that is not "bombing it" into the spring water, the further you can cast the more springs you get.