Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 Fraser River sockeye updates  (Read 85256 times)

tsawytscha

Re: 2009 Fraser River sockeye updates
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2009, 07:32:57 PM »

i was watching cbc news today, they said the scientist were expecting a run of 9.5 million sockeyes! I am just wondering how can 9 million fish go missing? hopefully they find a solution and the government of bc gives more funding in perserving all pacific wild salmon.

well, so 9.5 sockeye are missing......you can bet on  that about 100 milion of fry (smolts) died on their "en-route" to the ocean  two years ago (passing about 11 to 15 fish farms per inlet and being infested by sea lice and actually, eaten alive...) and the remaining "missing" sockeye
were simply too sick and weak to survive the attacks of predatros, ocean overfishing and changes in water temperature.  Go to today's The Globe And Mail and read the sockeye article.  Any discussions at "our end", like the fishing method here on the Fraser, to close Fraser to all fishing now,
whether FN are illegaly dirfting...are almost about nothing if the DFO by their mismanagement already allowed such catastrofic destruction of our wild salmon a few years ago and still allowing all this happening. Every country (just look at Norway) had the same problem with open-pen fish farming.
These farms almost destroyed their salmon runs within a few years.  The open-pen fish farm is not allowed anymore in Norway and even after 8 years after closing the open-pen fish farming, the slamon runs here are still recovering and the country still has a major problem to reinstate the wild runs.
Unless the Government starts to properly regulate fish farming (and type of fish farms) here in BC, unles they will put a possession limit for salmon (let's say 5 chinook and 5 sockeye, 10 chum and 10 pinks per year ) during the recovery time  here in the Fraser, within a short period of time, we
will have no salmon in the fraser. Period. I still remeber how shocke I was when the possession limit for wild Coho was 8 (!!!) about 10 -13 years ago (Chilliwack River), peopel were taking garbage bags full of coho...why such limit ?? Why not 2 or 4 ??  Now, we have no wild coho in Chilliwack
I am sick and tired about all this  (and this is what the Government wants..to annoy us so much that we will give up and they can do their own agenda). But I will not give up fighting for our salmon.

tsawytscha

« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2009, 07:44:54 PM »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/millions-of-missing-fish-signal-crisis-onthefraserriver/article1249976/

Disastrous situation. Pointing fingers AIN'T gonna bring them back!

IMO, the greed factor has certainly entered the ranks of the recreational sector, and that is exactly what will see the river shut down. Likely much sooner than later methinks.
This continual bickering and blatent ignoring of what is right under these dire circumstances is exactly what The Dino and the FN's can and do count on - we're are ALWAYS good for it and they well know it. Makes me damn near shamed to be labeled as a recreational angler when I'm lumped in with the greedy swine literally lined up at the trough...  :'(

Nog

Yes pointing fingers will definitely not bring them back....however, it is beyond my comprehension how the DFO can just predict a return of 9.5 mil sockeye , waiting for them to simply show up , and do nothing to prevent the disaster,
when they have all scientic and biologic studies in their hands showing a major declining and major problems with returning sockeye over past years.  DFO did nothing except counting fish coming into the Fraser (when 90% already died on their way TO the Ocean and in the Ocean by a disease or overfishing)  and researching mortality based on BB method.  How many will die (slamon and other fish like sturgeon as well) using the  net drifting method ?? But this mortality is still nominal compared to the major source of salmon destruction - fish farms and commercial overfishing, and also the environmenal  conditions (gravel pitts in the Fraser spawnign grounds, pollution, etc).

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2009, 09:18:58 PM »

Makes me damn near shamed to be labeled as a recreational angler when I'm lumped in with the greedy swine literally lined up at the trough...  Cry

Nog,

You rock, thanks for putting into words exactly how some of us feel.  All 3 user groups (Sport, Commercial & FN) have always been greedy, we want to catch fish and more is always better... But it seems like the last 10 years or so of sockeye "harvesting" has raised the recreational sector to new heights of disgusting greediness putting us in the same ranks as some members of the other two groups. ???  For this year, leave the sockeye alone, is it really this much of an addiction??  Do what you can, complaining about others taking more fish doesn't help in the end.   
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2009, 09:40:32 PM »

Makes me damn near shamed to be labeled as a recreational angler when I'm lumped in with the greedy swine literally lined up at the trough...  Cry

Nog,

You rock, thanks for putting into words exactly how some of us feel.  All 3 user groups (Sport, Commercial & FN) have always been greedy, we want to catch fish and more is always better... But it seems like the last 10 years or so of sockeye "harvesting" has raised the recreational sector to new heights of disgusting greediness putting us in the same ranks as some members of the other two groups. ???  For this year, leave the sockeye alone, is it really this much of an addiction??  Do what you can, complaining about others taking more fish doesn't help in the end.   

Guys, guys turn down the brightness on your halos.....   they are hurting my eyes  ;D ;D

How can you stand to hang around mere mortals like us??  ::)
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

goblin59

« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2009, 09:48:55 PM »

I say leave them alone for a full 4 year cycle..... then see what the numbers look like. Just no fishing them for 1 year won't cut it!

buck

« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2009, 11:27:37 PM »

IRONNOGGIN

Pretty much sums up my feels . Great post.

Davis

« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2009, 07:49:55 AM »

Shut the river down to everyone untill this disaster can be figured out!Do it now before we lose our beloved Salmon runs fo good!

tsawytscha

« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2009, 11:42:02 AM »

Shut the river down to everyone untill this disaster can be figured out!Do it now before we lose our beloved Salmon runs fo good!

FINALLY, some attention is being paid to our salmon disaster ...we might get a royal iquiry an a DFO audit. :o

http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/52998597.html

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2009, 12:54:58 PM »

Quote of the day:

"It's going to be devastating to everyone," said Irvin Figg, president of the United Fishermen and Allied Workers Union.
Figg thinks it's possible too many fish spawned in the previous sockeye cycle, resulting in too much competition for scarce food.

Yup I am sure that is the reason.   The solution is clearly more fish farms so the smolts can fatten on the larvae of the sea lice!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2009, 01:18:09 PM »

Friday, August 14, 2009

The Fraser River Panel met Friday, August 14 to receive an update on the migration of the Fraser River sockeye and pink salmon runs and review the status of migration conditions in the Fraser River watershed.

Test fishing catches of Fraser sockeye have remained far below expectations over the past several days. At the meeting today, the run size estimates of 175,000 Early Summer-run sockeye and 600,000 Summer-run sockeye were unchanged. Recent DNA analyses indicate that the proportion of Late-run sockeye in the marine approach areas is increasing. At the meeting today, the run size estimate of Harrison sockeye was increased from 125,000 fish to 150,000 fish, which is close to their 25% probability level forecast of 160,000 fish. The estimated peak marine timing of Harrison sockeye through Area 20 is August 4, which is one day later than expected. It is too early to provide an assessment on the run size of Birkenhead and non-Harrison Late-run sockeye, however, if they are near their forecast level of abundance, their 50% marine timing through Area 20 would have to be several days later than expected.

Test fishing catches of pink salmon by purse seines in Johnstone Strait have been at moderate levels over the past week. In Juan de Fuca Strait, test fishing catches of pinks have been generally low, although they increased on August 13. Assessments of the abundance of Fraser River pink salmon will be made near their expected peak migration through the marine approach areas, which usually occurs in late August.

Due to the low abundance of Fraser sockeye thus far this season, there have been no directed commercial fisheries for Fraser River sockeye. All commercial fisheries in Panel Area waters remain closed to fishing at the present time.

The next in-season meeting of the Panel is scheduled to occur on August 18, 2009.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #130 on: August 14, 2009, 02:32:14 PM »

There was another announcement by the PSC today - the interesting part is in italics:

The Fraser River Panel met today to receive assessments from the Pacific Salmon Commission
staff on the status of the Fraser River sockeye and pink salmon runs. Test fishing catches of Fraser
sockeye have remained far below expectations over the past several days. The extremely low abundance
of four year-old Early Summer-run and Summer-run Fraser sockeye to-date has prevented the
commencement of commercial fisheries that were scheduled during pre-season planning. The diversion
rate of Fraser River sockeye through Johnstone Strait is currently estimated to be 50%. There has been
steady escapement of Fraser River sockeye past Mission and Hells Gate over the past week although it
has still been well below expectations.

At the Panel meeting on August 11, the run size estimate for Early Summer-run sockeye of
150,000 fish was increased to 175,000 fish, with 50% migration timing through Area 20 of July 30, which
is four days later than expected. At the meeting today this run size estimate was unchanged. The
estimated escapement of Early Summer-run sockeye past Mission through August 13 is approximately
127,000 fish.

At the meeting on August 11, the Panel adopted a run size estimate of 600,000 Summer-run
sockeye; with 50% migration timing through Area 20 of August 4, which is one day earlier than expected.
At the meeting today this run size estimate was unchanged. The estimated escapement of Summer-run
sockeye past Mission through August 13 is approximately 344,000 fish.

The reason(s) for the very low returns of most Fraser sockeye stocks to-date this season are
presently unknown. However, some potential factors can be rejected. First, the spawning escapement in
the parent year (2005) of four year old Fraser sockeye was 3,300,000 fish; more than 1,000,000 fish
greater than the average escapement on this cycle. There has been no commercial harvest of Fraser River
sockeye this year and the total catch (from First Nations food, social and ceremonial fisheries and test
fisheries used to assess the return) to-date is only 47,000 fish. Thus, overfishing and insufficient
escapement can be ruled out as large numbers of sockeye reached their spawning areas in 2005 and only a
small fraction of the total Fraser sockeye run has been harvested in 2009. Second, freshwater survival
(egg-to-fry or smolt stage) was not a contributing factor in either the Chilko or Quesnel sockeye stocks
which were forecast to produce 7,750,000 fish (approximately 75%) of the 10,488,000 total adult Fraser
River sockeye forecast in 2009. Fry abundances measured through acoustic surveys in Quesnel Lake
(52,000,000 fry) were only slightly below average for the cycle (58,000,000 fry) and the smolt
outmigration estimated through an enumeration fence at the outlet of Chilko Lake (77,000,000 smolts)
was nearly double the previous highest outmigration (40,000,000 smolts) in the 50 year time series.
Third, the warmer than average Fraser River water temperatures in 2009 are also not a factor in the low
return of adults in 2009 because the in-season estimates of Fraser sockeye abundance are generated from
a combination of marine-area test fisheries and lower Fraser River hydro-acoustic surveys and both of
these assessment tools have provided consistent data indicating very low Fraser sockeye abundances.
The above factors, coupled with the poor returns across most of the Fraser River sockeye stocks
suggests that some factors in marine areas sometime between the time of ocean entry of the smolts in late
spring and summer of 2007 and the adult return in 2009 as potential causal factors. Although there have
been some preliminary discussions with experts that conduct research on juvenile sockeye in the ocean,
the current fisheries management focus remains on in-season assessments of the remaining migration of
Fraser sockeye salmon (primarily Late-run stocks) and pink salmon which are expected to peak over the
next few weeks. These assessments along with assessments of other salmon returns along the Pacific
coast are needed to help focus future investigations into potential causal factors for the very low Fraser
sockeye returns being observed.

Recent DNA analyses indicate that the proportion of Late-run sockeye in the marine approach
areas is increasing. A run size estimate of 125,000 Harrison Late-run sockeye (nearly double their 50%
probability level forecast of 69,000 fish) was approved at the Panel meeting on August 11, with peak
Area 20 marine timing of August 4, which is one day later than expected. At the meeting today, the run
size estimate of Harrison sockeye was increased to 150,000 fish, which is close to their 25% probability
level forecast of 160,000 fish. The estimated peak marine timing of Harrison sockeye through Area 20 is
August 4, which is one day later than expected. Thus far this season, Harrison sockeye are unique in that
they are the only Fraser sockeye stock that appears to be returning in higher than their forecast level of
abundance, which may be associated with their different life history and marine migratory behavior
relative to other Fraser sockeye stocks. It is too early to provide an assessment on the run size of
Birkenhead and non-Harrison Late-run sockeye, however, if they are near their forecast level of
abundance, their 50% marine timing through Area 20 would have to be several days later than expected.
Recent DNA analyses indicate that True Late-run sockeye are exhibiting little marine-area delay prior to
entering the Fraser River. The estimated escapement of True Late-run sockeye past Mission through
August 13 is approximately 118,000 fish.

Now, lets look at the possible reasons for the low returns.

As DFO says "The above factors, coupled with the poor returns across most of the Fraser River sockeye stocks
suggests that some factors in marine areas sometime between the time of ocean entry of the smolts in late
spring and summer of 2007 and the adult return in 2009 as potential causal factors
."

Ocean conditions - not applicable because Chinook, Coho and other area Sockeye returns are good - they all swim in the same ocean.
Smolt escapement - not applicable because there was a huge number of smolts in the parent year.

That really only leaves the fish farm issue.

I wll be writing letters to my MP (Nina Grewal) in the next few days to outline my thoughts on this.
My MP has the Fraser River in her riding and has already expressed issues with problems on the river.
I will also be sending a letter to the Minister in charge of DFO (Gail Shae).

In the defence of DFO, they really had no chance to get things right because their initial information showed a good return and you can't tell until they actually arrive (or don't arrive). I do blame DFO for letting the BC Provincial govt having free reign with the fish farms - the oceans are a federal jurisdiction.

Go to this website to find out who your MP is: http://webinfo.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/MainMPsAddressList.aspx?TimePeriod=Current&Language=E

tsawytscha

« Reply #131 on: August 14, 2009, 03:49:08 PM »

There was another announcement by the PSC today - the interesting part is in italics:

Now, lets look at the possible reasons for the low returns.

As DFO says "The above factors, coupled with the poor returns across most of the Fraser River sockeye stocks
spring and summer of 2007 and the adult return in 2009 as potential causal factors
."

Ocean conditions - not applicable because Chinook, Coho and other area Sockeye returns are good - they all swim in the same ocean.
Smolt escapement - not applicable because there was a huge number of smolts in the parent year.

That really only leaves the fish farm issue.

I wll be writing letters to my MP (Nina Grewal) in the next few days to outline my thoughts on this.
My MP has the Fraser River in her riding and has already expressed issues with problems on the river.
I will also be sending a letter to the Minister in charge of DFO (Gail Shae).

In the defence of DFO, they really had no chance to get things right because their initial information showed a good return and you can't tell until they actually arrive (or don't arrive). I do blame DFO for letting the BC Provincial govt having free reign with the fish farms - the oceans are a federal jurisdiction.

Go to this website to find out who your MP is: http://webinfo.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/MainMPsAddressList.aspx?TimePeriod=Current&Language=E

I just recently wrote two letters to the Minister Gail Shea  regarding the sockeye (well, salmon)  disaster and uncontrolled fish farming here in BC , asking for an immediate inquiry and audit and also I wrote a letter to the Governor General (Honourable Michaelle Jean) to express my serious concern, as  the Crown should be aware that her servants (DFO ministry and the Government - provincial and federal) are irresponsibly depleting our precious natural resources.

tsawytscha

« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2009, 03:54:10 PM »

I just recently wrote two letters to the Minister Gail Shea  regarding the sockeye (well, salmon)  disaster and uncontrolled fish farming here in BC , asking for an immediate inquiry and audit and also I wrote a letter to the Governor General (Honourable Michaelle Jean) to express my serious concern, as  the Crown should be aware that her servants (DFO ministry and the Government - provincial and federal) are irresponsibly depleting our precious natural resources.

Davis

« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2009, 04:21:21 PM »

Whats it going to take before Gordo opens his eyes,extinction of the run?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2009, 04:43:24 PM »

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=119313&ID=recreational

Effective one hour after  sunset Sunday  August 16, 2009 until further notice, a no fishing for all Salmon species restriction will be in place from the Aggasiz / Rosedale Bridge upstream to the Highway No. 1 Bridge at Hope, BC.

Current run size estimates of Fraser River sockeye continue to be well below abundances required to provide a total allowable catch.  The Department's priorities are to ensure that there is sufficient sockeye returning to the spawning grounds for conservation purposes.  The Department is continuing to manage fisheries to minimize sockeye impacts and provide priority access to First Nations' fishing for food, social and ceremonial purposes. 

Anglers fishing for chinook salmon in areas that remain open to salmon fishing are required to take every measure possible to ensure that their fishing activities are not impacting sockeye salmon.  The Department is continuing to monitor the Fraser River to ensure compliance.

Recreational fishing opportunities for trout, steelhead and sturgeon and other non-salmon species in this area remain open.  In addition, recreational fishing opportunities on the Fraser River for pink and chum salmon are anticipated.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at (866) 431-FISH.