Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WCVI, May 23rd 2009  (Read 850 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
WCVI, May 23rd 2009
« on: May 23, 2009, 11:19:36 AM »

Hey All,

Just back in from the Briney, a tad tired (what else is new) but swaggerin' with a Grin for just having Been There;D
Did a little hunting on the ol' Stompin' Grounds the past few days, and saw some pretty incredible sights. Killer whales right up to the boat and snitchin' salmon off the line (hope those pix turn out!), Greys passing through in good numbers, and Humpies moving in to enjoy the banquet... for it seems just now there is a larger table set than we've seen in a handful of years.

And the salmon - My Oh My:o

While the usual feeders are here, their shape and condition is unusually rotund - The maturing fish are showing obvious signs of having "pastured" well as their average size and and condition for this time of year is quite notable. Not simply springs, but coho well developed into that size which brings strength and stamina, and even the odd Barkley bound sockeye that appeared  to be "stuffed" for late May.

I was still smiling about the fishing et al we just enjoyed when we hit the dock, where I shortly happened across my Buddy Paul. His Grin was even larger than mine, and I soon forced it out of him. A Thirty-Seven Pound Spring taken by his client just the day before!

Details of that Battle are incredible, but alas for those who were there to describe.
That size of fish in May catches attention, and thus the local press were all over it:
http://www.westcoaster.ca/modules/AMS/arti...hp?storyid=6807

I can indeed confirm the presence of thirty pound springs, decent in numbers and building quickly in the past two or three days. Many more in the high "Teenies" and into the "Twenty-Somethings". Hint here: If you're on the little guys, and the weather allows, move - you're in the wrong place. ;)
Hand in hand with their overall superb condition goes a fighting ability that is amongst the best I've had the opportunity to Enjoy! Even "mediums" fight so hard you'd swear they're Jumbos!

There are many suspicions as to the cause of this early showing, and of course I may have one or two myself... Regardless of whatever the combination might be, suffice it to say I am one Happy Man to headed back out there shortly!  ;D

For those who have chosen to get out there for another Go, and to whom it may be a first time experience, let me just say: You've chosen Most Wisely!! Should The Mistress Pacific continue Her current trend, it is going to be a Surprisingly Good season. All indications at this point suggest She will  :P

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Re: WCVI, May 23rd 2009
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 10:07:22 AM »

OOPS! Link not working? ::)
So this should take care of that: http://www.westcoaster.ca/modules/AMS/article.php?storyid=6807

Cheers

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: WCVI, May 23rd 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 10:29:05 PM »

Thanks for the report Nog. Things finally look like they're picking up  ;D
Actions speak louder than words.