Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Illegally fishing with two rods from shore  (Read 30894 times)

Stu

Re: Illegally fishing with two rods from shore
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2009, 06:51:07 PM »

I can say only two words; Well said.

--I often fish alone in a boat and use two rods. In larger lakes target species kokanee and trout often at different depths.
--In winter often 10 hrs or more of troll to hook up with larger rainbow.

--kokanee school and often fussy about colour and lure type use two rods as search pattern to dial in . When get into school usually switch to hot rod.

--Modern electronics have made it much easier to target fish with temp gages and fish finders so if you have this gear less need for the two rods except to dial in colour and lure type.
--Many jurisdictions allow multiple rods. Recently these rule changes in western states for lakes only, some have introduced a second tag license.
--If two people in a boat and only one with a license then only one rod can be used.
--I don't see the crying argument of fairness. Some areas can use bait others no bait, are we going to have only one method of fishing province wide. Maybe only allow use of one lure.
--I can see two rods being abused on a river to "hold water" excluding other anglers.
--I don't get the idea of selling a fishing license then adding as many rules as possible to reduce the chance of catching. I agree with special regs when required to protect sensitive fisheries.

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

jon5hill

« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2009, 02:42:38 PM »

It's a matter of space constraints.. duh!

Consider fishing at any of the local lakes on a spring afternoon, when the lake is quite productive and lots of anglers are out.

At 2 rods each you would be looking at a very congested dock.

Put a guy in a boat and he can cruise around anywhere, unlimited in space.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2009, 08:04:20 AM »

It's a good rule.There is no need to change it.It does need to be enforced though. 8)
Riverman

rides bike to work

« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2009, 07:12:37 PM »

Is it legal for me to go out on my boat on the fraser and bar fish one rod and cast with another?

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2009, 07:34:13 PM »

No. You can fish two rods in a boat on a LAKE in B.C.

Birdsnest

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2010, 01:17:54 PM »

Can you imagine the fights, chaos, screaming on the vedder, if in addition to a bottom bouncing rig, everyone decides to do some float fishing with their "other" rod?  Or why not throw in a little bar fishing. 

Like someone said before.. the shoreline is a more scarce and therefore potentially crowded resource, which only makes sense that you need to limit things, as opposed to the giant blue ocean.

Also the shoreline, riverways, beaches are shared with non-fisherfolk, so again, to limit the impact of fishing makes sense once again.

And finally, the fact that a river, stream, lake and tidal flat is smaller than an ocean (with smaller populations of fish) it only makes sense that the ocean can stand the added fishing pressure of an addition rod.

End of discussion.. fish one rod..  and sorry.. but NO to groundbaiting for carp...

ssd0904

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2010, 06:50:43 PM »

I think we should allow 2 hooks :o

Nitroholic

« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2010, 10:38:37 PM »

I think we should allow 2 hooks :o

And why do you think that  ???

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2010, 09:38:51 AM »

And why do you think that  ???

--couple of reasons: If the hooks intended to catch one fish in an area where legal to keep fish caught. When legal to keep fish why all the regulations to prevent catching.
--examples: trailing hook on bucktail, front hook used to hold bait like herring, dropper fly, bass plug, hook on dodger with trailing hook.

--in some instances the larger treble hook set up prevents smaller fish from swallowing the lure.

--I think if the obvious intents of the rig is to catch one fish, (I don't mean 10 hooks on a stringer each with a different bait) it would be suitable in some situations. Again not everywhere.

ssd0904

« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2010, 05:45:05 PM »

Exactly.

fish fishburn

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2010, 05:29:12 AM »

Interesting topic. Here in Ontario where I live you are only allowed one rod per fisherman whether you are fishing from shore or in a boat.  Ice fishing you are allowed two lines per person. You can punch as many holes as you want and have gear set up for each hole but you can only have two lines down at any given time. Needless to say I know alot of guys who fish pike and musky using two rods. One for casting and the other for float fishing with live or dead bait. Unfortunately we have the same problem here as in B.C. lack of CO"s. I have only been checked once in twenty years on the water by a C.O. most of the time I see them around the boat launch checking creels and licences just before dark when fisherman are coming in. Maybe the logic in B.C. with the 2 rods in a boat versus 1 rod on shore is that its to easy to wonder away from a second rod leaving it unattended if two were allowed from shore. Consequently the fish are deep hooked and mortality rate is low if released. Just my 2 cents.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2010, 08:19:46 AM »

--unfortunate but it seems BC tries to meet or beat Ontario. If Ontario cuts Co's by 10 % , we'll cut them by 20%
--The good new is Most fishers follow the regs and if they, do not agree. try to change them rather than ignore them.