Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Addicted to Plastic, documentary on CBC at 10pm on April 13th 2009  (Read 2160 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

The feature document on The Passionate Eye on CBC tonight is "Addicted to Plastic" for those who maybe interested. The topic is quite relevant to the ongoing work that has been done by the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Coalition. While removal of garbage improves the recreational experience on the river, its indirect impact is the reduction (although very insignifcant) of amount of plastics that drift into the Pacific Ocean.

The documentary also takes a look at the recycling program that is happening in Denmark. 90% of the plastics are recycled there, that's actually a lot higher than what I thought based on the amount of recycling that Nina and I do over there. :P Actually I am skeptical about that number. Just about all of our plastic waste are thrown away as garbage, which is burned for energy.

10:00pm on CBC (channel 26).

http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/passionateeyemonday/2009/addictedtoplastic/

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Addicted to Plastic, documentary on CBC at 10pm on April 13th 2009
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 08:01:04 PM »

Thanks, will tape as going out. I am addicted to them too as I pick up everyone I see. ;D  ;D Now you and buck's wife will not be able to laugh at me any more ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 09:27:36 PM »

We laugh until we are asked to do the sorting of bottles and cans. :-X

Pretty good film, especially the last 20 minutes where alternatives are discussed. Too often we criticize the use of plastics without providing alternative solutions, which isn't really that productive.

I like these sites that the show featured:

http://www.plantic.com.au/

http://www.natureworksllc.com/

It starts in 30 minutes. :)

Buck_wife

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 03:34:36 PM »

yuck! my fingers would like to retract into my hands at the thought of sorting out cans and bottles from the clean up!!! :-X

and we don't laugh at you Chris, we laugh with you.... ;D, and sometimes you find cool stuff!! Nic's got the best board in the whole cul de sac!!! lol ;)

Tee

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 07:14:04 PM »

Very good documentary. we watched it last night, but didn't get to finish it however.

Thanks for letting us know about it.
I only fish on days that end with "y".