Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buying Native caught fish  (Read 38066 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Buying Native caught fish
« on: March 25, 2009, 09:35:23 PM »

I heard the other day that it is now legal for anyone to buy a native caught fish as long as they get a receipt from the seller. Anyone else heard this?
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Nitroholic

Re: Buying Native caught fish
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 01:11:56 PM »

that's insane  :'(

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 07:01:51 PM »

Link?

Sounds like internet Bee Ess to me.

ja

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 07:40:22 PM »

Well, with some of the policies out there, I (unfortunately) wouldn't be too surprised.   :-\ But I gotta agree with Sam on that one

blader

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 08:07:23 PM »

I doubt it will make a difference. The Natives willl not go to the effort to make their business legal. They will keep selling as long as misinformed people keep buying.

skibumAB

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 06:42:32 AM »

Yess occifer, i bought this unclipped coho from the indians, and no i haven't been drinking. ???

UFV_Poor_Fisher

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 11:39:23 PM »

Cant see there being truth to that, but regardless if someone generally is going to but a salmon off of a reserve its going to happen legal or illegally, doesn't matter the label, its still going to happen...*sigh*...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 12:32:10 PM »

Only fish caught under a commercial fishing licence may be legally sold. At some times during the year the Department of Fisheries & Oceans (DFO) enters into agreements with First Nations to allow sale of salmon. At this time there are no such agreements in place, thus no authorized sale of salmon. Once these agreements are in place and a native fishery authorizing sale is announced DFO advises the public through it's Fishery Notice system. You can check this site regularly or sign up for automatic notification. http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm

odesseus

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 04:43:45 AM »

Never ever, under any circumstances buy native fish...agreement or not! Native drift net fishing kills sturgeon and other species with no regard for conservation.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 02:02:22 PM »

That is a pretty broad statement odesseues. 

Don't paint all native drift fishermen with the same brush, a lot of the commercial guys are no better.  I wouldn't buy native caught fish unless it was a regulated fishery, which it never will be.

odesseus

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 08:25:39 PM »

I hear that statement about commercial vs native and I appreciate the comment. Upon reflection, for me it comes down to someone fishing under a 'food' license shouldn't be allowed to sell. It's like buying stolen fishing gear. But a big problem with small drift nets left in the river for hours at a time in fast water in the upper Fraser is un-targeted species kill; steelhead, sturgeon whatever - doesn't really matter who's putting them there, they just shouldn't be there.

drh

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 01:19:23 AM »

Bad Idea,don't do it cause it just encourages them to harvest more if the demands there

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 10:00:16 AM »

There will be more greed and illegal poaching with massive nets, and that does not help the already depleted Fraser sockeyes. Hope DFO will put conservation as their top mandate and not cave in to native demands when stocks are endangered. Last year, after we had been told to stop after only 5 days of opening, the natives were allowed to fish weeks after weeks catching hundreds of thousands of sockeyes with drift nets in a low cycle year. Why? Why not just have natives fish with traditional gears to limit the kill? Why do natives need that much fish to eat? You & I know the answers. Friends & neighbours were all bragging the deal they got from some secret native source and kind of joked why I had to sweat & expense so much gas & time to catch only 2 per day. They had more socs in their freezer than my meager catch. LOL.  ;D  Besides, they said they could pick the bigger ones for their $, where as we caught mostly smallies small enough to escape with net marks, and that is when you are lucky to catch something. Quite a few fishing comrades were skunked last year. So, the big question for some of them this year is -To fish or not to fish.... (Shakespere should have written this one too)  ;D Perhaps DFO & the natives will answer this one for us this year - a total closure to sporties. But will DFO risk the loss of the license revenue???  Any body can give an educated guess?  ;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 10:14:45 AM by Steelhawk »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 10:20:36 AM »

Upon reflection, for me it comes down to someone fishing under a 'food' license shouldn't be allowed to sell. It's like buying stolen fishing gear. But a big problem with small drift nets left in the river for hours at a time in fast water in the upper Fraser is un-targeted species kill; steelhead, sturgeon whatever - doesn't really matter who's putting them there, they just shouldn't be there.

yup, agreed

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 10:52:37 AM »

Don't buy native cought fish   >:( unless the government can find some way to tax it or remove some of the tax breaks they get already they are supposed to fish for food not for sale