Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pontoon boat drift trips...advice.  (Read 6427 times)

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
Pontoon boat drift trips...advice.
« on: February 27, 2009, 09:00:38 AM »

Hi Folks,

First, thanks for your attention  to this matter.
  I would like info on any river drift trips anyone may be aware of.I am looking for day or overnight trips with for fly fishing opportunities on rivers on VanIlsle or bc interior.I am an experienced drifter and fly fisher.  Also looking for put in and take out spots for those trips.
  I live on the island so I know that the stamp is short trips due to the falls  run and bucket ect.The cowie looks good but I have no idea of how long a trip like that would take.

I think I will get a GPS for these trips.

Once more, My primary purpose is to relax but I do want some quality catch and release time.

Thanks for any help.

j
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: Pontoon boat drift trips...advice.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 10:04:19 AM »

Best advice I can give is to check out the backroads mapbooks, they have paddling routes marked on the maps with in and out points, you can use the same ones for pontooning if you know what you are looking for.  They are all graded as well so you can be careful not to get in over your head.  Have fun!!!

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 10:31:28 AM »

That is solid advice I think.
I have those maps so I should be good to go. ;D

J

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 11:09:54 AM »

Late in summer into fall the Fraser below Hope offers some real interesting possibilities I remember someone posting (on an old long-gone forum) about his trips there. 8)

Again the map books and google earth would be a handy resource, if you're into fly fishing I can tell you there are some amazing hatches and Cutts tearing up the bugs that few people target-everyone wants to go for Salmon & Sturgeon.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 11:53:27 AM »

I abuse Google earth.  It is a hell of a tool if your keen.
The Fraser sounds nice.   And any dryfly action is awesome.   
Gosh, you got me thinking of sturgeon fishing out of my pontoon boat.  :o ... na, some other time.  But you got me thinking.
Anyway, so I could put it at hope and find trout on the way down.  What about the water clearity.  Is that an issue  ???Are there any other species to catch off drys?

j

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 12:40:54 PM »

Water clarity would be an issue if you decide to fish the Fraser River. Although the water is clearer in August and September than May and June, you are still looking at visibility of around 1 to 2ft, not exact dry fly condition in such a big system.

Another thing to consider when drifting the Fraser River is the sharp increase of jetboat traffic between Hope and Mission in the last five years. August and September are typically the busiest months on the Fraser River because it is the peak period of sturgeon fishing. In addition, there'll be ongoing First Nation fisheries during that time so the system is definitely quite congested.

For this year, you'll probably find yourself catching more pink salmon than trout on the Fraser.

Late summer and early fall is when coastal cutthroat trout fishing picks up again, especially at tributary mouths.

A better alternative that I would suggest is to drift the Thompson River. I have absolutely no river drifting experience, but I've seen and heard of anglers drifting the Thompson River. The fishing is typically good from late July until late September. You'd be both nymphing and dry flyfishing for rainbow trout in the 1 to 3lb range, or bigger at times. Camping availability is also good as there are many provincial and private campgrounds located by the river from Kamloops to Spences Bridge.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 01:26:29 PM »

Late in summer into fall the Fraser below Hope offers some real interesting possibilities I remember someone posting (on an old long-gone forum) about his trips there. 8)

Again the map books and google earth would be a handy resource, if you're into fly fishing I can tell you there are some amazing hatches and Cutts tearing up the bugs that few people target-everyone wants to go for Salmon & Sturgeon.

http://www.bcadventure.com/ianforbes/fraser/fraser.phtml

Yes Ian Forbes,
Love the article

Verdi

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 08:54:53 PM »

I have drifted a few of the local flows

I have floated the cowichian but i would not recommend it, as there is a lot of sweepers, and log jams. best to talk to a local about that flow.

Floated the Thompson many times in a 8 foot pontoon ( alittle small with camping gear), but i now have  a 14 foot driftboat, it is like luxury now, i can carry way more beer and a cooler too..

Floated the Squamish years ago it is hard to find puttins and take out you have to just drive and and find some places.
The river mostly runs close to the road, so you can find a few good spots. Most of the spots you can walk too.

The only one i would recommend would be the thompson, kamloops lake to junipeir is nice or juniper to ashcroft is better with nice runs.  Ashcroft to spence bridge is best not floated as the river can get rough, leave it to the jet boats.
I get a taxi at ashcroft and put in at the start of the river from the lake, it is around $90 taxi fair, the drift is best done in 3 days, with a late start one day, and 2 full days. best times are July, August, early Sept, if you go later in Sept the river is full of pinks and soxs, and the trout are hiding in the fast water.

If you want you can EM me.

Good luck,

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 09:40:15 AM »

Hadn't read the Forbes article the one I remember was guy floating in a pontoon raft, some good info though.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 10:23:04 AM »

I've heard too that some of the westslope cutthroat streams over in the koots can be great too....not sure if you can drift the Elk but that would be high on my list if you could.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 10:28:45 AM »

best way to fish the Elk is drifting it  ;D havent done it but might be this year  :o should be fun.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 11:23:01 AM »

best way to fish the Elk is drifting it  ;D havent done it but might be this year  :o should be fun.

Yup its on my list too.  Have you drifted the wigwam?  Those are the two I hear the most about.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 11:32:38 AM »

now i havent drifted the Wigwam but its aso on the list. that river gets some monster Bullies so ive heard & read on a few guiding sites for the area  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Hollis

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 12:02:07 PM »

I drifted the Elk river last year. One of the best fisning trips I have ever experienced. The Wigwam is best to just walk as there are so many spots to fish.
In total my 2- boys, wife and I fished all the rivers in fernie area for 10 days. On average we caught 15-20 each per day. No monster Bullies though. Next time.
The Fish Wisperer

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 04:08:33 PM »

now i havent drifted the Wigwam but its aso on the list. that river gets some monster Bullies so ive heard & read on a few guiding sites for the area  ;D

Ive heard that there is no more boating on the Wigwam. Any one heard otherwise ?

The Elk is worth the trip for sure. Try to  go as close to Elk Lk Prov park as possible and float down to Elkford.
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown