Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advice on fishing boats.  (Read 14021 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Advice on fishing boats.
« on: December 22, 2008, 10:33:45 AM »

The year before last I purchased and inflatable Sevylor Fishhunter boat (9ft model) and used it primarily for flyfishing on small lakes like Buntzen, Mill and Rolley Lake.   It works but I was disapointed for a number of reasons : the main issue is it was pretty useless with more than one person and I would have been way better off with a pontoon.  (Also, not a very comfortable platform to fish from - just too much of a compromise).

I have come to the reluctant conclusion that I should come up with something properly suited to the job.  These are the general things I am looking for.

a) The primary purpose is to fish on local lakes and sloughs.   (I will be flyfising and/or spincasting depending on whats more appropriate).
b) It should comfortably accomodate two people (..even better if it can accomodate two adults and my nephew who is 8 years old).
c) It should be easy to mount a small gas or electric motor.
d) Ideally it would be a stable platform so that I could stand up when fly fishing (I will likely be on my own a good deal of the time).
e) It should be easy to haul around on my own.
f) I would like to avoid the need for a trailer but I am thinking it probably won't be practical to go without one.
g) Looking for a second hand deal up to $1000 for boat/trailer/electric motor/oars. I think that is possible from what I have seen advertised on craigs list -  I am prepared to spend quite a bit of time waiting for the right thing to come up.

If any of you have had experience with this and would love to hear some suggestions.  I want to get it right this time :)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Advice on fishing boats.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 02:17:10 PM »

I think for something that your looking for $1000 including the motor, trailer, and everything else is going to be VERY difficult to find. Here is cheap list of what to expect:

1. Boat 10-12 footer flat bottom ( no less than $750-$1000 )
2. Electric motor ( for a cheap one used $100, for a good one like the Maxuum no less than $225-$250 used )
3. Trailer ( used $500 )

Right there you are looking $1350 on the cheapest and thats a big maybe. More realistic as cheap as it will be is $1750 for everything. Just remember you get what you pay for. If you buy some cheap boat and it leaks in 6 months you got what you paid for, if you find some trailer for $300 and need to replace the wiring, and tires and such again you got what you paid for.......

If I were you I would wait until you have a budget of somewhere around $2000.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

dan

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 02:19:53 PM »

I have a quicksilver 10.5  ft if you're interested let me know
Dan

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 05:00:40 PM »

Have a look at the Seattle craigslist, boats are much cheaper down there. If you dont mind a short drive you could easily find a nice setup for around $1000.

One guy I know bought a boat down there and the fellow drove up to the border to make the transaction.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 05:40:01 PM »

If room for 2 adults and a child is a deal breaker then that means 12 feet.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 06:27:00 PM »

You are right.  You should have no problem finding one for less than 1 k in Washington State. 

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 08:22:08 PM »

This is all good info.   I think $2000 would definitely hurt my pocket book so maybe Washington State is a good option.   Right now I am thinking more about the kind of boat that would be appropriate.   If I can't get something within the $1000 price range then, so be it, at least I will know what to expect.

I have read that the so called "Jon boats" are pretty good for calm water fly fishing.  Do any of you guys have opinions on boats like this one:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/boa/946193839.html

(I suspect it might be a little small if 12  feet is the recommended lengh but the design seems to make sense).  As mentioned earlier I would like it to be able to accomodate two people and, preferably, two adults and one kid (8 years old).

At this stage I am still in the research phase - not looking to buy anything this time until I am armed with a lot more knowledge.   I don't want to get this wrong.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 08:42:48 PM »

John boats are very handy for what you're after-stable easy to handle no surprises-and that looks like a great deal-for two people not for three.

yamadirt 426

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 09:18:06 PM »

all i can say is inflatable. 10' can hold over 1200lbs and can take up to a 15hp.  most stable boat you can find period. I can jump up and down on the side of my boat without it dipping at all . these boats are alot tougher than people who don't own them think they are.  multiple bladders so you just wount sink. You can find lots in your budget with a motor. no trailer needed. setup time is under 10 min. they now come with an inflatable floor for ultra fast setup time. very easy to fix if you have a problem. for comparison i have a 8.5 zodiac and a 14 aluminum. i wish i had tubes on the 14.

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 09:37:18 PM »

The two best choices I would go for right now is either a jon boat, which for a new 14ft is about $1100 canadian, and then pick-up a new trailer for $395, whick like BB said by the time taxes get you will be around $2000 with motor and oars, or go with a new inflatable like the Aquamarines, you can buy them off Ebay or go to the store I believe. They have some deadly prices for inflatables. This would eliminate the need for the trailer, and they are the most stable craft out there. just not as tough as a jon boat.

The one problem with going to the states to buy a boat is the dollar trading price right now isn't so hot. I personally have had a couple of jon boats, and would go with either the 1236 if you need to keep it to a 12ft range or the 1436L, or 1436. I've gone up to the 1440M myself and love it. I also load it on the racks of my truck myself with no worries. If you need more info hit me up.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 10:10:11 PM »

Inflatable Zodiac style all the way. Massively stable, portable, easy to store, reasonably priced.
If you're casting with two people then 10' is a bit tight unless one is a lefty.
Aquamarine makes some good boats for the money. Lots of locals have them and are happy with the quality.
My inflatable is a 12' Achilles Hypalon boat. Much more rugged than PVC boats but more expensive as well.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 10:35:31 AM »

I have a 14ft aquamarine inflatable with aluminum floors.  It is a good deal for the money but expect the seats to be flimsy (I support mine with a cooler that fits snug underneath, The rivets on the floorboards will probably fall out but replacing them is as easy as picking up a rivet gun and rivets for 30 bucks and the pump will probably wear out in a few outings.  I just picked up a replacement from them albeit it was free past the warranty but on the second time using it I noticed the tube was cut, possibly due to how it was packed in the truck, don't know how else it could have got sliced but it is supposed to be better manufactured (made in Itlay not China) than the old one that just plain wore out after 3 uses > 10 holes!  I guess that is the main difference between a $1300 dollar boat and a $2500 one  (still a smoking deal).  The downside of the inflatable is the set up and maintenance.  I find it to be a real pain to set up in time for the morning bite and even more so when I have to dry it out after use so that it doesn't go moldy.  Ideally it should be hosed out aswell after use to get rid of any rocks that may wear out the crevices.   If space is not an issue and you intend on leaving it pumped up on a trailer than this doesn't matter.  The upside is the boat is extremely stable and sits high in the water, and is therefore capable of going in very shallow water especially with the motor tilted to shallow water drive.  The oars it comes with are really only good for emergency use only.  Just thought I would share some of the things I found out after purchasing the boat, for me it is still the best option but may not be for everybody.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 12:29:36 PM »

Inflatables would be OK in the Lower Rainland because this isn't at all a windy place-sitting high out of the water can be  a b*tch in some places.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 05:03:16 PM »

I have to admit - eliminating the need for a trailer is definitely a bonus.  Just one more thing:

Is it possible to get the zodiac in the trunk of my car?  I driver Toyota Corolla and I think that might be an issue if it takes a lot of space.

I already have an inflatable craft, albiet inadequate for more than one person, and I have to say I find it a real pain in the butt dealing with the setup before I go out and the clean up when I get home.  It's one of a number of reasons I am thinking of going with solid bodied boat.  Another thing I really don't like is the amount of floor space taken up by the inflatable.

I guess there is no perfect answer but this has certainly given me more to think about.   Thanks a lot for all of the info.

(I will take BBronswyk's advice and wait till I have enough to put into this. In the meantime, I will be doing more research)

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 05:05:04 PM by fishseeker »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 05:41:28 PM »

Yes a Zodiac would fit.  Don't buy one that has wooden floor, get one that's inflatable floor mat.