Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advice on fishing boats.  (Read 14019 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Re: Advice on fishing boats.
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2008, 01:45:32 PM »

Yep.  I can see now that the $1000 budget is not realistic if I want the boat, trailer, electric motor etc.   All the same,  I will be looking for a second hand deal as long as the boat conforms to all of the things I listed in this thread.   Since I am only interested in still water fishing I believe my requirements are modest and I don't think I will need to go higher that $2000 to get what I need - is that a fair assessment? [ I have been looking at whats out there second hand and I think it's realistic]

river walker

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2008, 02:04:40 PM »

"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2008, 02:23:32 PM »

I think $2000 you can do it if you buy everything used. You will have a hard time finding a Maxuum used though. A few times a year Canadian Tire puts them on sale so just be on the look out for the sale.

If your going to be mostly casting I would stay away from v hulls. Unless you build a casting platform up front.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2008, 04:54:38 PM »

If your going to be mostly casting I would stay away from v hulls. Unless you build a casting platform up front.

Have you ever fly fished out of a V hull boat? I do the majority of my boat fly fishing out of a 12ft Lund V hull with modded plywood floors covered in carpet, I would personally recommend small V Hulls if you could only own one boat that`s relatively inexpensive, highly versatile and safe for different water conditions and are very easy to have two people fly fish out of.

Cheers
Nuggy

Yes for many years. Never beats a flat bottom boat. Have you ever fly fished out of a true flat bottom boat? Did you not read the part about building a casting platform to make it easier or did you miss that part? Casting out of a v hull without any mods would be a pain in the butt.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2008, 07:32:22 PM »

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/boa/971713958.html
Oh yes, I spotted that one.  It looks perfect for what I am would want .   The only thing that appears to lack is the motor which I could purchase separately - looks like that would bring me under $2000 for sure. The only reason I am not calling up and making enquiries is job and finances will only be certain after March. (Wouldn't want to waste anybodies time until I am fully committed to making a purchase) Very tempting but I am holding off for now - just doing the research.  Thanks River Walker.

Am I correct thinking this kind of boat would make a nice stable flat bottommed profile for fly fishing?  Apologies for all the questions, I don't have any experience with fishing boats and I can see there are a few different opinions out there.

Thanks also for the heads up on v hulled boats.  I can see I will have to do some reading on the merits/drawbacks on that type of boat.