Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fishing the in squamish area  (Read 3328 times)

rhino

• Old Timer
fishing the in squamish area
« on: November 29, 2008, 04:06:20 AM »

i have never fished the squamish area and would like to know if anyone can point me in the right direction. where to go and park to start searching for water?what species? Lures to use.I use a center pin and i got a bait caster. I got about 5 or 6 days off in the next 2weeks and would like to make the best of it fishing! I would not mind joining anyone going that way as well!

thank you in anticipation.

rhino

• Old Timer
Re: fishing the in squamish area
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 03:45:48 AM »

thanks for the info everyone!wow. you guys are unreal! all these experts and no advice.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 06:33:08 AM »

rhino; did you try searching using the "search" feature here with the word "squamish" in it. It would take about 5 seconds.

squish is dead anyways.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 02:19:30 PM »

Rhino: The Squamish is a river that takes time to learn. You can walk many sections of the river all day and not see a person. So obviously those people in the know are not at all anxious to share their knowledge. Basically your best bet is to head up there with a backroads map book and explore. The mapbook will show you which roads to take. There aren't any bad spots on the river. Just walk and you'll find good water. Be careful fishing alone, there is quicksand, big bears, and sketchy wades.

Good Luck.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 04:54:39 PM »

i have never fished the squamish area and would like to know if anyone can point me in the right direction.

From where I stand, the direction is North/North West  :D :D

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 05:04:51 PM »

Rhino: The Squamish is a river that takes time to learn. You can walk many sections of the river all day and not see a person. So obviously those people in the know are not at all anxious to share their knowledge. Basically your best bet is to head up there with a backroads map book and explore. The mapbook will show you which roads to take. There aren't any bad spots on the river. Just walk and you'll find good water. Be careful fishing alone, there is quicksand, big bears, and sketchy wades.

Good Luck.

Thanks you very much for the heads up! I was going to pick one of those maps up the other day actually.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 08:33:08 PM »

The Squamish is a river that takes time to learn. You can walk many sections of the river all day and not see a person.

To that I'd like to add-watch where you put you feet!

It's no fun being miles from anyone and discovering you have encountered a patch of the infamous Squamish Quicksand.

While it's not real quicksand stepping in a patch of soft muck that's indistinguishable from the surrounding muck and almost instantly going in up to your knees isn't any fun and can be quite alarming.

One way to deal with sinking any further is to fall forward on your face ASAP-also not fun but better than sinking up to your hips. :o

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 09:32:53 PM »

Sam, I mention the quicksand. Last winter my buddy went in past his waist. Said he used his fly rod case like that British guy that does the Survival show did on one episode.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 09:56:06 PM »

Sam, I mention the quicksand. Last winter my buddy went in past his waist. Said he used his fly rod case like that British guy that does the Survival show did on one episode.

Be careful fishing alone, there is quicksand, big bears, and sketchy wades.
Oops! :-[ ::)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 12:35:12 AM »

thats actually the best way to get out, the way your friend did. fly cases come in handy when you need them. I have used mine as a wading staff before as well (with the rod out and in my hand of course)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/