Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recording springs on license  (Read 13726 times)

Froodogga

Recording springs on license
« on: October 26, 2008, 06:38:38 PM »

The back of the license states that you must immediately record your "retention" of a spring.   The fishing synopsis that you get when you purchase your license has confusing information.  It states for "steelhead" that you must "immediately" also record any retention of steelhead, but on the same page it says "you must record the retention of a spring" salmon, but it does not make any reference to immediately when it talks about spring salmon.  There seems to be some confusion here as to whether it must be recorded immediately or not.  Why would they put the word "immediately" with a reference to steelhead then fail to put that same "immediate" reference to spring salmon on the same page?  I was burned on this a couple years ago when I caught a spring on the fraser.  I've always written down retention of spring salmon, but this particular time I didn't have a pen handy, however, from reading the synopsis, it didn't mention it was necessary to do it "immediately."   I tried to explain this to the CO, and even showed him I had recorded my other springs that I had caught earlier that year, but...someone had a quota to fill, I guess...As recreational fisherman, and someone that tries to follow laws and regulations as best he can, should we be responsible for knowing the fishery and wildlife act inside out, or is it enough that we rely on the information provided to us in publications available to us, ie the fishing synopsis?  Clearly, based on the information in the synopsis, there is some conflicting information in relation to what is written on the back of the license and what the real rules and laws are as set out in the fishery and wildlife act.  Needless to say, I paid the $115 fine... :P

glx

• I'm a llama!
Re: Recording springs on license
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 08:10:43 PM »

They do not have a quota to fill.  You did not have your licence filled out, you deserved the ticket. 

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 08:29:11 PM »

Next time if you don't have a pen or your pen doesn't work, use something sharp and try to make an imprint on your licence. At your first opportunity use a pen to fill out your licence. If a CO check your licence he can see at least you try to fill out the information.

fishfinder

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 08:57:54 PM »

Pens should be packed along with your floats, hooks, leaders and other essentials if you have intentions of retaining chinook or steelhead.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 09:18:35 PM »

pencil lead works.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 10:54:15 PM »

Never thought of that one. Good idea.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 12:28:17 PM »

i saw a fellow dip his hook in the blood of the spring to write his record down.

Froodogga

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 10:49:33 AM »

I think your missing the point of my post.  I agree, yes I should have recorded it and I always have (except for this one time, which of course is the time you get burned) and now that I've been made aware the "real" law ( i can't recall the exact section from the Wildlife Act it comes from) I am now better educated.  My point was and perhaps question is, how far do we have to go as recreational fishermen to understand the rules and regulations?  Is it enough to try and understand publications made available to us and go by what we read in there, or should we all have to carry around Wildlife Acts with us?  The other point paramount to my post was the fact that there was conflicting information in one of the publications that is provided to recreational fishermen.  The publication did not specify "immediate."  The point of the matter is the information was contradictory.   

And by the way, anyone that has worked for the provincial or federal government knows everything revolves around "quotas"...They will never admit it, but its built into the very fabric of what they do.  If it didn't there would be a public outcry...  
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 10:52:02 AM by Froodogga »

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 10:56:53 AM »

I wonder how police would react if you said "my speedometer does not work" if you were speeding.

It is your responsibilty to carry a pen that works.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 11:04:37 AM »

Froodogga, I will bring up your concern to the both staff who are responsible for revising the provincial freshwater fishing regulations synopsis and federal freshwater salmon supplement so the word "immediately" could be added to the annual adult chinook quota section. I'll update if there are developments.

Froodogga

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 11:24:18 AM »

Or how you would react Jetboatjim if you saw a 30km per hour speed sign in a school zone, which you also saw in any icbc publication and which you also saw in a safe driver's manual, and any other info you saw in any publicly made article distributed by the branch of motor vehicles only to be pulled over and ticketed cuz some other legislation says you should be doing 20km per hour... >:(

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 01:17:06 PM »

I think your missing the point of my post.  I agree, yes I should have recorded it and I always have (except for this one time, which of course is the time you get burned) and now that I've been made aware the "real" law ( i can't recall the exact section from the Wildlife Act it comes from) I am now better educated.  My point was and perhaps question is, how far do we have to go as recreational fishermen to understand the rules and regulations?  Is it enough to try and understand publications made available to us and go by what we read in there, or should we all have to carry around Wildlife Acts with us?  The other point paramount to my post was the fact that there was conflicting information in one of the publications that is provided to recreational fishermen.  The publication did not specify "immediate."  The point of the matter is the information was contradictory.   

And by the way, anyone that has worked for the provincial or federal government knows everything revolves around "quotas"...They will never admit it, but its built into the very fabric of what they do.  If it didn't there would be a public outcry...  

I'm not flaming you or anything like that but I think there needs to be a little common sense here.  If you thought that you didn't need to mark your spring "immediately" then when would you mark it?  Could you go the whole day without marking it?  Do you mark it after you quit fishing? Do you mark it when you get home?  How would a CO know if you had every intention to mark that fish if he does catch you?  If you didn't mark it and you did not see a CO would you be inclined to mark it?  I don't think the publication was contradictory.  It said "immediate" for steelhead but did not say when for Salmon.  You can't assume that because it did not say anything for salmon that you can keep fishing after killing a spring without marking it.

I'm glad you brought this up because there may be some readers on this board that learned something.

Don't assume anything when it comes to printed regs from DFO.  As we all know (from the mistakes they made on the Fish ID pictures) mistakes and omissions do happen.

Froodogga

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 02:09:58 PM »

No worries stratocaster, your post addresses many good points and I thank you for taking the time to reply.  In my defense (whether any of you want to believe it or not, and because I have and had recorded all my springs prior to that) I would have recorded the fish as soon as I was within reach of a pen...

That said, I would like to applaud Rodney for taking the time to alert the proper people regarding this topic.  I'm not so connected to the fishing community as he is and didn't really know where else to post my "rant."

Maybe I've made myself a target somewhat by posting something like this, but as stratocaster states, at worst maybe some people learned a few things.  I know I did...

Cheers  :)   

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 02:47:34 PM »

Funny thing is, a similar occurence happened to my friend.  He caught a spring on the Vedder one day (his first salmon ever) and I told him to mark it on his license right away before fishing again.  In all the excitement, he must have forgotten or didn't hear me clearly.  Anyways, while walking back to the parking lot after our day was over I see a CO checking fish and licenses.  I quietly ask my friend whether he marked his fish and he said he forgot.  I told my friend to explain his predicament to the CO and hope for the best but be prepared to accept a ticket and take your lumps.  I guess the CO was in a good mood that day because he just gave my friend a warning.  Maybe they aren't as lenient anymore? :-\

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 05:22:18 PM »

I wonder how police would react if you said "my speedometer does not work" if you were speeding.

Hey! I resemble that comment.  ;D

PS, it's not a good idea to point out that your vehicle is not road-worthy, as you will just get a manditory inspection.

/hijack