Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FUTURE OF SPORT FISHING?  (Read 7808 times)

Capilano Mano

FUTURE OF SPORT FISHING?
« on: October 07, 2008, 11:12:22 PM »

I would like some opinions. I am writing a college paper and have to conduct interviews on my topic. I thought a good source would be all of YOU. Here is the big question I would like to explore.

How will current fishing methods and fisheries management affect the future of our sportfishing community?

Where do you see the stocks in 50 years?
Will the still be a sport fishery in 50 years?
Will there still be commercial fisheries?
Are the fisheries been managed well?
How could the fisheries be managed better?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 11:20:22 PM by Capilano Mano »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: FUTURE OF SPORT FISHING?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 12:37:01 AM »

In respect to which specie?
 Oh definitely. May be carp, bass? (you'll need to narrow down your scope)
 Yes, whatever's out there. (again please narrow down your scope, too wide of a range)
 HAAHHAAHAAA.  Unless certain special interest group can be silenced and refused their 'interest; fisheries will not be able to be managed well.
  No special interest group.  Transparent operation on fisheries projects and funding usage.

Capilano Mano

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 12:49:50 AM »

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The future of the SALMON sport fishery.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 12:52:07 AM by Capilano Mano »

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 07:51:23 AM »

I would like some opinions. I am writing a college paper and have to conduct interviews on my topic. I thought a good source would be all of YOU. Here is the big question I would like to explore.

How will current fishing methods and fisheries management affect the future of our sportfishing community?

- The stocks will be dominated by hatchery fish. Just like cattle, do you see any wild cows or horses running in the plains?
The future of any animal that becomes important to humans is like this.
And the only reason it will be maintained is because we like to eat it.

- It will still exist and be more or less the same.

- You bet. Unfortunately. A natural resource is always the easiest money maker (to exploit). If there is something in nature we can make money off of without any effort, skill or investment, we will jump right on it.

- No the fisheries are not managed well. Not due to mismanagement by the DFO, but by the lack of understanding of importance of it by the general public.
More taxpayer money going towards environmental management rather than bailouts of Wall street mafia.

- Every river that does and used to have salmon should have a hatchery pumping out fish. Salmonids are the only fish, I know of, that can be trained to come back. The only thing that they really depend on is cool climate, and that can possibly be changed with forced evolution.
More research into effects of sports fishing on rivers. Quota set based on specifics of what a river's population can handle and what the river needs.
A river needs a certain number of fish to return in order to sustain it's population. Anything more than that, infact, reduces the productivity of the river. Every hatchery should ensure that they produce more fish and calculate how many are caught and set limits based on that. Example if there are 1000 fish extra that can be caught, they should issue 1000 licenses at 1 fish limit. Or 500 licenses at 2 fish limit, etc... If they produce 100,000 fish extra that means they can issue 10,000 licenses can catch 10 fish per season. Or 20,000 can catch 5 fish.
Limits should be set per season, not per day and every fish caught should be marked and counted at least for a season or two. That could give them some real data to work with instead of speculation.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 07:54:42 AM by adriaticum »

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: FUTURE OF SPORT FISHING for Salmon?
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 11:33:14 AM »

Very little of anything.
Sockeye and Coho both extinct, Pinks all but gone,  Spring Salmon hanging on in some northern rivers and some few Chums still hanging about.
Ocean conditions caused by global climate change mean all conservation efforts have failed and no matter how many Smolts are dumped in the ocean there is not phyto or zoo plankton for them to feed on-we see this now in fact.

Only for the rich who can travel to/or people who live in remote places.

No.
Read what I posted about No Salmon and Why.
Also talk to a commercial fishermen-if you can find one-and ask if he wants his children to be in the business. ::)

Doesn't matter-the next few years will show how important global climate change is-the past few years have been poor but with recent colder spells we're headed for a few good to great years then it's all downhill after that.

Work for amelioration of global climate change-band aid 'solutions' like more hatcheries are just Bee Ess.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 04:05:45 PM »

I think there will be some genetic modifications that will be in place. Like cross breeding Salmon with Pikeminnow or Bullhead to sustain the resource and keep selling fishing licenses.  :) 
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?