Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sashimi recepie  (Read 7080 times)

Yopesco

sashimi recepie
« on: September 26, 2008, 11:47:46 AM »

Does anybody out there know how to make sashimi out of salmon? I would like to try it and have heard concerns about doing it right so you get rid of parasites etc. Thanks,

Yopesco

Nitroholic

Re: sashimi recepie
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 12:13:26 AM »

What I think you must do to kill any parasite is freeze it, for how long I don't know, maybe 48 hours?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 12:19:06 AM »

Freeze 7 days. at temperature of -18C and below

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 07:36:45 PM »

Jeez, where do we find -18 C?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 08:12:38 PM »

It's nonsense-the Govt wants to protect you from yourself. ::)

FYI I've eaten unfrozen Salmon for more years than I care to admit and nothing has killed me or made me sick yet.

As to making Sashimi-there's nothing to make it's just sliced raw fish-it's the way you slice it-more or less against the grain-that makes it so easy to eat.

Spend some time @ the Sushi Bar watching the Itamae (sushi chef) @ work you'll see what's he's doing it's not rocket science.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 08:18:36 PM »

Most freezers can do -20C.  I got a Kenmore freezer when turned to max it's -26C

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 07:21:17 PM »

Most freezers can do -20C.  I got a Kenmore freezer when turned to max it's -26C

Hmm.. I have to look into this. I've been wanting to make sushi and figure out how to prepare salmon for sushi cuts but never really got deep into it.
Today I was slicing a fillet of red spring that I skinned and deboned for pasta and it looked pretty nice, just like sashimi cuts.
I know I talked to a sushi chef and he told me that they use belly for sushi and back for sashimi.
That's all I know  :)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 07:24:41 PM »

It's nonsense-the Govt wants to protect you from yourself. ::)

FYI I've eaten unfrozen Salmon for more years than I care to admit and nothing has killed me or made me sick yet.

As to making Sashimi-there's nothing to make it's just sliced raw fish-it's the way you slice it-more or less against the grain-that makes it so easy to eat.

Spend some time @ the Sushi Bar watching the Itamae (sushi chef) @ work you'll see what's he's doing it's not rocket science.

Yeah, but sushi bars always use frozen fish.
So you better be careful out there while downing those raw cuts.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 09:37:06 PM »

Yeah, but sushi bars always use frozen fish.So you better be careful out there while downing those raw cuts.
Not for every fish they don't-I know I eat in a Sushi Bar at least once a week and almost always @ the bar right in front of the Itamae so I know exactly what's he's doing and exactly how he's doing it.

Albacore is frozen @ sea, ditto Salmon, Hamachi is flown in fresh as is Ahi aka Yellowfin Tuna, Unagi is frozen but Ikura never is, Monkfish Liver aka Ankimo  is always fresh, Suzuki is generally frozen, of course Oysters are always fresh and I always eat at least 2 raw Oysters when they're on offer.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 10:10:49 PM »

Unagi as sashimi?

Most of the fish from Japan is fresh as they are mostly caught offshore not nearshore.  However, the reason for freezing local salmon is due to parasite.  These parasites usually come from seals.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 08:38:20 AM »

Yeah, but sushi bars always use frozen fish.So you better be careful out there while downing those raw cuts.
Not for every fish they don't-I know I eat in a Sushi Bar at least once a week and almost always @ the bar right in front of the Itamae so I know exactly what's he's doing and exactly how he's doing it.

Albacore is frozen @ sea, ditto Salmon, Hamachi is flown in fresh as is Ahi aka Yellowfin Tuna, Unagi is frozen but Ikura never is, Monkfish Liver aka Ankimo  is always fresh, Suzuki is generally frozen, of course Oysters are always fresh and I always eat at least 2 raw Oysters when they're on offer.

Ok, you are probably right.
I was thinking of salmon, you can eat sushi all year round and there is no fresh salmon all year round and my conclusion was that they use frozen.
They would be using fresh when they can have it, but can you really ever have fresh fish unless you are the one fishing it or buying it at a local fish market from local fishermen who fish in local waters, considering the transportation logistics.
Plus they say that they freeze the fish because it's easier to slice it that way.

They cure the roe with salt for eating I believe.
I found a recipe for that somewhere , might give it a try.

I don't believe there is government conspiracy here. Just you be careful when eating raw seafood. The ocean is not as clean as it looks.
You never know where they get their stuff.
Being a son of a doctor, I heard things in my life... you don't want to know.

Cheers