Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, September 24th 2008  (Read 11321 times)

Youngin

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, September 24th 2008
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2008, 01:53:03 AM »

that is disgusting, if you cant tell thats not a coho you shouldnt be fishing. that run is in poor shape as it is, good job hero.

Gotta give the guy a break, don't be so harsh?  When I first started fishing i studied the differences amongst salmon for the longest time, yet I still got confused between jacks and cohos. =/
I've done stupid stuff I'm only 18 but hey I learn.. This guy learned and now he can spread that knowledge to others who may not know better.. chill out and go fish =]

Nice report.. I might be going out this sunday for my first trip in a couple of years. looking forward to it!

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2008, 07:11:16 AM »

I deboned the fillets and cut them into strips.

These cuts look almost like sashimi from a Japanese restaurant. Yum...

That's artwork!
It will take me a lot more practise to fillet fish like that.
Good job
:)

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2008, 08:11:49 AM »

i aswell was on the water, i had a good day, busted off some big fish, first time for springs with the centerpin, way to much fun! Managed to land a little buck, that was sent on his way.

dark buck that was released
Fish killer 101

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2008, 09:12:42 AM »

ARGH!!!!!! this thread is making me wana buy a ticket back to canada today! im stuck here in London trying to catch some muddy carp :( Nice fish everyone keep up the good work.
[

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2008, 01:58:53 PM »

We really need to have some sort of "testing" before getting a fishing license. This morning I walked up to take a look at some guys fish, and one was a wild coho. I let the guy know that you cannot retain wild coho, but all I got back from him was another language, couldnt do nothing so walked away. Not sure if the guy did not know the regulations, couldnt identify his fish, or just didnt care. We also need some conservation officers, or some rcmp patrolling near the river, to watch for break in activity, and to charge poachers.

Im sure mmmmroe sockeye, is just one of a few cultus lake sockeye kept due to misidentification, but just a few is a huge impact to this lake run. We need a better way to inform others before fishing.
The Bigger The Better!

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2008, 02:11:24 PM »

We are all human and make mistakes, particularly inadvertant ones. The post probably will end up saving the next clipped sockeye because now we all know even sockeyes have clipped adipose fin. I am sure all FWR members reading this post will look hard at the entire fish, not just that missing fin.  ;D  So don't be too harsh on yourself, mmmroe. It is very courageous of you to take responsibility for an honest mistake.

^^^QFT.

Great fish you caught there, Rod...
And Nina - that's a great looking chum, especially for the Vedder!
I know some people think chum are ugly, but I think those colours and stripes are beautiful...

Hey Rod - any tips for cleaning/cooking a white spring? 
I've cooked up a few in the past, and generally they've been quite good, but I'm always looking for new techniques.

Cheers!
:D
Tex

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »

Hey Rod - any tips for cleaning/cooking a white spring?

That was in fact the first white chinook salmon from the Vedder (or anywhere actually) that I have kept. I basically cleaned it like I would with a chum, except this was a bit bigger so messier. Once the fish is gutted, the head is cut off, then the body of the fish is filleted. The pectoral and pelvic fins are removed from the fillets, followed by skinning from the tail end. The skin-less fillets are then deboned if preferred and cut into strips like the photos that I have posted.

For cooking, we don't do anything fancy. Everyone surely has his or her own recipe for batter. I simply mix flour and cold water together. Different spices are added to the strips in advance (again, personal preference when it comes to what spices). The seasoned strips are coated with the batter by dipping before entering the hot oil. The cooking time is short, as long as the strips are thin. Once each side turns golden brown, they are ready for serving.

This morning I walked up to take a look at some guys fish, and one was a wild coho.

1-877-952-RAPP (7277)

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2008, 10:17:40 PM »

that is disgusting, if you cant tell thats not a coho you shouldnt be fishing. that run is in poor shape as it is, good job hero.

Gotta give the guy a break, don't be so harsh?  When I first started fishing i studied the differences amongst salmon for the longest time, yet I still got confused between jacks and cohos. =/
I've done stupid stuff I'm only 18 but hey I learn.. This guy learned and now he can spread that knowledge to others who may not know better.. chill out and go fish =]

Nice report.. I might be going out this sunday for my first trip in a couple of years. looking forward to it!

GIVE HIM A BREAK? the run is near endangered and if it reaches that list then the river will be shut down, there are very few of them around, stuff like this ruins it for the rest of us, he broke the law by killing that why would i give him a break?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 10:19:36 PM by kingpin »
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

SNapz

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2008, 10:52:38 PM »

Instead of going the guy a hard time why don't you provide some advice on how to tell the difference between a Sockeye and a Coho since it sounds like you have never ever had a problem identifying fish in your time fishing.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2008, 10:57:26 PM »

you know what i dont have a hard time identifying the fish i catch because i know what they are.. for starters  sockeye dont have spots, coho will usually have spots on there backs and mainly on the upper portion of the tail.... they also have white gums whereas springs have black and spots all over the tail.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2008, 11:00:05 PM »

I tend to agree with Kingpin. UNLESS this is some 12-14 year old kid. The difference between a coho and sockeye is so obvious. If you are unsure of a fish than let it go instead of killing it.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2008, 11:01:25 PM »

GIVE HIM A BREAK? the run is near endangered and if it reaches that list then the river will be shut down, there are very few of them around, stuff like this ruins it for the rest of us, he broke the law by killing that why would i give him a break?

Yes, judging by most of your previous posts (a couple of them were warned), it is just so obvious that your primary intention is to ensure the welfare of the fishery. ;D ::)

Perhaps allocate some of that dedication and effort on educating the agency that manages our endangered resources.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/species-especes/species/fullSize_chinooksalmon_3_e.asp

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 11:12:41 PM by Rodney »

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2008, 11:25:16 PM »

Yes, judging by most of your previous posts (a couple of them were warned), it is just so obvious that your primary intention is to ensure the welfare of the fishery. ;D ::)

Perhaps allocate some of that dedication and effort on educating the agency that manages our endangered resources.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/species-especes/species/fullSize_chinooksalmon_3_e.asp

beeko begone

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2008, 11:48:37 PM »

Good thing I did not reserve an expectation of a serious response.

Anyway, glad that most have enjoyed the story. This would also be a good opportunity to remind everyone that this coming Sunday (September 28th) is World Rivers Day and we will have a big celebration in Chilliwack. The day will kick off with a Chilliwack River cleanup (sign-up is between 8:30am and 9:30am at the Chilliwack Fish and Game Club). The cleanup will happen until noon. After the cleanup, there will be a BBQ for everyone, plus entertainment and prize draws. There'll be donuts, muffins, coffee and juice for everyone before we start the cleanup. There will be many fishing related prizes that we are giving away (including some fishing rods).

This is also a great opportunity to meet those who work behind the scene in the Chilliwack River fisheries. Both DFO and BC Ministry of Environment will be on site to answer your questions (questions like Cultus Lake sockeye salmon). I'll have many fish posters to give away to kids. Some regular forum contributors will be at the event too, so it's an opportunity to meet others who you have interacted with via the internet. Come fishing at first light for a couple of hours, help us to clean up the river, eat a good meal, meet some new friends, possibly win a fishing rod, then resume fishing in the afternoon. It cannot get much better for a Sunday outing.

The Chilliwack Fish and Game Club is on Chilliwack Lake Road. Travel toward Tamahi from the Vedder Crossing. It's on your left just after Thompson Park.

Complete information can be found at: http://www.cleanrivers.ca/events.html

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2008, 10:28:42 AM »

I'm definitely going to be trying to make it out, Rod, but have a prior commitment in the morning that I don't think I can juggle.  Most likely will be seeing anyone who's still around in the afternoon though!

:D
Tex