Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, September 24th 2008  (Read 11319 times)

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, September 24th 2008
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 10:10:12 PM »

that is disgusting, if you cant tell thats not a coho you shouldnt be fishing. that run is in poor shape as it is, good job hero.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 10:17:20 PM »

Very nice chum Nina :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 10:20:46 PM »

Even though the fishing trip was short today, the day was dragged on until... now. :o The drive home took much longer than anticipated (I was in such a hurry to get home to post photos of course. Heroism and all ;) ). A truck jackknifed the medium on Hwy 91 so we were stuck for quite awhile.

Once home, I sat on the couch, only to realize that I had a white spring in the cooler that needed to be cleaned and processed. :-\ I pulled myself up from the couch at 4:00pm, started gutting, filleting, skinning, cutting... Once done, the kitchen needed to be scrubbed, scrubbed and scrubbed. A trip to the grocery store and back, the entire room still smelled like a white spring! Anyway, the result was well worth it.

I deboned the fillets and cut them into strips.

The strips were then seasoned with salt, pepper and other spices.

A batter was made from water and flour. Strips were dipped in the batter before going on the hot oil.

A couple minutes later, strips were turned when the side turned golden brown.

Dinner!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 10:21:11 PM »

The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 10:28:30 PM »

It was a fun morning being on the Vedder with Rodney, Nina, Gwyn and Jackson. That is what fishing is about, angling with good fishing partners and seeing them catching fish even when you cannot hook one, even when offered several chances. ::) Nearly losing half of my rod did not help either ::), the bloopesr of all bloopers, I am glad Rod did not have his video camera running. ;D

Tomorrow will be different as I will have the run all to myself and face no competion for the fish that will be there. ;D ;D ;D

Good fish Nina, you played it well, a fresh run chum can give one a good tussle.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 10:29:17 PM »

That chum is almost as nice as those of Squamish R.  Did you keep the chum?  How's it's flesh condition?

mmmroe

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 10:33:32 PM »

I just wanted to say what an idiot I am.....A fellow next to me landed it and stated it was a hatch coho....and beach it...Its still my fault for having part in misidentifying that fish..... :-\  :-\....stupid lesson learn  :-\  :'(

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 10:33:39 PM »

Nice report guys! I've been avoiding the cheddar like the plague, but I will hit it this weekend, as I have to get my truck serviced Saturday morning... Time to take a nice long walk.

Too bad about the sockeye, the fellow probably saw the adipose clip and thought it was okay... I'm sure it was an honest mistake.

Dave Barnes mentioned the adipose clip had better survival rates, but I think this case calls that research into question...

Cheers,
Nicole
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 10:40:53 PM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Tee

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 10:36:02 PM »

I deboned the fillets and cut them into strips.

These cuts look almost like sashimi from a Japanese restaurant. Yum...

I only fish on days that end with "y".

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 10:41:30 PM »

That chum is almost as nice as those of Squamish R.  Did you keep the chum?  How's it's flesh condition?

We gave the fish to Gwyn before we parted. It was in reasonable shape for the Chilliwack, but not up to my Squamish standard. ;D I'm sure the flesh is very good.

These cuts look almost like sashimi from a Japanese restaurant. Yum...

Tee, when I was cutting those up, I thought, "These look almost like tuna sashimi." I then leaned forward, took a sniff, and changed my mind. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 10:42:53 PM »

I just wanted to say what an idiot I am.....A fellow next to me landed it and stated it was a hatch coho....and beach it...Its still my fault for having part in misidentifying that fish..... :-\  :-\....stupid lesson learn  :-\  :'(
And other will learn from it too, it takes a big person to admit when one makes a mistake and does not just go away and hides. I have made stupid mistakes in my 65 years of life as I am sure many others have too, if you have not you are to be congratulated.

I feel no further negative comments are needed on this matter.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 05:12:24 AM by chris gadsden »

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 10:43:29 PM »

We are all human and make mistakes, particularly inadvertant ones. The post probably will end up saving the next clipped sockeye because now we all know even sockeyes have clipped adipose fin. I am sure all FWR members reading this post will look hard at the entire fish, not just that missing fin.  ;D  So don't be too harsh on yourself, mmmroe. It is very courageous of you to take responsibility for an honest mistake.

Rodney, you sure know how to cook your fish. Can you tell me what that yellowish spice is? That recipe of yours and the finished product surely make me hungry. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 11:09:01 PM by Steelhawk »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 11:10:44 PM »

And other will learn from it too, it takes a big person to admit when one makes a mistake and does not just go away and hides. I have made stupid mistakes in my 65 years of life as I am sure many others have too, if you have not you are to be congratulated.

I feel no furher negative comments are needed on this manner.

Well said Chris.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 11:15:03 PM »

Congrats on the chum Nina!  That's quite a clean looking chum for the Vedder - and I'm sure you got some nice roe too.

...and Rod - those white spring fillets look delish!  Thanks for posting the recipe!  I'll keep a note of that one.  

On another note, I kept a chrome bullet spring last w/e and it turned out great on the bbq.  The fish was bullet chrome and had sea lice on it.  There was no hint of "whitie odour/taste" in the flesh.  It tasted pretty much like a red, and I probably wouldn't notice a difference if I was blindfolded.  Not sure if I just got lucky or not.  I've got plenty of nice fillets in the freezer and would like to try Rod's recipe!   :D

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2008, 11:32:58 PM »

I feel no furher negative comments are needed on this manner.

thank you
hardware == fish