Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 143982 times)

slurpie

adult returns for coho in 2002, 2003, and 2004 were staggering... and then a steep decline in 2005.  This decline appears to be a trend based on juvenile releases.  If memory serves me correctly, the hatchery produced in the excess of 3 million coho smolts in earlier years, hence the huge returns. 
If there is any consulation, the good news is that returns for adult springs have been stable, if that is your target species.  Personally, I'm more of a coho man myself. 

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...

Interesting stats, slurpie.  Not entirely nice to read...  when I see that I'd gladly pay more for my license if it meant increased salmon returns and better enforcement on the flow.

I've been researching tactics and gear like crazy the past few weeks (I'm in major obsessive-compulsive mode).  I've developed a plan of attack - make up roe bags the night before (hate using gobs on the river).  Take some roe with me for first light, fish blades once the sun is on the water.  Never tried either method before really (only used wool) so it'll be a learning curve.  :D  Can't wait to try the new colorado blade rigs I tied up last night.

In addition, I'm just about to buy some new waders and boots from my local store (PacAngler on Broadway).  My first pair of breathables ever should make for a much more comfortable day on the water...  and my first new pair of boots in well over a decade.  I should post pics of my old boots so you can all have a good laugh!

All ready for the season - hope it'll be a good one!  :)

Cheers,
:D
Tex

Every Day

• Old Timer

Water = Murky, 2-3 feet visi (perfect)
Height = still pretty high (perfect for fish to move up)
Fish = yes. Saw 1 coho (roll) and quite a few springers (on beach and in water)

Every Day

• Old Timer

Water is dropping like a rock and clearing pretty nice.

nkj

Hey all,

Just wanted to drop a quick FYI for everyone.  We got to the river at about 7:30am, started fishing at about 8:00, had a few hits, this is what I hooked into at about 8:45.

I got her with roe, we've tried all sorts of other gear after that with no luck.  River was fast and high with descent clarity.  Packed it up around 11:30.  They are out there...

Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 11:17:27 PM by nkj »

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...

Way to go, nkj!  Glad to hear someone is finding a fish or two...  Nice chrome fish.  Were you fishing the lower river?

Every Day

• Old Timer

Well I guess sinice others are posting their fish Ill fess up too.....  There are fish around you just have to find them, keep looking and you;ll have success. Use roe or spinners (colorados)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 10:02:04 PM by Every Day »

nkj

Tex,

Using your other thread as an indicator...hehe, I would have to say it was mid Vedder, not too familiar with the river my self.  I am rather "noobish" at this whole river fishing, still, had a blast.

Every Day

• Old Timer

Cammer right now ALL the jacks and springs we are getting are either red or marble's. I havn't seen a white yet  :o

nkj

Hey,

To answer your question "cammer" I'm not really sure as the fish is on ice for next five days. 

Went out again today(nice to have some paid vacation days built up...hehe), got to Vedder around 11:00.  About 10 mins in got a "jack" that I kept, then I hooked into something bigger, this fish was much bigger than the one I caught last night.  Fought with it for about 20 mins(my gear is set up for coho with a 8 lb leader), couldn't get it to shore.  I also learned a valuable lesson about having waders, I need a pair...lol.  At this time this fish had 2/3 of my line out, still somewhere out mid river.  Got in a pool behind a big boulder where there was no chance of me pulling it out.  I even tried to go down river but nah.  As I was about to cut my line and my losses, I tried one more time and my "gear" was free.  Fished another hour after that, caught another "jack" that I let go.  Had a great cpl of hours, went home.

Fish are definitely there, water is great, still high and wee bit fast but almost clear.  Still using only roe.

mmmroe

there are whities in there.....

waterboy

Fished the Vedder today, by the train bridge from early to late PM.  Water levels and visibility are both excellent - saw several good looking fish rising (likely springs).  No luck (roe and blades) but they were definitely getting more active by dusk.  Lots of fun little rainbows around...

gman

Fought with it for about 20 mins(my gear is set up for coho with a 8 lb leader), couldn't get it to shore.  I also learned a valuable lesson about having waders, I need a pair...lol.  At this time this fish had 2/3 of my line out, still somewhere out mid river.  Got in a pool behind a big boulder where there was no chance of me pulling it out.  I even tried to go down river but nah.  As I was about to cut my line and my losses, I tried one more time and my "gear" was free. 

A trick that sometimes works is to let off the drag on your reel, so your rod is straight. The current will then pull the float pulling downstream on the fish, and the fish will often simply swim back upstream towards you. Of course it may also spit the hook. But its pretty interesting when you look out and see your float slowly coming up the river when you have no pressure on the fish. Once it reaches you, you can apply pressure again. Worth a try if the fish has run a long way and you're not gonna be able to force him back.

fisherman

Just did some fishing today on the vedder just above the railway bridge but south from peach trail ....( some places are getting crowded for the afternoon hours ).... caught nothing but good ol' fresh air... have to admit water level is good....I didnt have much luck in the afternoon at all... short floating using roe, wool... used spinner also, these fish are not as active/aggressive as most think... did hook into one before i was about too pack up .... but he spit the hook right at the end!

No doubt the fish are all over in the river...but another week or so ...and it should be RED HOT!!

I'll be out there again this weekend... if i can land one this time i'll take a pic of it..and post it up on here!!

mmmroe

Fought with it for about 20 mins(my gear is set up for coho with a 8 lb leader), couldn't get it to shore.  I also learned a valuable lesson about having waders, I need a pair...lol.  At this time this fish had 2/3 of my line out, still somewhere out mid river.  Got in a pool behind a big boulder where there was no chance of me pulling it out.  I even tried to go down river but nah.  As I was about to cut my line and my losses, I tried one more time and my "gear" was free. 

side pressure for the big ol spings work when they are somewhat tired