Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 143988 times)

nkj

Fought with it for about 20 mins(my gear is set up for coho with a 8 lb leader), couldn't get it to shore.  I also learned a valuable lesson about having waders, I need a pair...lol.  At this time this fish had 2/3 of my line out, still somewhere out mid river.  Got in a pool behind a big boulder where there was no chance of me pulling it out.  I even tried to go down river but nah.  As I was about to cut my line and my losses, I tried one more time and my "gear" was free. 

A trick that sometimes works is to let off the drag on your reel, so your rod is straight. The current will then pull the float pulling downstream on the fish, and the fish will often simply swim back upstream towards you. Of course it may also spit the hook. But its pretty interesting when you look out and see your float slowly coming up the river when you have no pressure on the fish. Once it reaches you, you can apply pressure again. Worth a try if the fish has run a long way and you're not gonna be able to force him back.

Hey,

Thanks for the advice, I can see how watching your float go up river would be fun, all new for me.  I was glad that she actually dropped the hook, I had her on for about 20 mins, it was enough for me...hehe.  Going back this weekend, I might have been just lucky but everytime I've gone these last cpl of weeks I got fish. 

buck

River colored up in PM  after the Pitt just below the crossing was opened to the river. Clear today.

buck

Lickman road parking lot will be closed from the 10 Sept. to the 20 Sept. for the removal of more gravel. 

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

River colored up in PM  after the Pitt just below the crossing was opened to the river. Clear today.

So there are is now water running into this pit. I guess I better bring the flyrod. Makes for a great coho hole on the fly.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Every Day

• Old Timer

Lickman road parking lot will be closed from the 10 Sept. to the 20 Sept. for the removal of more gravel. 

They are also closing down the road (I think its called Hopedale) that leads to the train bridge.

vaskerelva

• Born to fish, forced to work

What are u guys think will there be more fish this year, then last year?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 03:10:17 PM by Rodney »
Fear no fish

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

What are u guys think will there be more fish this year, then last year?

Coho salmon return to the Chilliwack River last year was exceptionally well as expected based on previous brood records. It is unlikely that you will see coho salmon fishing as good as last year, but chinook salmon fishing will be, and already seems to be, good. Since you are coming all the way here from Norway, you should also look into exploring some other nearby fisheries that offer better quality (not necessarily numbers of fish, but better experience). Email info@fishingwithrod.com if need more information.

----------------------------------------

The Chilliwack River water condition continues to be excellent on September 8th.

Every Day

• Old Timer

Spring run was suppose to be double this year in other rivers so I would expect it to be pretty large  ;D

Easywater

• Old Timer

There are supposed to be around 250,000 white springs returning this year - this is about 4 times the normal amount.

vaskerelva

• Born to fish, forced to work

There are supposed to be around 250,000 white springs returning this year - this is about 4 times the normal amount.

4 times the amount than last year - o rock me baby. Is that porsibel? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Fear no fish

Every Day

• Old Timer

Hmmm I heard that the were forecasting a run of 120 000 for the Vedder, which is double than the normal annual run of 60 000. I think you may have come across the Harrison outlook, but if not, I can't wait  ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer

Should be fishable by Friday.... was 6 inches vis when I left today at 6 pm. Tomorrow should be 1-2 feet vis. Thurs should be around 2-3 and friday through the weekend should get better very fast  ;)

CohoMan

• Old Timer

Hi

I know the water was still murky in the morning. Did anyone try the evening and can someone report the water condition during the later part of the day??

Thanks in advance.

buck

It always amazes me where you guys get your numbers from.( 120,000 to 250,000 chinook ) Sounds like you work for the department of creative mathematics or have very vivid imaginations.

jeff

just came from the river was at the vedder bridge few fish jumping poor clarity
Enjoying the water..........