Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bait Fishing ??  (Read 5039 times)

Hello

• I'm a llama!
Bait Fishing ??
« on: July 29, 2008, 09:15:30 PM »

Fishing with bait really seems to take the sport out of fishing for me. Just wondering if their are others who think that by creating something that attracts the fish to bite you have really out smarted it, but if you bait the hook you really havent tricked the fish in anyway.  ( FEEDING ???? )

Always find it interesting how some shortfloating roe fishermen seem to think that theirs is the almighty method.

Anyways tie up a fly and go catch a fish there may be some magic there for you. ;D

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Re: Bait Fishing ??
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 09:31:45 PM »

Wow!!! what brought this on?

We all have our preferred method of catching a fish. Sometimes roe works well and sometimes yarn works better.

Be it roe, yarn, blade or fly- we are just enticing the fish to bite.

Swanny

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 09:45:22 PM »

Isn't throwing anything into the water other than a spear considered bait to a fish.  ???

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 09:50:32 PM »

Isn't throwing anything into the water other than a spear considered bait to a fish.  ???

Definition of bait can be found on page 9.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/2008/fish-synopsis_2008-09_general.pdf

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 10:41:56 PM »

It's a personal choice whether to use bait or flies.

Swanny

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 10:43:51 PM »

Sorry, sarcasm squeaked out.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 05:26:21 PM »

Every method has it's time and place.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 09:18:36 PM »

as a new fisherman, I am amazed at the self righteousness out there when it comes to preferred methods of fishing, I thought that the only people that we were supposed to look down on are the "flossers", but now it seems that even the roe fishermen are no longer "ethical"?. Personally I think that the most important part of fishing is catching fish, that's what keeps me going and excited to wake up early. Regardless of method (as long as its legal), I would not be out there fishing if I never caught anything. My little brother and I went to the Scale Bar a few times this week and caught our limit in zero visibility water. It was our first time ever using bouncing betties and you know what we had a blast because we caught fish!! We were not concerned that the fish were not biting our offering, they could not even see our offering! We had fun and are very excited to continue learning and growing as fishermen. In five years we will probably not be fishing shoulder to shoulder, bottom bouncing, because we will know how to catch fish in more challenging ways. That is the natural progression of most sports, the better you get the more you want to be challenged. I just find it interesting how "expert" fishermen rip apart the methods of other fishermen because they have progressed to a place that they percieve to be better and more pure than others. I know that this can be a very touchy subject on this forum and I don't want to piss anyone off but that's my two cents.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 09:47:40 PM »

Way to go !!!! Kick "Hello" in the you know where and tell him- " NO SOUP FOR YOU TONIGHT"......

Hello

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 09:55:08 PM »

I posted this as a reality check for some members on this board.  I agree with hues post one hundred percent.  Assumtions can be misleading.  If i had never fished with bait how would I know that it was not as sporting for " ME " .  I am not a fly fishermen strictly i love gear as well.   ;)

gman

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 10:00:07 PM »

Some pot stirring going on here of course..... but there is some truth behind it too. Some look down on BBers, some look down on bobber and worm fisherman, and yes, some look down on roe fishermen.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 10:14:59 PM »

I see what you're saying "Hello", no hard feelings. I've been reading this forum for the last year or so (got into fishing last year) and I just finally wanted to chime in and let my perspective be known.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 10:30:15 PM »

Fishing with bait really seems to take the sport out of fishing for me. Just wondering if their are others who think that by creating something that attracts the fish to bite you have really out smarted it, but if you bait the hook you really havent tricked the fish in anyway.  ( FEEDING ???? )

Always find it interesting how some shortfloating roe fishermen seem to think that theirs is the almighty method.

Anyways tie up a fly and go catch a fish there may be some magic there for you. ;D

So then you think fly fishing is the almighty method i guess  ::)
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 11:44:05 AM »

TH  ;)

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 06:47:53 PM »

I've fished bait, fly, gear, spear....it's all fishing and each method offers up it's own set of challenges.  I prefer fly fishing because I have more success and I love to tie my own flies.  Still some fish won't hit them.  For those, I'd consider bait but would rather fish gear.  Bobbers are for kids :)