Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help on picking a floating line  (Read 3318 times)

Zach

• Fishing Photo's
Help on picking a floating line
« on: May 01, 2008, 03:59:27 PM »

Hey guys, I looking to get a high quality floating line. I don't have too much experience with picking out fly lines so any suggestions would be very appreciated.  ;D

ffonly

• the truth is out there...
Re: Help on picking a floating line
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 04:04:10 PM »

Check out Scientific Anglers new Sharkskin line or Rio's Gold. I don't have experience with either but from what I've heard they are nice lines. The sharkskin has a rough surface texture but supposedly casts really smooth.
There is a tall church across the street from the statue

with crosses, steeples, bells and a vast door that looks like

a huge mousehole, perhaps from a Tom and Jerry cartoon,

and written above the door is "Per L'Universo."

Around five o'clock in the afternoon of my cover for

Trout Fishing in America, people gather in the park across

the street from the church and they are hungry.

It's sandwich time for the poor.

But they cannot cross the street until the signal is given.

Then they all run across the street to the church and get

their sandwiches that are wrapped in newspaper.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 07:07:48 PM »

SA - Shark Skin is nice but due to the  rought surface, its really noisy when you shoot out the line...
Airflo - Ridge line is good, but they do pick up little more dirt, it got hide between the ridges..
Rio -  I have problems with Rio line, one line crack on the first day out.. they other one snapped .

The best thing to do is ask your fly shop for a demo line, they usually have a few hidden in the back.. If you talk to them nicely, they might let you test cast a few before the puraches..

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 10:35:34 PM »

Hey Zach, I wouldn't worry too much about going for a high end flyline. Almost all the lines on the market in a reputable shop are great lines. I'd worry more about what you need the line to do and how does it cast on your rod.

The best advice I can give is take your rod into a quality shop like M&Y in surrey and tell them what you plan on doing with it, ie: lake, river, streamer, trolling...etc. This will put you miles ahead. All rods load differently and the wrong line can be a hassle.

*just to clarify, there are a few other great shops around I just can't gaurantee all the staff at all of them ;)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »

My experience with floating lines in the past year:

Airflo......CRAP.   Line is peeling apart ....wtf!?  Memory issues.
Rio w/ floating tip.....CRAP.  Tied with a nail knot, the flyline cracks around the knot area.  This is the second floating tip ive been through from rio.
Sci Anglers......the best of the bunch, but still not great.  Less memory issues but still have had some deterioration and micro-cracking.

These are all fairly new (under 2 yrs old) lines.

Have not used sharkskin but have heard 2 things : sluffing of the line (deterioration) and noisy!  This from a few different guys.

Hope that helps.  Id go sci anglers so far.  Airflo has been the worst.