Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wet cel sinking lines  (Read 3119 times)

ray

• I'm a llama!
wet cel sinking lines
« on: April 29, 2008, 12:33:11 PM »

I'm just getting into flyfishing lakes and want to get a sinking fly line so i was wondering about this one. i dont get out to do it too much so i dont want to spend to much on a line. any info on what is the best inexpensive good flyline would be appreciated. it will be used for trolling and casting . thanks

ffonly

• the truth is out there...
Re: wet cel sinking lines
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »

I've only used Rio full sink lines so can only comment on them but SA or other brands should do you fine if they are cheaper.

Most people start with a clear/intermediate line which has a sink rate of about 1.5 - 2 inches per second. The Rio intermediate has a 40ft clear head with 60 ft green semi clear looking running line. If you want to go with something that is faster sinking then any of their Type 3 / 4 / 6 Full Sink lake lines will work. They are a full black colored line and sink at these rates

Deep 3: WF4S to WF8S ~ 3-4 inches per second
Deep 4: WF4S to WF8S ~ 4-5 inches per second
Deep 6: WF4S to WF9S ~ 6-7 inches per second

I use the Type 4 on my 5wt and have fished it on lower mainland and interior lakes with success. I do like having a line that sinks faster over the intermediates but a lot of people use the clear lines. I don't know how much it really affects the spookability factor of the fish but you can always adjust your retrieve or troll to suit what type of sink rate you want with the heavier type 3+ lines.
There is a tall church across the street from the statue

with crosses, steeples, bells and a vast door that looks like

a huge mousehole, perhaps from a Tom and Jerry cartoon,

and written above the door is "Per L'Universo."

Around five o'clock in the afternoon of my cover for

Trout Fishing in America, people gather in the park across

the street from the church and they are hungry.

It's sandwich time for the poor.

But they cannot cross the street until the signal is given.

Then they all run across the street to the church and get

their sandwiches that are wrapped in newspaper.

steelhead nick

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 11:05:41 PM »

I recommend the Rio Mainstream Sinking Line. Its a good line at a decent price, its about $45.00

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 09:50:08 PM »

If you want really cheap go with Dragonfly sinking lines ~$25. Other than that I would stick with Nick's suggestion of a Rio Mainstream line for ~$45.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 10:54:08 PM »

If it were my money Id get the dragonfly stuff as Dion is saying, its cheap and for the first while you'll be bagging on your gear, stepping on lines etc. until you work the kinks out.  Plus they have a good warranty. 

Ive had issues with almost every line I've owned.  You could buy two dragonfly lines for the price of one rio, and have both a type 6 fast sinking, for fishing deeper like dragons on the bottom, and a clear intermediate or a sink tip (id go with a sink tip personally) for fishing most everything else.  Floating lines are fun but you won't catch as many fish on them.  That said you don't want to be without one during a sedge hatch :D

bbwong

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 12:12:12 AM »

Sometime Berry's has some flylines for clearance. It is worth to try! :D