Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about Private Property on the Vedder  (Read 5427 times)

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
Question about Private Property on the Vedder
« on: March 22, 2008, 12:03:01 AM »

So the other day, I was fishing on the vedder, and a guy comes down and tells me to leave. I said why? He said your on my property. I said no, I'm standing on the rocks, and you do not own this part of the river. He said yes I do, and I own the riverbed as well. I am a little confused as to how he can own it, as I'm aware that the only river around here where a land owner can own the riverbed, is the alouette if the family has had possesion for many years. So, my question is, can he own the river bed. And what if he owned the land before, then since the '06 floods, the river diverted into his land, can he still own it? But I was pretty sure he only owned up to the highwater mark. If you need more info on which spot I am talking about, please send me a pm.

Thanks,
Cody

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Question about Private Property on the Vedder
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 12:07:16 AM »

With a few exceptions, private property ends at the high water mark.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 12:09:26 AM »

I know the guy was completely bs'ing me, but I didnt want to say to much until next time when I have more proof that I'm not stupid, and that he can't play dumb with me. What would those exceptions be?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 12:30:34 AM »

Not sure of the exceptions but this subject has been discussed before

Do a search under Private Property.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 12:32:19 AM by Fish Assassin »

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 09:24:04 AM »

my understanding is...

no one can own the river bank so if you have your toes in or on rivers edge you should be OK because this is crown land.they can't kick you out.they can own the land behind it or around it but not the river itself. i don't know of any exceptions.

what part of the river were you on? i have never had a problem on the vedder so I'm drawing a blank? maybe he came down on you because your a younger fella? ???

in fact the only one who can get away with giving us the boot is the government ! >:(then you can just give away our rivers to capitalist pigs who will dam up the rivers saying they are doing it in a green way (BS) so that everyone south of the boarder will have power to light up the drive thru and kmarts!and our fish stocks and wild life go down the toilette.but who cares everyone is making tons of cash and there is plenty of farmed fish around and they are putting more and more fish farms in the ocean. ???

sorry about the rant

girls suck throw rocks at them!

nineweight

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 09:27:36 AM »

I have never heard of this happening before on the Vedder.  Cutting through someones property is one thing, but coming up to you on the river??? If you think of the number of anglers I'm sure many thousands of fisherman have ventured into this spot you were at, so you think this would have come up by now if he indeed thought he owned the river bed.  Unless maybe he was just in a bad mood or is a new owner.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 01:40:38 PM »

Its only a sticker, and he has no right using someones name even if his son is someone.

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 02:40:34 PM »

coho cody are you talking about that guy from wilson road?

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »

The guy is an old fart with nothing better to do. I fished that hole alot when the springs were out this fall, and everytime he would ask me to leave and I would, knowing about some of his family history. But after about a dozen times of telling me and my buddies to leave, people fishing around us started to argue with him saying "you have no right to tell them to leave" blah blah. Well the cops showed up later, and they said he does have rights to half way into that pool. But who knows if he does or doesn't have rights to that section of river, I think the cops made up that bull cupcakes so we would leave and there would be no conflict. I did meet his son and his grand son and a couple of his buds which are supposably part of the hells angles and they were fairly nice people from what I saw.
The Bigger The Better!

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 06:26:21 PM »

it's mid river below osbourne. I know the guy was bs'ing because I'm a kid, and thinks I'm stupid. I wont move next time unless he pulls out a gun ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 07:08:38 PM »

I would suggest and I donot think it has been done before, that is to get a proper ruling on this issue from a lawyer. Maybe someone on this forum is one or can get a legal opinion from a lawyer friend.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 09:00:17 PM »

That's what I would do, just find the law that states the high water mark access rights for property rights of way, laminate it, and carry it around with you.

Pull it out if questioned, and tell them to call the police if they want to. Then show it to the police, and tell them it is your right to fish there, and you would take it to the supreme court if needed.

They'll probably leave you alone then... Or you'll be going to court, one of the other. But under no circumstances should you touch them in any way. And do not use inflammatory language.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 09:20:45 PM »

well its evident your referring to ways field.. never had a problem with the guy there... i would be mad if i had trespassers going across my land so i understand where hes coming from.. i know his land did extend to where the river flows now as it used to flow way on the other side, i dont know how much land he lost....
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

fishing4salmon

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 10:16:02 PM »

I have never had a problem or complaint  ;D

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 05:42:34 PM »

well its evident your referring to ways field.. never had a problem with the guy there... i would be mad if i had trespassers going across my land so i understand where hes coming from.. i know his land did extend to where the river flows now as it used to flow way on the other side, i dont know how much land he lost....

I too would be angry, as most people walk through his field, but I walked down just from Thompson Park.

I like Nicole's idea, so i will do just that ;)