Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about Private Property on the Vedder  (Read 5428 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Question about Private Property on the Vedder
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 05:59:24 PM »

This topic has been discussed before.

The answer is not quite that simple.  Many of the dykes on the Chilliwack River are on private property and the FVRD has statutory right-of-ways for maintenance purposes so they are not accessible to the public.  Some are on crown land and are accessible to the public and many are orphan (no ownership/ no maintenance) and access is probably a legal question.  The river has shifted and changed in several areas so that the high water mark is different than the original survey and also some property has been in a family for so many years that the crown was never able to claim back to the high water mark.

In several areas in the Chilliwack River you would most definitely be tresspassing if you were to walk along the dykes.  To be on public land you would need to be down at the toe of the dyke on the river side. After this past winter's flooding event, which shifted the river's channel in several areas, the river is now part way up on the dyke leaving no dry walking spot.  The area on either side of Osbourne Rd falls into several catagories, however the various structures and works along these areas were not engineered or built to a standard and are not recognized as "flood work structures".  Most of the works in the area do in fact belong to and are on the owners property.

Jane Sowik, Manager of Administrative Services
Fraser Valley Regional District
45950 Cheam Avenue
Chilliwack, BC  V2P1N6     

So instead of getting more property owners mad and kick out everyone, walk below the dyke along water edge and be very quiet and neat.  Usually they would not have problem with that.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 06:02:33 PM by BwiBwi »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 07:43:08 PM »

The thing in this case is the river has once again changed course during the flood of November 2006. If I am not mistaken it nows goes through the owners cow pasture. You can see a very brief video of the area on u tube.

Once again I think the best is to seek out a legal opinion for this particular situation.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 06:11:35 AM »

Yah it's definitely today's kind; the 40 somethings that leave behind line, coffee cups, worm/wool packaging, roe containers and other miscellaneous crap that I cart out of there in the back of my vest (just to mention a few of the things I've personally seen at that exact spot). 

As for the private property issue I would (and probably will) do as Ghost Fish suggested. Ask him if you can walk through his field and fish the run behind his dyking system.

nosey

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 07:03:24 AM »

There is the option of politely telling him you truly do not believe that you are on his property and truly do not believe that he as the authority to ask you to leave. Then tell him that if he would like you to leave, please call the police and have you charged also inform him that you will obtain legal aid in this matter and cause him to spend a few days in court making these charges stick. Take a cell phone and a witness so if he assaults you you can place the 911 call. Before doing any of this be aware that you could lose and be ready to face the consequences. At all times remain polite and noncombative it will carry you far in a tense situation.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 05:07:30 PM »

Hey Cody is this that spot where I met you and your friends and a big my friend spring took you guys way down river. It sounds like it is and thats Ways Field and back in October of last year this gentleman came upon me and three friends and told us we had to leave. He stated that not only did he own the land on the East side where we were but also the shore line across from us as well and also the water in-between. Never having encountered such a situation before at the Vedder I was a little perplexed and unsure and not wanting to cause any trouble we all decided to leave. After all the rivers huge and finding someplace else was a piece of cake. I would like to say that the man,(around mid-fifties, dark thinning hair and short mustache, about 5'7") was extremely polite and if we had taken the time to ask if we could just finish out the afternoon would of allowed us. But alas, we left. One must remember that crossing someones field,(property) is tresspassing and if I owned that land I would'nt like it neither. One thing that astonishes me is that he never puts up a No Tresspassing sign at the entrance to his field. From the information given to me from friends and associates it is the highwater mark that is the usual legal standard when ascertaining allowability, unless you have to tresspass over his property at some point to gain entrance. Having just spent the last year working in Chilliwack building the new trades school on Kieth Wilson Rd. I found many opportunities to fish after work and have found myself back fishing this spot many times without having to cross his field. It takes a lot longer to get there and once there I keep as low a profile as possible, ie: not visible and make sure I take out more garbage than I bring in. I have'nt been asked to leave since the first time and if I were maybe I would and maybe I would'nt. It depends on the fishing, the weather, the timing and how I was asked. Legal Shmeagal, if I have'nt crossed your land and you say I have to leave, that I am illegally on your property I might just say, Prove It. Go ahead, waste your time and the cops its your life. If you want to spend it being a human guard dog thats your choice. Good Fishing All. :D 

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 07:25:33 PM »

there now are "Keep Out" signs on the upper end after some kids drove into his field and decided to spin their tires in the grass on the way out.

Don't blame him for not issuing a Welcome mat after that :(

veddereject

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 07:39:38 PM »

In today's fast paced world, seldom do we take the time anymore to converse with neighbours and acknowledge that long lost sense of community.  Hike the riverbed for a truly enjoyable experience and you won't have to worry about trespassing.  Better yet, find a system that isn't dliuted with private property and scarred with other peoples trash!!