Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jurassic Lake - Patagonia  (Read 10056 times)

Guillermo Magariņos

Re: Jurassic Lake - Patagonia
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 09:13:00 AM »

Hi guys I am Guillermo Magariņos, the guy from that blog  :)
I see some of you are curious about our regulations, you can download the file in pdf format for this season which is translated to english.

http://www.snapdrive.net/files/487059/Continental%20Patagonia%20General%20Sportfishing%20Rules%20and%20Regulations%202007-2008.pdf

I will be posting the link from my own blog so everyone can have too.
In Argentina, you can get your Patagonia license pretty much in all fly shops, even in those out of Patagonia. Being this a general rule, some shops may not have it at certain times. But no matter if you guys got there as lodge clients, you should fish with a valid license.

Guille

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 10:20:53 AM »

Hello and welcome !

Just wondering , what can you tell us about lago Strobel and  the surounding area ? It looks amazing !

It appears as if there are quite a few lakes in the vicinity of Strobel , are they similar in being jam packed with monster rainbows ?

I would like to venture there on my own rather than pay Loop 4000+ Euros for a few days.

Thanks !
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 11:33:31 AM »

Hola Guillermo!

?Y como va la pesca de dorado en la parana?

fyrslyer

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 04:00:51 PM »

Those are some huge trout!!

Guillermo Magariņos

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 05:28:09 PM »

Hello and welcome !

Just wondering , what can you tell us about lago Strobel and  the surounding area ? It looks amazing !

It appears as if there are quite a few lakes in the vicinity of Strobel , are they similar in being jam packed with monster rainbows ?

I would like to venture there on my own rather than pay Loop 4000+ Euros for a few days.

Thanks !

First of all, never fished that lake, but I know a couple of things about it.
It is absolutely of public domain, the problem is access.
It is surrounded by many farms and in general, their owners have no problem at all to let people access the lake through some vecinal roads as long as you ask them before.
Loop operation is only at the discharge of Barrancoso river on the lake which, by the way, is against the regulations as you may see on the pdf file.
The roads are usually closed by wooden fences with chains and a lock. The key for that lock is in the hands of the farm owners who live in Puerto San Julian, Rio Gallegos or Gobernador Gregores. Some fences may be open all the time anyway.
If you wish to get there on your own, you sure need a 4x4 truck. Roads are full of deep bumps and volcanic stones.
The lake has trout since 40-50 years ago taken from Cardiel lake but the "huge trout" are what we call danish rainbows and were introduced about ten years ago. These fish are stocked fish, not my preference if you ask me.
The reason behind this particular introduction is that they grow like a genetically manufactured pig and a company called Arengus once expected to harvest them.
The business apparently didn't work so sport fishing was next.
Here you can visit the blog of a good friend who went there just asking the proper permission.

http://gigantesdesantacruz.blogspot.com/

Surrounding Strobel there are many smaller lakes and lagoons all of volcanic origin. Some of them with big trout but perhaps not that big.
The basin is endorreic and the food is basically scuds. The question remains whether Strobel will suffer the same fate of Cardiel. A lake once filled with huge trout but today, full of small, slim fish due to food shortage. Happens that all these lakes never had a single fish before trout introduction. Instead of the "biological sensation" portrayed by Loop, there are good chances this is a biological disaster.

Bottom line, can you get there on your own?
yes and perhaps for free, but you should know someone in the area taking care of these permissions beforehand.
Again the problem is access. Being waters of public domain, we all should have an open access to the lake. Cardiel Lake, in the vicinity, does have one. But public officers are sitting on their hands meanwhile.

This is not to say: hey go there on your own, dont pay Loop that much money!
Everyone knows what is willing/ unwilling to do.
All this is to let you guys know the full picture of things so none can pull your legs.

Guille   

Guillermo Magariņos

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 05:59:12 PM »

Hola Guillermo!

?Y como va la pesca de dorado en la parana?

Hi, fishing in Parana is not as good as it used to be due to poachers but mainly because the river was harvested by commercial fishing operations. Sabalo, an important part of doradoīs diet has been fished way too much so now some provinces are taking steps to revert the situation. In Santa Fe those steps are kinda joke but Corrientes is taking the issue more seriously.
It is a very complex problem since there are cultural traditions amongst the people living there which are very hard to change.
Iīd rather fish for dorado in Salta and Santiago del Estero Provinces.
Rio Dulce and Rio Juramento are the spots.

Guille

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 06:39:20 PM »

Thanks for that G. It really looked and sounded to good to be a wild treasure and something had to be wrong with what seemed that perfect .  :'( . On second thought , Loop and other groups might be riding the Jurassic Lake thing a little too hard.

Your friends blog seems like a more reasonble account but exciting none the less. They hit a few other gems along theway as well ;)

As for trying to get there , its not in my cards right away but Patagoina would make a great trip for the family down the road.

Thanks again !
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 09:08:23 PM »

Well Guillermo, thats too bad to hear that the fishery is in bad shape.  But its also good to here that there is some measures for conservation over there.  I fished there a few times when I was really young as my whole family is from Rosario.  My abuelo was a fanatic of dorado fishing and even made his own crankbaits over 40 years ago for just that purpose... I still have them somewhere, and should put up a picture some time they are truely monsterous.

Any plans to fish in Canada?

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »

You can go to Lake Dieffenbacker in Saskatchewan where there are more bigger trout that this.
World record was caught there. 43.6 lbs

Guillermo Magariņos

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2008, 05:43:55 PM »

Well Guillermo, thats too bad to hear that the fishery is in bad shape.  But its also good to here that there is some measures for conservation over there.  I fished there a few times when I was really young as my whole family is from Rosario.  My abuelo was a fanatic of dorado fishing and even made his own crankbaits over 40 years ago for just that purpose... I still have them somewhere, and should put up a picture some time they are truely monsterous.

Any plans to fish in Canada?

Hi Jonny, itīs very sad to see what became of Parana river but people are taking action to reverse it, letīs hope for the best!!
I would love to fish in Canada some day but still is out of my league, been told you guys have great fishing there!!
About Strobel, my friend el Gaita posted some pictures of a trip he made with some fishermen from Lituania some days ago.
All the pictures are from Strobel except the one with the red bridges on the back which is Santa Cruz river and a steelhead.

http://www.patagoniahosting.net/foro/showthread.php?t=4418

Saludos a todos!!!

Guillermo