Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jurassic Lake - Patagonia  (Read 10058 times)

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 11:16:37 PM by coryandtrevor »
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

ejeffrey

Re: Jurassic Lake - Patagonia
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 03:14:03 PM »

All right, time to move to Argentina.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 03:43:35 PM »

A person has to wonder what those fish eat because they aren't sea run Rainbows at all-see image of Lake Sobel.

And Lake Sobel is the proper name-looks like someone was trying to sell trips there under the Jname until the locals caught up with them.

http://freeargentinewaters.wordpress.com/2007/08/12/loop-adventures-discovers-lake-in-south-patagonia/

According to official site, Loop Adventures has “newly discovered” [sic] a lake in Santa Cruz province referred to as “Jurassic Lake”, same lake long known by everyone else as Lake Strobel.

Doing business in other people´s countries and openly calling their lakes by a name other than the originally given is offensive and shows lack of finesse, but even worse, using such a ridiculous appellative is unforgivable…

I mean, let´s get serious. Think for a while about running a fly fishing operation in Sweden´s Ljungan River advertising it world wide as “Hey, come to fish the newly discovered Maradona River…“

You get the picture, right?

Another concern, and not least important, it seems that Loop Adventures would be selling fishing weeks for Lake Strobel beginning October 20th 2007 while the “Continental Patagonia General Sportfishing Rules and Regulations” for next season will allow fishing in that lake as early as November 1st 2007.

You can check this out clicking Jurassic Lake Pre Season and Pre Season Booking, both official Loop Adventures pages.

Post Update: On Saturday August 25th, display of both out-of-season weeks (Oct20-Oct27 and Oct27-Nov3) was removed from Loop Adventures site.

http://freeargentinewaters.wordpress.com/

David_R

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 04:51:21 PM »

Nice fish but yeah I do agree that is pretty underhanded.
Especially fishing out of season.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 05:06:40 PM »

some of the landing jobs werent great either.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

coryandtrevor

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 05:46:36 PM »

Yeah I read up on all things pointed out by Sam and understand that it might not be the most ethical of situations but I posted these videos for entertainment value only  ;D

and yes some of the handling is very poor

I still want to go !!!! might be a bit windy for the old float tube though.........

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 06:23:05 PM »

Those fish are absolutley massive! I wanna go so bad, that would be so much fun but yea I agree that the fish weren't landed very nicely in some cases, like the one on the rocks.....  If that keeps up those fish they are advertising wont be in very good shape in a few years.

coryandtrevor

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 07:12:19 PM »

Those fish are absolutley massive! I wanna go so bad, that would be so much fun but yea I agree that the fish weren't landed very nicely in some cases, like the one on the rocks.....  If that keeps up those fish they are advertising wont be in very good shape in a few years.

Patagonia is already in rough shape. Off the east coast is the richest fishery left on earth. Massive commercial fishing happens there. When you look at SA at night from space, the brightest lights are all the commercial squidders and other operations running around the clock.

I am under the impression that getting to 'Jurassic Lake' is quite the ordeal 7 - 10 hours from anywhere  and its really tough on anyone without a helicopter. Its one of those rich guy destinations and they are the minority on planet earth. Aside from that , that lake is close to 18km by 18km and they are only fishing from a few select spots from shore  showing that the lake is chocked full of beasts. Enough to last a few trips anyway. If I had to choose an exotic location to travel and fish , Patagonia is by far one of the most interesting places to go to on earth and that lake is probably only one of many.

I feel what Loop is doing out there is not that bad compared to bow fishing carp from speedboats or pulling fish out of a lake with your truck.

8)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 01:06:38 AM by coryandtrevor »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 08:03:36 PM »

Did someone open a fishfarm on that lake?
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 03:56:03 PM »

I didn't even know that there are regulations for fishing in argentina...  Perhaps someone could enlighten.  Who enforces?  Who do you pay and know that you're actually getting a liscence?  As far as I have heard most of the water in patagonia and St. Cruz is private access and very expensive to access in places.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 04:15:31 PM »

I didn't even know that there are regulations for fishing in argentina...  Perhaps someone could enlighten.  Who enforces?  Who do you pay and know that you're actually getting a liscence?  As far as I have heard most of the water in patagonia and St. Cruz is private access and very expensive to access in places.

Why would there not be regulations-we're talking about Argentina not the moon!(Of course that's the kind of thinking that got those 3 yanquis deported from Chile).

See pic of Buenos Aires for your edification.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 07:59:34 PM »

So sam, what are the regs then?  Your response does nothing to clarify the question.  And please don't assume too much about my knowledge of argentina.  So again, anyone know the regs?

Why would there not be regulations-we're talking about Argentina not the moon!(Of course that's the kind of thinking that got those 3 yanquis deported from Chile).

See pic of Buenos Aires for your edification.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 08:18:15 PM »

You can look 'em up online-even understand them if you speak Spanish.

coryandtrevor

« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 08:24:22 PM by coryandtrevor »

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 08:50:57 PM »

Thanks for the link Coryandtrevor.

Sam, you are an annoying old man.  ::)