Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worst motel/hotel you stayed at  (Read 6560 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Worst motel/hotel you stayed at
« on: March 15, 2008, 07:22:36 AM »

After getting a laugh at the comments about the "skidmark inn" (I think I've been wearing their flag for some time now) thought it would be good to share some info on bad places to stay.

The one that tops my list was the 4 Seasons motel on the east side of Kamloops. $112 a night for a room that I had to air out all my belongings for a week when I got home because of the cigarette smoke smell impregnated into them. The room was a ramshackle version of a downtown Vancouver crack house. Drug deals are available in their parking lot from 6am on.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Morty

Re: Worst motel/hotel you stayed at
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 12:43:37 PM »

Kinaird B.C. (freezing cold February night) - none;  "it" was full so 2 of us had to sleep in a 1970 Gremlin parked behind a roadside billboard. 
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 01:13:55 PM »

It's hard to even find a clean glass in the Cobalt. ;D Generations of cockroaches and bedbugs are the historic legacy of that place.

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 01:43:57 PM »

In the 80's we would go to the Calgary Stampede every summer and one year dad thought it would be good to roll into town a night early to get a head start on the festivities. Well, every place within 50 miles of Calgary is booked solid durring the Stampede (  :-Xreally?) so after scouring all known lodging in the Cowtown area, we had to settle for what is now remebered as the Mo-hell.

It was early in the morning before we found this dump ( i cant remeber the name or what small villiage it was in), 1 hour outside Calgary, packrats scurrying for cover as we pulled in, the lobby smelled like a bums nuts**k and the guy at counter was real gem as I remember. The floor of the room was slanted in all directions, the toilet seat cracked in several places and lashed together poorly with electricians tape. My mom thought we would all be dead before we hit the pancake breakfast back in town.

The Calgary International was a kings palace after a night at the Mo-hell. 
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 02:42:57 PM »

Similar experience as Trouthbreath. I believe it was the Best Western in Chilliwack. We specifically asked for a no smoking room. The one we got reeked of stale smoke, linens also reeked of cigarette smoke. It will be cold day in Hell before I patronize that hotel again. :(

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 05:20:42 PM »

Not a hotel/Motel, But the worst place BY a LOOOONG shot was at Loon lake resort. What a frigin DUMP.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 10:23:45 PM »

That was probably High River coryandtrevor :) I still have a scar on my big toe from the persistant case of athletes foot that was surgically removed after staying in a Motel there. Can't remember the name though. Irish coffee in every room was there signature feature. I know what you mean by bad resorts  Rp3Flyfisher I stayed at one in Balfour that even that rats deserted. Too many leaks in the roof and using the shower required signing a waiver, also notifying next of kin.

Ontario Guy

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 08:10:02 AM »

I won't mention it's name but there is a "local" motel where by fishing buddy and I used to stay where we had to "plead" with them to give us more than 1 roll of toilet paper per day!  the bedsheets were never changed and were full of sand and probably other stuff... You could smell that previous guests BO still lingering in the room...
We got in trouble for cleaning fish in the room but I have to say that the room smelled much more refreshed after this!

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 10:04:37 AM »

I was listening to the radio and the talk show host said he stayed in a place that had a sign in the bathroom saying "do not gut your deer in the tub". 

veddereject

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 12:45:01 PM »

Fishing the Vedder and need a place to stay?  Would advise not getting a room at the Trader's Inn on the other side of the highway!
The rooms are dirt cheap, but I imagine it's similiar to staying in a Turkish prison cell, minus the delight.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 04:21:58 PM »

I was listening to the radio and the talk show host said he stayed in a place that had a sign in the bathroom saying "do not gut your deer in the tub". 

;D ;D

Piranha

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 06:36:05 PM »

every motel and hotel i've stayed in feels/looks dirty to me. no matter how clean the place is there was somebody sleeping there before you and who knows what they did in that place.  :-\

Nothing beats camping. What a wonderful feeling is to wake up and crawl out of the tent and plant your bare feet right in the dirt.  :D  The fresh air and the sounds of birds and cool breeze blowing through your hair is something you won't get at a hotel. And when nature calls there is nothing better than walking deep into the bush to find a nice spot where you do your thing in piece while still enjoying the scenary.   :D When eating at a picnic table you have ants crawl up your body all the way to your head to see what you are eating, chipmunks peak out from around trees hoping for that you share some food with them, wasps swarm above your food and try to steal your hot dogs, giant mosquito swarms try to take you away at night if you are not protected. It cannot get any better than that   :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 06:52:30 PM by Piranha »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 10:03:02 PM »

I'm partial to tent camping because you always choose your site and the view or whatever comes with the place. Fresh cool air to clear out the nasal cavities helps me sleep. The sound of nature right outside the fabric is intoxicating.  8) Bugs are free meals for the financially challenged.

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 08:40:33 AM »

I'm surprised that the guy who is famous for wearing a Maple Leaf Hat hasn't commented on his favorite accommodation in Yale. ;D
"One man of courage makes a majority"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 10:42:43 AM »

I'm surprised that the guy who is famous for wearing a Maple Leaf Hat hasn't commented on his favorite accommodation in Yale. ;D
It was very nice thankyou, once I used a can of flea killer. ;D ;D ;D

My best accommodation, sleeping in The Leaf Mobile. ???