Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slow Poke on the Stamp February 16th, 2008  (Read 13701 times)

mastercaster

• Old Timer
Slow Poke on the Stamp February 16th, 2008
« on: February 20, 2008, 02:00:56 PM »

Went on my first guided trip on the Stamp on Saturday with a buddy of mine.  Weather conditions were near perfect for winter fishing...the water a little too clear and low but no major complaints.  Unfortunately for us there are very few fish in the system right now...our guide had said that three aquaintances of his swam the river a week or so ago and reported only 140 fish in total, a far cry from what it should be.  The majority of these fish are above the bucket making it very slim pickings for the boats that need to fish below.  We had heard horror stories that between all the guides last week only one fish had been hooked below the bucket.

The boat we were fishing from was capable of getting up into the area of the falls (above the bucket) so we saw fish, as stale as they were.  This is a bait retriction in this area which makes it tougher but I did manage to hook two hatcheries, both dark two casts in a row.  I kept one for a dissection for my grade five class.  My buddy was boned as were all the shore anglers.

It was an interesting day but we were expecting far better results from this great river.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 12:52:49 AM by Rodney »

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: Slow Poke on the Stamp
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 02:38:36 PM »

Sorry to hear you didn't have a more successful outing...at least the kids will get to learn a bit of fish anatomy. 

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 03:56:56 PM »

Could you not have bought a Perch or something instead of killing a Steelhead to show grade 5 kids who probably couldnt tell the difference between a Steelhead and an Antelope? ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 10:29:18 PM »

Dissections are difficult to perform with a perch in front of a group of young students. Small body, small package (disclaimer: such biological phenomenon does not apply to all living things).

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 07:24:38 AM »

Cammer, what master caster did is plain and simply wrong, this isnt a personal decision its actually the law.

Base on the provincial regs:

It is illegal too:
Waste the fish you catch. If your fish is not suitable for eating or if possession is illegal because of
quotas, size limits or closed seasons, return the fish quickly and gently to the water.

In terms of you point regarding hatchery brood, IMO any offspring whether from hatchery or wild parents are better than not having any offspring at all.

I know the game wardens south of the boarder would have strung a guy up for something like this and in fact, I don't think it say much for the guide that he didn't A) himself understand the regs or B) explain them to the fisher.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 07:27:06 AM by Gooey »

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 09:33:29 AM »

Better yet,buy a whole bag of Perch and let each student disect away. ;)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 09:57:37 AM »

After they dissected it , they ate it.  :P

That fish died for a noble cause....lets see....educate kids and talk to them about his experience on the river and how there are not as many fish around these days, and why it is important to protect them, maybe enlighten some kids and create some future conservationists, or, don't take the opportunity and do nothing....or eat the fish.  Not to make light of the regs, but come on.....plain and simply wrong?  I don't think so.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 10:21:12 AM »

Those who follow rules just because they are rules are sheep. If you wish to be a true individual ask "why?" is a law a law. Try and understand why things are the way they are rather than just blindly accepting that they are.

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 10:53:33 AM »

Cool ,

I tried that method of reasoning and got fined. ;D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 11:07:41 AM by coryandtrevor »
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 12:12:17 PM »

Those who follow rules just because they are rules are sheep. If you wish to be a true individual ask "why?" is a law a law. Try and understand why things are the way they are rather than just blindly accepting that they are.

it was wrong to kill a steelie for the sake of exploitation....and like Gooey pointed out, it is clearly indicated on the regs.

unfortunately i disagree with your sheep analogy, only because people (by nature) don't give a rat's my friend about always doing the right thing. whether its a minor degree of littering like flicking a butt in the river or going over the speed limit.  sometimes its better that people follow the guidelines and regs just because they're outlined....rather than have some shmokel over- analyze them, only to misinterperate what is written.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 12:19:48 PM »

Steelhead are poor eating anyway.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 01:32:44 PM »

it was wrong to kill a steelie for the sake of exploitation....and like Gooey pointed out, it is clearly indicated on the regs.

unfortunately i disagree with your sheep analogy, only because people (by nature) don't give a rat's *** about always doing the right thing. whether its a minor degree of littering like flicking a butt in the river or going over the speed limit.  sometimes its better that people follow the guidelines and regs just because they're outlined....rather than have some shmokel over- analyze them, only to misinterperate what is written.

phhh since when is education the same as exploitation?  Dion I think you're bang on with the analogy.  Morality and legality are two completely different things and if my morals contradict the law, guess which one I'm going with....I mean for f's sakes, if a person's kids was injured badly in the bush and needed immediate attention, you'd expect that person would do the speed limit all the way back to town just because its a law?  And I know the counter "you'd just be further endangering yourself and others".....but as a calculated risk its a good one.  Use your head, use discretion and common sense.  If more people did that things might actually get done in this country rather than tied up in our toothless courts.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 01:54:53 PM »

Bummer, we were heading there to catch some for my friends garden. ;D
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 04:12:12 PM »

Good point Dion, ask why its wrong to waste a fish (of any species)   ::)   What's wrong about removing a spawning adult from the gene pool?   :-[

So would anyone have cared if the guy had killed the fish for the roe?  I think we would have seen some pretty harsh comments.  End result is the same...that fish wont spawn and produce offspring.  So is it OK just because someone thinks the cause is noble ie killing a fish for some class's educational benefit vs topping up your bait? 

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 05:49:11 PM »

End result is anything but the same( save your one contrived instance of the fish not spawning) .  Hmm lets see.....kill fish so you can kill more fish vs kill fish so you can do your part to educate kids about conservation in the guise of a "cool" day at school....give me a break. 

I'm sorry Gooey that you see education as a waste.  I'm not thinking about the kids either.....education benefits the salmon, if you can fathom that.