Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slow Poke on the Stamp February 16th, 2008  (Read 13714 times)

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Slow Poke on the Stamp
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 05:52:03 PM »

i think wat he did was perfectly fine. he educated students about steelhead thats cool, lighten up.

and to whoever said steelhead are poor eating, you either have no taste buds or are eating spawners as steelhead is one of my favourites
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

winter steel

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 05:57:01 PM »

Wow, chastizing someone for educating a classroom full of kids, with a fish legally caught, retained within his limit, that he paid for (guided trip)........I must say a tough crowd we have here. By the way Gooey, surely you have seen some of the photos in Salmon, Trout and Steelhead where the fish kept are definately not suitable for eating, yet are retained. I think your assumption about enforcement in the states concerning the retaining of fish may not be as stringent as you would like and I am sure none of us anglers have ever kept a female, white spring (or female chum) for roe and have given the fish away or decided to "smoke" it because it became edible then right?. I think it is safe to say that all fishermen (me most definately included) at one time or another have used poor judgement or have lacked the understanding to make a good decision, only to learn from it. The topic really does not need that much scrutiny and it is definately not a morality/ethical issue. For those of you so concerned about ethics/education and the betterment of our sport do it where it really counts and thats on the river, tight lines WS.

P.S. Kingpin my wife would definately agree, a nice, mild flavour that is not overpowering.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 06:00:57 PM by winter steel »

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 06:16:10 PM »

if one kid left that classroom with a better understanding of what goes on in are river systems, then that fish has saved many more. These kids are the future conservationists.

I'm disappointed at the narrow minded replies against education.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 06:20:22 PM »

This is kind of like the cutties that were retained on the Chehalis, many people didnt agree with that and some did....oh just wait there is one EXCEPTION...killing a fish that isn't going to be consumed is illegal.  Because they were open for retention, the retention of those cutties were a personal/moral issue for that individual fish and each fisher will need to make their own decision with issues like that.  But this steelie is a totally different issue.  

WS - what makes you think that fish was legal?  As soon as he made the conclusion that it wasnt table worthy it should have been released.  Based on his comment, I assume that probably was done before he bonked the fish.

I quoted the regs verbatum, they seem pretty straight forward to me.  Like I said before, my general position be it the cutties of this steelhead, a

PS - King pin, your totally within your right to think what he did is OK, just be aware that DFO is also within their right to charge him for that action.

Cheers

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 06:27:00 PM »

Narrow minded against education...thats a load of crap!  Hey if mastercaster wasnt informed on or regs and he made a mistake, that fine I think everyone deserves a bit of leeway as the regs can be hard to read but what I dont agree with is people deciding when the regs apply.  I dont know if anyone actually read my first entry...here it is again:

It is illegal too:
Waste the fish you catch. If your fish is not suitable for eating or if possession is illegal because of
quotas, size limits or closed seasons, return the fish quickly and gently to the water.

I didn't make that up, cut and paste right from the regs so do we as individual fishers get to chose when the regs apply to us or which ones we choose to follow?

Dieing to hear your response WS?!?  ;)

PS - if education is the goal, I can highly recommend a tour of the seymour hatchery, I am sure much can be learn there with out killing a viable fish.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 06:45:05 PM »

Wow, chastizing someone for educating a classroom full of kids, with a fish legally caught, retained within his limit, that he paid for (guided trip)........I must say a tough crowd we have here.

I'd say a lot of small minded jealous people who look to find fault. ::)

winter steel

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 07:02:36 PM »

Hey Gooey, I am glad you can read, it is obvious that our education system didn't fail you. However, we learned to read in grade 1/2 (or later for some) and then most of us have moved on to bigger and better things, like using judgement, common sense, the ability to interpret and make a decision based on what we determine is right or wrong. I'm sure mastercaster could hire a lawyer to solidify that the fish was not wasted, as it states It is illegal too: waste the fish you catch. The period at the end of the sentence concludes a point and a new one is raised following. If your going to play devil's advocate, do so with more than just "that is exactly what the regs say." Hey Gooey have you knowingly retained fish that were illegally hooked ie flossed/snagged, oh right the regulations don't say no flossing. Come on Gooey, give me something more than that: your talking to somebody who has known you for ten years. Oh and yeah, good one, with take the kids for a tour of the hatchery I'm sure you'll have their attention more so than disecting a big fish.......especially the boys.....the next generation of fishermen, yeah they would hate the guts and stuff. Sorry, Nicole and the fisherwomen out there, I realize I'm not being PC and I apologize, just trying to make a point tightllines, WS.

P.S. Sorry, I didn't mean to bold everything, my mistake.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 07:19:14 PM »

Nobody has mentioned how poor of run this river has received this year other than the original poster .
Like i said in my original post ,these kids dont know the difference between a Steelhead or an Antelope and hiding behind the excuse that it was for education is a lame excuse.
This fish could have spawned and in a year like this ,every fish counts.
Education of grade fives does not warrant killing a Steelhead for in any circumstances.
There are plenty of fish out there that are readily available to purchase and do whatever you want with.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 08:11:41 PM »

WS - the point I was hoping you (any one one else) would comment on is whether a fisher should be deciding what regs they choose to follow or when.  And after 10 years, you should know I love to play devils advocate!

Seriously though, based on the regs, it illegal to kill a fish you aren't going to eat....I agree with that 100%, not much room for interpretation in my books.

as you know WS both my parents are teachers so I am somewhat familiar with the scope and nature of schooling in a class of that age.  The human circulatory system is studied and in fact my dads school does a pigs heart dissection at that grade level.  Pigs are often used based on their similarity to humans.  A fish how ever is totally different...no lungs, 2 heart chambers opposed to 4, etc, etc. a  Basically a fish is not the best subject to use in support of learning the actual ciriculum. Now I do agree the that a dissection of a fish in class could offer a huge benefit in terms of capturing a students attention, imagination, etc, but I think there are a number of better sources for specimens than a steelhead from a natural river that would spawn otherwise.

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 09:44:03 PM »

Based on cammer's comment, if the river has a strong run of them, keeping a single hatchery fish for the benifit and future of the kids and fish does much more good than bad IMO.   

Michael

winter steel

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008, 10:30:52 PM »

Gooey, I did comment on it...... the whole thing about reading and moving on past that level of thought process (making decisions, interpretation, common sense, determining wright from wrong etc)........ perhaps I spoke to soon about your education ;D Also, why argue about what would make a great disection choice, it was about what he used the fish for and the legalities of it. I simply do not feel the fish went to waste and thank you for the biology lesson/lecture ;D. Firstlight, you are absolutely right about the poor return on the Stamp and yes, his specimen of choice could have been better (bass ;D had he hooked one), but he was not hiding behind that fact, nor should he. If we are so concerned about the returns on a hatchery system or any for that matter and things truly are bad than shut it down, close it completely for a full cycle....I would be in full support of that, but please save me the well that one hatchery clipped fish will make a difference bit when you could make that argument for the impact that one fish could have on the future generation of anglers. I can't guarantee you that his lesson had a profound impact on those kids, nor could you tell me if that fish would absolutely spawn had he released it, but if mastercaster is passionate about the sport and the fish that make it worth getting up at firstlight for (I couldn't resist), I can asure you that more good was done than bad in that classroom and it is a shame that some can not see that, tightlines WS.

P.S. Sam Salmon agreed!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 10:40:31 PM by winter steel »

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2008, 10:47:11 PM »

I think more people on here need to get out of the house, have a life, and maybe even fish.

ahaha nice
hardware == fish

winter steel

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2008, 10:50:27 PM »

Ghost fish, what time are you coming to pick me up at and how much money can you donate for my wife to go shopping with as that will determine how long I can go for ;D! You are absolutely right, unfortunately I got sucked into the topic given I am a teacher as well, shouldn't this be about fishing reports, perhaps one of the moderators will move it to the discussion forum, tightlines WS.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2008, 11:18:54 PM »

justify it all you want, sugar coat it, or even misdirect the facts i guess it doesn't matter. what it really comes down to is self entitlement.
you paid for your guides, your license and tags. you figure you have the right to retain your catch.....just like the guy who caught the cuttie at chehalis..... but don't talk education when really its nothing more than show and tell.  at least the guy who retained the cuttie did so for table fare.

small minded. Maybe.   ethics vs. moral obligation to the law.  you decide....just remember, when come the topic of bbing on the fraser, don't get the two confused.....especially those of you who work on a double standard.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008, 08:29:13 AM »

I didn't report on my Stamp trip but it had been slow fishing for others also.  Rolli still came through for us as winter steel and I got the only fish that day. I got into 4 and kept two, Ws kept one.
Fish on!