Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chilliwack JAN24, I'm home early for one reason only  (Read 5193 times)

Colorado Grinner

• never enough
Re: chilliwack JAN24, I'm home early for one reason only
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 08:07:21 PM »

Great read guy,
Sure pays to work the same water over.
Can't believe you got your gear back!!!

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 09:44:32 PM »

nice story man
well done
nevet had a steel on a blade yet

two years ago i hooked into a wild male released it, cast back into the same run and hooked a wild female right in the same spot
a mating pair maybe ???
then i moved on to leave them too it :D

allwaysfishin

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 10:09:54 PM »

blades have taken easily 50% of the steelhead i've hooked in the chilliwack over the past few years i've been fishing them. I started getting consistant results fishing them in certain flow conditions and even more so with spaced out spilt shot on my line. Chris saw me take one early one mornin a week or so ago... the float had barely settled when it disappeared. One thing about blades, when the fish decide to take em.... they take em pretty hard. Many guys don't fish em till it warms up a bit... I find current conditions on the wack to be just about perfect for success on blades. look for those seams that want to pull your float away from you at the same time it is floatin down river, then dead drift it like bait..... the current will do the rest. Also, don't cast upstream at all, cast 90 degrees to your shore position and this sets up the float to "bait" presentation better with a blade.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 10:18:30 PM »

Great read guy,
Sure pays to work the same water over.
Can't believe you got your gear back!!!
Especially the drennan. ;D ;D ;D

allwaysfishin

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 11:16:03 PM »

i use 20# waxed flyline backing and tie it like a uni knot, 10 wraps to make a very snug float stop... i'm just glad that drennan didn't get smashed.

mmmroe

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2008, 03:53:09 AM »

blades have taken easily 50% of the steelhead i've hooked in the chilliwack over the past few years i've been fishing them. I started getting consistant results fishing them in certain flow conditions and even more so with spaced out spilt shot on my line. Chris saw me take one early one mornin a week or so ago... the float had barely settled when it disappeared. One thing about blades, when the fish decide to take em.... they take em pretty hard. Many guys don't fish em till it warms up a bit... I find current conditions on the wack to be just about perfect for success on blades. look for those seams that want to pull your float away from you at the same time it is floatin down river, then dead drift it like bait..... the current will do the rest. Also, don't cast upstream at all, cast 90 degrees to your shore position and this sets up the float to "bait" presentation better with a blade.

Blades are deadly if you know how to fish them.... allwaysfishing explained it perfectly..... I like using the blades in colder temps since they bite out of aggression........In deeper pools with minimal flow I've fished blades under a float and using a retrieve with good success..... hey allwaysfishing where do you get your french blades? since I find that the angeloes  blades are sh*t....I used to order my blades from the states since they are heavier but they went outta business
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 09:52:05 AM by mmmroe »

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 05:56:58 AM »

great read there "T"  ;D gonna have to hit it again when i get another chance to go  ;)

scruffy

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2008, 01:26:21 PM »

A few years ago, a guy landed a silver wild doe but didn't have a camera so I took a photo for him and emailed it later on. A few minutes after he released it, he made another cast and again hooked up! Once the fish reached shore, we were both stunned as it was the same fish. I asked, "So do you want another photo with that?" ;)

tnt

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2008, 03:03:33 PM »

I landed the same hatchery buck 3 times in an hour a few years ago... the third time he wasnt so lucky and I took him home, I honestly didnt think he would have survived after that...he loved his prawn and clown corky though... almost felt a little guilty...
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

allwaysfishin

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2008, 04:39:41 PM »

mmmroe... I deal with berry's bait exclusively for my blades, the blades sold there are brought in bulk from the states... I remember when i was workin there a couple years back.... countin out 10 packs from bulk bags on the slow days... 

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2008, 05:21:10 PM »

Any blades that are top quality are manufacured by the Worth Company.
Maybe now that our dollar is par it is worth ordering them up from them.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2008, 07:04:39 PM »

thats probably the only reason i dont use "silver" blades (nickel) they aren't true silver, they still flash, but compare the two and its like a normal bulb and an LED = HUGE!  Normally i'll stick to brass, but the traditional copper comes out to play every once in a while when fishing is slow and need to get them to bite again
Fish killer 101

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2008, 07:19:05 PM »

i thought i misread ur report..TWICE :o....thats awesome....congrats man!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2008, 10:34:36 PM »

Was gonna go out today.... but..... I slept till 9:30 a.m.  :o and worked at home today..... perhaps tomorrow
I use nothing but 50/50 genuine gold/silver in either #4 french, #3 & #4 colorado both hammered or smooth surface. they are on average $12.oo per 10 bulk blades. No other blades have produced like the 50/50 finish for me.... it's a noticeable difference.

Boozi

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 10:39:05 PM »

blades dont work for me
Toss that Roe and get a Hoe