Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chilliwack JAN24, I'm home early for one reason only  (Read 5141 times)

allwaysfishin

chilliwack JAN24, I'm home early for one reason only
« on: January 24, 2008, 12:08:13 PM »

;D
Hit up some upper river water today at first light, fresh batch of prawns in the bait box and some 50/50 frenchies rigged and ready to go. Hiked in and fished some water me and blueback fished on derby day. Not a soul in sight.... everything was frosty and slippery..... just a wee bit nipply this mornin on the upper. Days like today i'm glad i built my rod with zirconia guides.... ice just doesn't like to stick to zirconia I've found.
I positioned myself at the head of the run which holds the deepest water and began close to shore, gradually moving my casts farther out. With an uneventful first hour slipping by, I switch from prawn to blade. My first cast with the blade got all screwed up and landed 1/4 of the way across the run, and i ended up with a minor backlash on my reel. I'm looking down at my reel, working the small tangle with my icy fingers....when i suddenly feel something pulling at my line. My float, which was resting in the shallows maybe 30 feet below me,  is gone... then it pops up... in very shallow water close to shore. I can't do anything yet as my line is still slightly tangled on the spool. I'm figuring this pulling is just the current on my float..... but then all hell breaks loose. A larger steelhead is now violently rolling in the shallows, impaled on my blades siwash hook  :o . I have no choice but to fight this fish, while still having a few loops of the tangle to work out of reel. After reeling up and feeling the full fight of the fish, it swims towards me, I reel as fast as i can. The steelhead, a nice 12plus pound buck... is now directly in front of me in the gin clear water. OMFG it's a hatchery I realize.... and then.... like Karma on speed.... the fish bolts out and down river, taking line. I give chase, adjusting my drag and keeping control.... and then SNAP........ the line comes to a dead stop as the fish hits the first of the still tangled loops in my reel...... fish gone  :'(

Well, I sit.... on my defeated butt, light up a happy smoke and dive into fixing my tangled reel and re rigging as i lost it all, a 3.00 spinner and a 7.00 drennan..... sacrificed to the steelhead gods hehehe
I take my time, have a coffee and then, all the re rigging is done, I loop a fresh prawn to the hook and back at it. I fished the run up and down from head to tailout, switching from prawn to blade to jensen egg in the tailout and then it happens..... float down, hook set, i feel the weight of a thrashing steelhead and the battle is on. This fish zipped around in the run for a few minutes, jumping once...... but something wasn't right.... there was something else on this fish... but more of that later as the fish heads down river I give chase through one set of rapids and into a smaller run where i manage after probably 10 to 15 minutes to bring the fish to the shallows. I see instantly that this big steelhead is a hatchery buck...... about 12 maybe 14 pounds..... Then i see something else..... a 50/50 french blade.... hanging from his lip...... right beside the jensen egg and wool, which was also stuck in his lip. On further inspection...... my whole rig..... blade, leader, split shot and drennan as well as about 50 feet of mainline is all still attached to this fish....... I have not knowingly hooked the same steelhead in the same run in my years of steelheading.... but there was no doubt about this one.

so..... out came the bonker , marked my liscence and headed for home. I think i'll head up again tomorrow and see what i can sink a hook into.
Conditions in the upper are about 4 to 6 inches lower than derby day and gin clear and cold where i was fishing. Talked to two anglers on the way out.... they saw one smaller hatchery doe whacked at first light and 2 wild fish released in the run above and around the corner from my lil secret spot.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 12:12:39 PM by allwaysfishin »

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: chilliwack JAN24, I'm home early for one reason only
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 12:51:38 PM »

Happy smoke. ;D ;D

allwaysfishin

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 01:00:11 PM »

hehehe, i was being politically correct LOL

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 01:28:20 PM »

Hey Thomas great read,thanks for sharing ,i cant wait to get out again and try my luck.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 01:36:16 PM »

Good thing it was a hatchery that you ended up bonking.  Steelhead can be so aggressive that they will bite again quite quickly...it's happened to me a few times over the years.  It's for that reason several rivers have been closed down to bait or should be if they have only wild fish.  It's not because they might swallow the bait but because of all the additional stress put on the fish on the second hooking, playing, and releasing.  Their chance of survival is much slimmer no matter how careful you are at not overplaying the fish, releasing it properly without over handling it. Just think how much stress the fish is subject to on a third or fourth hooking?    It might live to go through the rigors of spawning but  I doubt it would mend in order to spawn again.

A guy I know hooked the same 43 inch steelie (at least28-30 Lbs.) a second time within 15 minutes of releasing it on a spoon.  It gave its all twice...it wasn't injured and it swam away but man, did he feel like crap, knowing it's chance of survival was poor to none.  Sure , can't afford to lose fish like that on an endangered river like the Thompson.  Not a problem on the Vedder, however.

It's always a huge surprise when you catch a fish twice...makes you think catching steelhead should be a lot easier than it is.  Nice bonus, though...getting all your gear back besides landing the fish!  Hate losing those drennans.  >:(

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 01:36:42 PM »

Now that was a great story!

;D
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 02:05:22 PM »

Go and buy a Lotto ticket Thomas. Great read.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 02:46:27 PM »

haha..Id say it was your lucky day!

Any pics of this hungry fish?
weeeeeeeeeow!

Sabre

• Bite Me
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 03:41:10 PM »

Thanks for sharing your story Thomas, when are we going fishing?  ;) ;D

Will

allwaysfishin

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 03:41:14 PM »

i'm no longer posting glory shots..... not to brag but i have dozens of pics on the wall already..... it's gonna be a pretty special fish to merit photo's from me  ;) and ... the biggest reason i'm not taking pics...... fumbling with my camera or cell phone to take pics has cost me about 1600.00 in camera and phones from them fallin in the river over the past 2 years  ;D  ;D I'm married now..... can't afford to be replacing these things  ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 05:34:53 PM »

A Journal at its best, thanks for penning it. ;D ;D ;D

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 05:57:48 PM »

this year my first cast in a fishy seam i hooked and lost a fish after some head shakes .... next cast float down im stripped... next cast got her...
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

CALI 2 B.C.

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 06:46:13 PM »

at least somebody had a good day..i came home from getting skunked today to find out my grandma passed away late last night..great story though made me forget for a min. i need a hundrid happy smokes :( :( :( :( :( :(
famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 07:23:40 PM »

What a story. Thanks for sharing. Like FA said, buy a lottery. Steelheads will usually bite again, but to have all the lines and float hanging around its body and still bite within a short time, that is amazing. Congrats.

blueback

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 08:05:34 PM »

;D ;D Right on Thomas!! Great read too! I figured that you'd pull one outta there today, Congrats! Didn't hurt yourself chasin' em I hope, it's a tough run ;D? Weekend's a comin'!!