Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River-Jan. 05, 2008  (Read 6445 times)

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
Re: Vedder River-Jan. 05, 2008
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2008, 09:41:46 PM »

It happened when I'm trying to grab the fish by its head and tail for a quick photo shot when my index and ring fingers slipped into the gill area while the fish is still in the net.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2008, 09:51:17 PM »

It happened when I'm trying to grab the fish by its head and tail for a quick photo shot when my index and ring fingers slipped into the gill area while the fish is still in the net.

Thanks.  I must've missed that.     :-[

Interesting point to make about this though.  Best to ask the person involved the details about what occurred.  Chris assumed his fingers were red from pro-cure shrimp, a number of people thought the fish was bonked.  I need to learn to read more carefully.  ;D
President Club S. C. & P.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2008, 09:56:12 PM »

My pictures of Steelhead are of the fish in the water. Not all the slime and blood coming off the fish in a death grip so it can't jump out of my hands.

Anyway the guy's a beginner. ;D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 10:34:43 PM by Rodney »
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2008, 10:37:16 PM »

Thread reopened. Sorry fishiotherapist that I did not get to this fast enough, I was asleep here in Europe. ;)

Big steelhead for your first one. Others have already given you the pointers on catch and release for steelhead (or any other big salmonids actually) so there isn't a need to beat the dead horse further. I've made just as many mistakes when starting out, most people on here did too, just not admitting it publicly.

The rest of you, play nice.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 10:40:28 PM by Rodney »

allwaysfishin

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2008, 01:04:48 AM »

i wasn't gonna wade into this one, and i'm glad a few cooler heads have spoken up.
We were all stumbling through our beginning days, if anyone here can say they've never mishandled a fish in thier fishing carreers... they are liars, myself included.
Fishio seems to be one of those guys who wants to play by the rules, wants to take the time to learn the right way, and looks to many of us to shed light on this fishing game. Ya have to respect that.
BTW nice fish Fishio  ;)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2008, 01:25:09 AM »

Great fish, Fishio. Beginning's luck or what? You just have to be lucky too these days when steelies are not as abundant.
Thank you for handling those jabs so nicely. You must be a really nice guy. I don't mind fishing with you if Chris turns you down.  ;D  I am just as old as he is.  ;D
Talking about how a newbie steelie fisherman can get hammered for his success, the following is a true story of my newbie fishing partner some years ago:

I took a first time steelie newbie out trying to catch the elusive steelie. He had been fishing rock fish mostly, had no idea what steelie fishing is all about. So I loaned him all fishing equipment, including rod, bait-caster, and even the terminal set up. Boy, what a day he had. We started off right below the Tamahi Bridge, got him set up, then let him make the first cast. He had a fish on. But his rock-fish fishing background fouled up the rest. He did not let the fish run and reeled in with dear life. Of course, fish gone. Then I let him cast some more in the prime water while I casted to secondary spots. Before long, 2nd fish. Guess what, he held on with dear life again and there go the fish. After that, he told me he wanted to switch to his own equipment in the car. He came back with the big rock-fish equipment and the big spinning reel. I could'nt bear the sight. So I walked around some log jams to fish the pool below (the one you could see from Tamahi Bridge). I stood on a rock in the water & casted. Before long, I fell something rubbing my feet area. It was fishing line. I looked up. Here was my friend above the log jam waving at me madly. What happened? He hooked another fish again. But he was so scared about breaking off the fish, he flipped open the big spinning reel to let the fish have a free run down river. The steelie actually was swimming at the calm water right below where I stood. Knowing it was hopeless to have him land the fish, I told him to hold on, rushed back to the car parked at the Bridge, rushed back to the pool with a net, and gently pull on the line so the steelie did not even feel the pressure. Got it close enough to the rock and scoop it up with an outside-in scoop. Wow, what a way to land a fish, haha. What a beginner's luck too.

What happened next was just amazing. My friend had 3 fish on and got the only fish around that area. Other steelheaders gathered to look at the fish and talked to the fisherman who caught the fish. They found the guy not even with a vest, no wader, and holding a big meat stick up with a huge spinning reel and couldn't seem to answer any steelie question intelligently. At this point, one guy even asked if my friend had a license, and was eager to even check it out if he had a steelhead stamp or had the fish registered. It was quite embarrassing. I had to step in to intervene the harrassment.....LOL That is what you got when a newbie told every body he caught 3 steelies in a morning when every one else was skunked, including the poor mentor himself.  ;D

Be nice to the newbie steelhead fishermen. Every body started as a newbie before. Congratulation again Fishio, and welcome to the forum.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 01:32:47 AM by Steelhawk »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2008, 05:53:13 AM »

whether or not thats blood... learn how to handle fish. how would you like it if i grabbed you by the throat and throttled you? Im sure theres a ton of guys in line already. also a net is not a good idea unless its specifically designed for C & R.

He made a mistake and openly admits it. I dont want to put my hands around his neck. Why not try to put your hands around my neck, I doubt you would get very far with that.

Enough has been said on proper handling methods and I wont add anything other than if you do want to use a net use a proper catch and release net. The proper ones are not cheap so if you see one for under $100 its probably garbage.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2008, 08:20:11 AM »

The proper ones are not cheap so if you see one for under $100 its probably garbage.

The one that I use has been great and if I remember correctly, they are $40 each at Berry's. The opening is large enough for fish up to 12lb. The handle is extendable/collapsable. I usually have it collapsed and secured to the back of my back pack. The same net is used for fishing for pink, coho, bull trout in the Tidal Fraser. Good mesh quality, so far it has been excellent on catching and releasing fish. Lucky has the same one as well.

Here is a photo of the net being used.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 09:52:23 AM by Rodney »

fishiotherapist

• Haneyphysiotherapyclinic
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2008, 10:19:55 AM »

Just woke up and still on cloud 9 feeling after yesterday's adventure ;D.
Thanks for the fish net pic Rod, I'll definitely get one of those.
I will for sure give you a shout there Steelhawk and thanks   ;D ;D
Happy hunting for those guys going out today ;) ;)

Fishiotherapist

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2008, 02:04:46 PM »

stop being a blood hound, guys. Give the newbie a break. Fish are tough. How many times we caught fish, even steelies, with bad deep wounds from seal bites all over the body and still swimming, not even swimming, actually active enough to bite your presentation. Go figure. Yes, some will die, not just from wound but from exhaustion by getting hooked repeatedly by fishermen. Do we then tell the flyfishers to stop fishing their light equipment which take too long to land a fish, or tell people to stop fishing the mid/upper section of the river because those fish might have been hooked too many times? So why jump on the newbie who has been quite gracious about his mistake? Take it easy and fish in peace. Forum members should be courteous and nice to each other. Trust and respect other members and stop being a blood hound looking for troubles in every post, particularly those from self-professed newbies. That is my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 02:07:27 PM by Steelhawk »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2008, 02:09:27 PM »

Steelhawk summed it up perfectly for the thread. Deleted a few more posts, the negativity seems to be repeating itself once again so we'll close the thread now.