Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River-Jan. 05, 2008  (Read 6446 times)

fishiotherapist

• Haneyphysiotherapyclinic
Vedder River-Jan. 05, 2008
« on: January 05, 2008, 05:12:13 PM »

Inspired by Chris' report on his steelhead, I decided to try hunting for the very first time for these fish.
Armed with my salmon outfit and a roe sac, I began to cast and cast but no takings.
Switched to procured shrimp( prepared according to what the other guys are doing in this forum- many thanks guys) after several casts -fish on!!!
The feeling while I'm playing the fish reminded me when I used to play with those Chums @ Stave, it is for sure nice and sort of invigorating ;D ;D ;D

Fishiotherapist

Beast

Re: Vedder River-Jan. 05, 2008
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 05:51:05 PM »

very nice good for you!! ;D

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 05:55:16 PM »

Just curious, looks like an adipose fin by the crook of your right arm??? I'm hoping it's not!!!

fishiotherapist

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 06:03:39 PM »

It was indeed a wild doe and of course it is still swimming by midriver right now ;D ;D

Fishiotherapist

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 06:11:32 PM »

Wow that is a nice first steelie!  Congrats

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 06:13:56 PM »

Before I go off, lets start by saying Fishio is that all we have to go by here is the photo and I would have guessed that the fish in that shot was going to be bonked.  In fact based on the blood on you hand, I thought you had killed it already.

Fihio...you should never touch a fish in and around the gills, it looks like you have got a pretty good hold on it there.  As well, slime coats protect fish from disease and for a fish like steelhead that can return to the ocean after spawning, it is very important to disrupt it as little as possible.  Your are, your hand, your leg, they all look to be in contact with the fish...not the best thing for a fish your are going to release.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 06:15:51 PM by Gooey »

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 06:14:50 PM »

Dude your fingers are in the gills.

fishiotherapist

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 06:19:13 PM »

I know. It happened when I'm trying to grab the fish by its head and tail for a quick photo shot when my index and ring fingers slipped into the gill area while the fish is still in the net. Anyways it was released and was seen by other fishermen on the other bank.

Fishiotherapist

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 06:20:14 PM »

Congrats on the fish.  But some of the other members raise good points, on safe handling methods for catch and releasing fish. Especially Steelhead, since they can return  back to the Ocean and come back to spawn hopefully the following year.  Don't let some of the feed back  though deter you from braving the cold to get some  more
Winter Steel.

fishiotherapist

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 06:27:17 PM »

Thanks guys for all the inputs.
Being a newbie I still have lots of things to learn about fishing especially carefully releasing the fish-I just started fishing last summer during the pink salmon run.
Again many thanks for the pointers.

Fishiotherapist

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 06:32:11 PM »

That is a beautiful specimen, but it does look a bit bashed up, so next time, please be careful.

Regular nylon and cotton nets are not kind to fish, unless you are using a rubberized catch and release net. I'm not sure what kind you have.

And a warning, there are anglers out there who consider steelhead to be a species worth messing someone up over if they are mistreated... But as you go on you will learn...

They are certainly no chum let me tell you, totally different class of fish ;)

Congrats!
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 06:46:20 PM »

People have been very quick to point out his mistakes but I don't think Fishio has been bashed on. Fishio, a good rule of thumb is  dont net a fish which is to be release.  Looks like you have waders on...I would have handed my rod to my buddy, steppped in to the water and tailed the fish.  When my buddy has the camera ready, i would lift it out, snap a quick pick and then revive/release.  After battling a fish in, having it out of the water is like holding your breath after a 200 yard dash...not to good for you or the fish. 

Sounds like your learning so hopefully next time you be better prepared.

PS - fish are tough, I dont know if that encounter killed that fsh but you never want to risk it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 07:08:59 PM »

Nice fish Fishiotherapist, congratulation on your fish steelhead and thanks to those for mentioning some pointers on how fish of all species should be handled at all times.

Fishiotherapist has accepted them graciously and that is the important thing.
I know when I started steelhead fishing many years ago I made handling mistakes as well.

As far as blood on the hands go I believe that is pro cure from his pro cured shrimp, my hands look like that often as many know by looking at my reel and my fishing rod's handle. ;D ;D

I hope your next steelhead will be a hatchery fish, I am sure you are now hooked on steelhead fishing, once again well done and keep the reports coming, you now have me enthused about my next trip out. ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 07:22:43 PM »

Thanks very much.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 07:29:09 PM by chris gadsden »

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 07:27:30 PM »

nice fish.