Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What would you have done?  (Read 9745 times)

RVT

What would you have done?
« on: December 28, 2007, 12:25:18 PM »

First of all , Merry Christmas and a happy New Year. On Christmas Eve my son and I  stopped in at one of the local tackle shops to pick up a few things.  After browsing around we did our traditional stop and sigh in front of the Sage rod rack. My son picked up the 3106CP rod and fondled it lovingly. Suddenly, he blurted"HOLY S***T, look at the price on this thing." The tag said $259.95. First I thought it had to be a mistake, then I thought it might be a sale price (50% off a $520 rod would be about $260.) When I took it to the counter the clerk said there was no G.D. way he would sell me that rod for that price. This is the same clerk who a few years ago told my then 14 year old son that he had learned a valuable life lesson about inferior products when the center pin reel that he had recommended, and sold him  turned out to be a piece of junk.  To make a short story long, would I have been out of line to demand that he honour the sticker price?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 02:14:40 PM by Rodney »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: What would you have done?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 01:04:19 PM »

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 01:25:24 PM »

Tough one to call. It could be a honest mistake by the clerk. I wonder if anyone else offer to buy that rod at that price.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 02:15:23 PM by Rodney »

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 01:36:54 PM »

If the item is tagged with the wrong price, it should be sold at that price. I don’t know if that’s law or not but every instance I have encountered, the shop/store has honored the mistake. Just happened to me in Tulalip Wa. on Boxing Day.

The onus is on the shop to have things appropriately priced.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 02:15:56 PM by Rodney »
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 01:40:42 PM »

Tough one to call. It could be a honest mistake by the clerk. I wonder if anyone else offer to buy that rod at that price.

Being the shops mistake, they should bite the bullet and sell the rod for the price marked, and be a REPUTABLE shop that they claim to be.

I would agree.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 02:17:09 PM by Rodney »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 02:21:19 PM »

I know of a similar situation.  The old castaway tackle in north van had a guy who was coming into the shop every X days and paying down a $400 or $500 center pin.  This was a set up between the owner/operator of the shop and a friend.  Anyhow, every time he would make a payment, the owner scratch a line thru the price and write down the new total.  He needed to be away from the shop one day and he had a buddy watch the shop...wouldn't you know it, someone walks in and says how much is that center pin, the guy not knowing any better picks it up and see a price tag with several scratched out prices on it bringing it down to $225 so he eagerly snapped it up. 

That caused quite a S**T storm as you can imagine, but the key is that the product made it out the front door due to the ignorance of the shop keeper's fill in.  Ya sure I would stand at the til with that rod in my hand and made as much of of fuss as possible in order to get that rod but really I can't blame a private business man for not honoring a OBVIOUS mistake in his pricing.

Let me ask you this (and I have done it before), at the atm depositing a check, have you mistakenly put in the too little, lets say $1000 instead of $1100?  Ghost Fish and RVT, do you think they should consider keeping the difference because of your mistake - ha ya right as if!

BTW, when I did just that, I got a notice from my bank telling me that my deposit was 17 cents more than what I punched in so they credited it back to my account.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 03:51:49 PM »

So say an employee was marking these items. Its the owners fault? So lets say the owner gives you that price and says to you the difference will come out of that employees paycheck. Are you still going to take that discount from a guy making $9/hr? C'mon its an honest mistake and people are human. I wouldnt make him bite the cost from an honest mistake.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

hotrod

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 04:30:07 PM »

I think the honor system would apply in this case! I wouldn't have abandoned that so I could get a deal. It was no doubt a mistake. You should have just bought it instead of pointing it out! just kidding!

Hotrod

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 04:48:26 PM »

On the price tag, does it just show price? or is there item number/name/code?

allwaysfishin

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 05:01:57 PM »

similar thing happened at a shop i worked at a few years back. The computer system is set up in such a way that when an item was received, the computer did all the calculations for cost versus margin and another little machine spits out a label with the new price. An error in receiving can cause a mistake like this if the landed cost is inputted incorrectly.... the system does not know any better and sets the new price as per the preset margin for that product. Floor staff should catch this type of mistake... but sometimes they do not. AND it would be illegal for an employer to "take it from his paycheck" as was mentioned above.
The boss (let's call him berry  ;) )........ honoured the sticker price..... but explained to the "regular" customer that he just got the deal of his life......
a tackle shop's reputation is more important than losing a few bucks on a sale.
some customers will be understanding.... some will not...... and it's up to the shop owner if he thinks his  reputation will be on the line by refusing the sale.
a tough one for sure.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 05:05:49 PM by allwaysfishin »

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 05:03:16 PM »

I've had customers switch price tags on me and want me to honor their version of the price. Think I'll do it, not bloody likely! But I never question the customer either, because I can't be sure it was them or the last person who looked at the rods.

If I were in your shoes I would have attempted to buy it but not been forceful about it. Maybe made a joke about making sure things are priced right.

(when i say switch price tags i mean they peel the price sticker off from something less expensive and place it on or overtop of the pricetag on the item they want. It's easy to tell because the price sticker will lose its adhesion and tend to peel.)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 05:06:27 PM by DionJL »

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 05:05:50 PM »

Personally, if they didn't honor the price, I'd go to the States.  Prices on hard gear in Washington are about half the price as BC prices.  I know the speal on buying locally and typically agree, but when you are being raped, I throw it all out the window and go with the lowest price. 

allwaysfishin

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 05:20:12 PM »

most of the well established tackle shops pre book most of thier product months in advance and have no doubt booked at wholesale prices that do not reflect the current canadian dollar.
Untill canadian wholesalers offer some form of wholesale pricing rebate that reflects the dollar.... I doubt pricing at the retail level will adjust for months to come. With the exception of the chain stores tackle departments.
Many folks are searching for deals outside canada...... and with a charter season that is shaping up to be a very busy one for me........ I too have considered shopping where my dollar has the most buying power, and I'm sure i'm not alone.

RVT

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 06:10:34 PM »

To clarify guys, I'm not an idiot, I do know the "SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE" of most of the tackle I buy, and have for the most part been happy dealing with this shop.If you want to insinuate that I may have changed price tags, when others say they saw it is ridiculous. Those rods are 5 feet from the front counter. I didn't make a big stink about it and I told the owner that he better change the price. BUT, if I had been a neophyte steelheader, with a law degree, how do you think this would have ended?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 02:10:26 PM by Rodney »

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 06:18:27 PM »

Personally, if they didn't honor the price, I'd go to the States.  Prices on hard gear in Washington are about half the price as BC prices.  I know the speal on buying locally and typically agree, but when you are being raped, I throw it all out the window and go with the lowest price. 

nice insight !support
hardware == fish