Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Oct 5  (Read 13809 times)

gman

Vedder Oct 5
« on: October 05, 2007, 05:16:52 PM »

FishOn and I went to the Vedder today - my second time this year and his first. We started off at first light at a lower river spot I had decent results at last week. The higher water had changed this spot, and it did not seem safe to wade to the "hotspot" from last week. We tried other spots in the area for a couple of hours and got nothing.

So we decided to go to another spot further up that we have fished in past years. Got there and were surprised that the river had changed so much. But we were happy to see that there was nobody else there, the area looked very fishable, there were fish showing, and they looked like coho! Both of use decided to try colorado blades under a float. If did not take long and fish on - for both of us - doubleheader!  :D Turned out to be two nice hatchery coho.

We kept fishing and got some more. Heres a picture.

Seems like there is more coho around this year!  :D

« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 05:53:57 PM by gman »

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Vedder Oct 5
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 05:22:24 PM »

Right on!!! Did u hit those on the upper river??
weeeeeeeeeow!

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 06:16:49 PM »

Hey nice fish guys.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 06:28:03 PM »

Niiiice pictures!!  Gooey and I got out today as well, we had good results also. We each landed a coho, mine was wild and his was a hatchery. There were also lots of spring jacks, we kept a few of the nicest. Gooey had fun with a small spot full of jacks, he'll probably post about it later. Nice weather and fewer people.

The meat hole in the canal that the flossers love is now much higher so the springs are not stacking there. As Gooey and I hooked a lot of fish, the long liners got nothing. Unlike last week.

Good luck to those fortunate enough to stay here and fish.  I have to go to kelowna. Bummer. :(
Fish on!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 06:40:02 PM »

Niiiice pictures!!  Gooey and I got out today as well, we had good results also. We each landed a coho, mine was wild and his was a hatchery. There were also lots of spring jacks, we kept a few of the nicest. Gooey had fun with a small spot full of jacks, he'll probably post about it later. Nice weather and fewer people.

The meat hole in the canal that the flossers love is now much higher so the springs are not stacking there. As Gooey and I hooked a lot of fish, the long liners got nothing. Unlike last week.

Good luck to those fortunate enough to stay here and fish.  I have to go to kelowna. Bummer. :(

Whats wrong with Kelowna? The lakes arent frozen you could hit some lakes as the fish are feeding heavy for the winter right now.

I got this nice one last weekend

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 06:56:39 PM »

Nice fish fellas, and yes there does seem to be a fair number of coho in the Vedder this year. Was also able to get out on the Lower Vedder to do a few hours fishing. Water definitely up but very fishable. Anyhow did some short floating but my timing was off and I missed two good hits on the roe.  After no more hits while  short floating, started doing some flyfishing. Went back to the spot I got the good hits, and lo and behold I was rewarded. A good strike and line screaming off the reel. and after a spirited five minute battle I had a hatchery coho to shore.  I was using a clouser minnow for the fly and a sink tip line. Hopefully Rod can post the pic, I sent him. But if not, I do have witnesses, as when I get ready to leave, who do I run into but two other members off this site, Nuggy and Testo.  Showed them my catch, and I was on my way.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 10:53:23 PM by dennyman »

CohoOn!

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 07:02:16 PM »

Nice to see everyone doing so well this year. :)
Have to say it's shaping up to be a banner year for coho and jacks. Had two of each last week's trip and between myself and a bud today we had 7 chrome coho with three being hatch bucks.
Water was perfect and we got them all in spots where there was absolutely no one else around. They're all through the system right now and the secret is to find the slower water and chuck spoons and not small stuff. We were nailing them on #5 Blue Foxes silver/pink or gold. Approach the water carefully as once they're spooked they're gone. We most often caught them within the first couple of casts and then that was it for that hole and we'd move on.
I tried some good quality roe again and again today with no results.
We're back at it in the mornin.
Good luck!

Long May Yer Big Jib Draw!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 07:12:03 PM »

Awesome.  Really niced sized Coho's as well.  :o  I just finished making up some more Colorados so I guess I just might get to put them to some use tomorrow.  Thanks for making up my mind for me on whether I was going to go out in the morning. ;D 
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 07:41:02 PM »

CohoOn, I have to disagree...witht he current water conditions, these fish are all really aggrssive.  Obviously not spooking a hole is the ideal but the hit I go was on  a spoon 3 feet from shore and I had 4 guys above me and maybe 15 below me!  As BP indicated, it was awesome to pull fish from under neigth the flossers noses...both on float and casting gear!

I hit a pocket of spring jacks too....I released 5 fish, bonked one, snap one off and long line released 3 or 4.  All in the space of 1 hr! it was a blast, I held back on my drift and you could feel the jacks come up and chew on the bait...it was really fun feeling the take, followed by a big hook set and a tough tussel (I was fishing a pool on the edge of a fast seem).

All in all it was a great day although we didnt hit as many coho as we would have liked.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 08:01:27 PM »

In a visit to Tamahi Rapids today they sure were pulling in some nice coho  ???. some bigger than I have ever caught in 25 years or more on the Vedder, most of course were caught outside of the mouth. Some sure have this way of bringing in a fish down pat. :(

Some of the worse fishing practices and abuse of fish that I have ever seen. :-[

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 08:08:03 PM »

I guess now Tamahi Bridge=Keith wilson Rd bridge  :'(

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 08:12:14 PM »

yeah i walked through that gong show just to see what was going on. guys dredging bottom and fishing the rapids and flossing, you name it and it was going on. Also saw chris drive past the bridge so i waved.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 08:42:18 PM »

Too nice a day not to go fishing. I hit the river below Lickman parking lot. Lots of Pinks around and some unholy amounts of people fishing, should be a gong show for the weekend. Caught lots of Pinks and had a good scrap with a hefty Chinook that finally broke my 10 lb line. Lost one other and no Coho.

Hump backed Pink

Unfortunately my luck also brought out one of the Beeks, that will walk right into where your casting, hoping to snag a fish with their long leader.

Hemorrhoid

Fish were spooked from the shallow water easily so stay back caught most on small brass lures.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

rymack

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 08:57:52 PM »

hit the river today and walked down from lickman. This was the first time i've been to the vedder since i was a youngster. I was so disgusted by what i saw at some parts of the river i don't know that I will be back. walked down to the train bridge and saw people snagging fish after fish.  some people were keeping pinks that  were barely alive. My question is if your that desperate for salmon why not head down to save on and pick up a frozen whole pink for 5 bux ? but i digress..

eventually headed u to allison .  Saw another guy trying to snag fish with about 3 ounces of lead on his line! I started talking to him and he said he had been there for about 2 hours with nothing to show for his efforts. Took me about 10 minutes to hook into a wild coho on a croc spoon . Fish was released without time for a picture, Headed home shortly after that.

it was a brilliant day to be out fishing . sun was shining , water was beautiful and the scenery ( in the upper river) was beautiful.

CohoOn!

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 09:23:20 PM »

There's miles and miles and miles of river with not an idiot to be found. Break out the walking shoes. And using the Blue Foxes today we didn't have one foul hooked fish nor had to waste any time with any pink boots. :)

Long May Yer Big Jib Draw!