Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Oct 5  (Read 13814 times)

rymack

• I'm a llama!
Re: Vedder Oct 5
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 09:43:10 PM »

thats what i ended up doing. I don't really know the river well enough i suppose. I think my mistake was staring down towards the lickman area. point taken though

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 09:45:57 PM »

Niiiice pictures!!  Gooey and I got out today as well, we had good results also. We each landed a coho, mine was wild and his was a hatchery. There were also lots of spring jacks, we kept a few of the nicest. Gooey had fun with a small spot full of jacks, he'll probably post about it later. Nice weather and fewer people.

The meat hole in the canal that the flossers love is now much higher so the springs are not stacking there. As Gooey and I hooked a lot of fish, the long liners got nothing. Unlike last week.

Good luck to those fortunate enough to stay here and fish.  I have to go to kelowna. Bummer. :(

Whats wrong with Kelowna? The lakes arent frozen you could hit some lakes as the fish are feeding heavy for the winter right now.

I got this nice one last weekend

Sorry man, K towns ok, but I'd rather be here with the big boys.
Fish on!

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 09:51:19 PM »

I'm looking forward to it, gonna fish it hard tomorrow, first time this season... We'll see about sunday/monday...

I've been waiting for two weeks, as I've been stuck in Tdot, but man am I ready, been tying for days!

I guarantee you'll never find me  8)

I'll report Monday... Good luck everyone.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2007, 01:32:28 AM »

Nice fish fellas, and yes there does seem to be a fair number of coho in the Vedder this year. Was also able to get out on the Lower Vedder to do a few hours fishing. Water definitely up but very fishable. Anyhow did some short floating but my timing was off and I missed two good hits on the roe.  After no more hits while  short floating, started doing some flyfishing. Went back to the spot I got the good hits, and lo and behold I was rewarded. A good strike and line screaming off the reel. and after a spirited five minute battle I had a hatchery coho to shore.  I was using a clouser minnow for the fly and a sink tip line. Hopefully Rod can post the pic, I sent him. But if not, I do have witnesses, as when I get ready to leave, who do I run into but two other members off this site, Nuggy and Testo.  Showed them my catch, and I was on my way.

yeah nice fish denny on the fly
hardware == fish

mmmroe

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2007, 10:32:28 AM »

NICE FISH GMAN!! GOOD JOB!!! I fished the vedder yesterday too...Nice meet you rod! "LOL" the fish got the best of you yesterday still sleepy???  :D  :D....happens to all of us....dont worry no coho after you guys left but we did hit 10+ whiteys...killed one massive does with more importantly MASSIVE SKEINS OF ROE ;D   ;D here's a few pics.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2007, 11:51:06 AM »

nice lookin spring mmmmroe....almost as chrome as that pink you got at cates ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2007, 12:04:09 PM »

Nice meet you rod! "LOL" the fish got the best of you yesterday still sleepy???  :D  :D

Nice to meet you too. ;) Those poor hooksets you witnessed, that's pretty much a normal sight when fishing around me... ;D ::) I was definitely too slow on the take yesterday morning.

Anyway, we fished until dark, story to come. ;D

buck

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2007, 02:49:11 PM »

Fished the brailer hole today at the hatchery. 3500 coho, 400 spring, 1200 spring jacks, no chum and a few pinks.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2007, 03:50:14 PM »

What method of angling did you use to catch so many? ;D ;D Maybe a brailer? Did you inform B. that a few old timers would like some too. ;D ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Chilliwack River October 5th, 2007
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2007, 06:51:56 PM »

Nice fish gman and fishon. ;) Don't lie, those were caught on the juicy and stinky goodies in those funny looking boxes around your waists weren't they? ;D Good to see hardwares also worked for you two. ;)

Luke showed up at my place yesterday at 5:00am and we ventured out as well to take advantage of the limited good water condition. Knowing that the timing was right, we had pretty high expectations since we were able to get into almost two dozen coho salmon on October 6th 2004. :)

Our morning started with a surprise. While driving along the dark, foggy Chilliwack Lake Road, I saw two slow-moving shadows on the road ahead of us. I said, "What's that?" and turned on the high beams and two young black bears appeared in front of us. One must be a newborn cub while the other one looked to be a one-year old. The sighting only lasted a few seconds before both disappeared in the bush, where the mother bear probably was in. We felt lucky to have this rare sighting but were worried about their future and safety as the cars have a tendency to roam on the Chilliwack Lake Road way above the speed limit.

We began our coho hunt at a pretty secluded spot in the mid river. The river was higher than I expected, but fishable for sure. Thick fog slowly dissipated on the surface. Meanwhile, the float darted in and out of the mist at times, just waiting for it to dive. A dozen drifts had gone by, no takers yet. I decided to move a bit further up on the run, and within a couple of casts the float dive came, but a miss. ::) The following cast, a fish grabbed it at the end of the drift. It dove and surfaced once before falling off the hook. Chrome but rather big, it looked to be a chinook salmon. A few more misses, two people appeared behind me. "Fishing with Rod, what's going on man?", said mmmroe. ;) The four of us fished hard for the next two hours, but with only a few chinook salmon to show. Disappointed by the absence of coho salmon, I gave Chris a call to see if they were doing better in the lower section of the river. "Nothing", he said "We're actually on our way up to you."

"Don't do that! No fish here...", I quickly warned him.

We then decided to give another spot where Chris reckoned some coho might be sitting, so Luke and I parted with mmmroe and friend (sorry, forgot to catch your name, how rude of me).

A pink salmon at its finally stage.

We met up with Lew first, who was already observing fishermen on the flow. Chris was no where to be found, probably busy answering phone calls we thought. ;) He eventually showed up, and we headed to a small side channel. Lew and Chris fished on one side while we fished on the other side of this channel. Upon our arrival, I made one quick cast toward the fishy looking log jam with my spoon. It sank and fluttered, within a couple of reel turns a good take made me set the hook hard. A coho broke out on the surface. :D I played it carefully as it darted downstream. It wasn't particularly big, but a fresh beauty. I gradually worked it to a slow slot where the slope is not as steep. A quick look for the adipose fin showed nothing, it was a hatchery fish! :D I slid it up the beach and pushed it up a bit more with my hand. Just when I kneeled down to grab its tail, it flopped a couple of times and tumbled back into the drink! With the lure still in its mouth, I frantically got up and played the fish a few more seconds before the dreadful pop! :'( Shocked by what just happened, I stomped my feet and screamed while Luke gave me the "I can't believe you just did that" look. I looked across the channel, Lew was chuckling after witnessing the entire event. :-\ Deflated, I sat down and replayed the entire thing in the head. Chris worked his way down the channel and while looking away, his float dove and a jack chinook was swimming away with his hook. Chris played it to shore with ease and landed the first fish of the day between the four of us.

After lunch with the boys, Luke and I headed to the Boulder Run area to take a look at the crowd and try out luck in the pocket waters. Luke connected with one fish on the first drift but quickly lost it. We spent the next hour or so looking for fish hiding behind rocks. Luke lost one more fish while I was only able to trigger a few salmon to chase my spoon. The current was just a bit too fast for the spoon to stay in the water longer, otherwise these chasers would have been connected. All were not lost, I managed to pick up 8 foam floats along the rocky trek. ;D

By 3:00pm, we were starting to lose momentum yet still wanted to get those silvers. We headed to the mid river spot where I lost a coho last Thursday. I continued working with the spoon while Luke drifted with roe. After about ten minutes of trying, I hooked yet another coho, which fell off after one leap! ::)

We decided that the higher water had made the run rather shallow, so we moved back to the side channel for the last light bite. After searching for about 10 hours, we were now quite exhausted but hopeful. On our way there, the Leaf Mobil went by. Chris was probably thinking, "These two are still at it??" :D He stopped and handed me a back of chum roe that he picked up around the Tamahi area. Thanks. ;)

We arrived at the side channel one hour before dark and found ourselves surrounded by many rising coho and no anglers in sight! :) Suddenly the energy kicked in again and we were ready. I sent my spoon out and again a coho grabbed it on the first cast! :D This time I played it even more carefully. It eventually came to the beach. The absence of adipose fin got me even more excited and I pushed the fish way up on dry land just to make sure. ::) Finally, a hatchery coho salmon around 8lb was brought on the beach, persistence (or some may call it stupidity) does pay off I guess. ;)

Seeing how many fish the spoon had produced, Luke quickly changed to one of my spoons too. I started bleeding my fish while he sent the spoon out just a bit downstream from where my fish was caught. "Fish on!" I heard and Luke was chasing the feisty one down the channel. :D He brought it in eventually and it was a hatchery female coho salmon, even larger than mine! :o ;D I slid it up the dry bank for him. He was extremely cheerful, as he should be after being blanked for over ten hours. ;)

Silvers continued to roll on the surface. Hardwares stopped producing so I rigged the float up again. After sending a big piece of red dyed pink roe out a few times, the float dove but again I was looking elsewhere. ::) I only realized that a fish was on when it pulled the rod down. It was a big coho, the silver flashes appeared deep down before it popped off as well. :-\

We worked the run for 30 more minutes before darkness creeped over us. We arrived home at 9:00pm. 16 hours, 2 coho salmon, a few exciting losses, yet another trip to be remembered. :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2007, 07:47:53 PM »

Nicely done, glad I can keep finding the hot spots for you ;D ;D, The Bell, The Log, and now the Twin Cedars. ;D

What is a back of chum roe that you mentioned? ??? Also are you now after my floats, next you will be after bottles and tins. ;D

Thanks to you and Luke for lunch, a special day once again, being out with Lew on his birthday but he did not receive his birthday present of a fish. The first time in 4 trip he was blanked.

Good to see a good number of coho around this season as I picked up another hatchery today giving me 7 on the season, 5 hatchery - 2 unclipped more than I caught the previous 2 years.
I must down size my Maple Leaf Drennan as the bites in the fairly slow flow today were so slight by the time I reacted they had let it go, missed at least 6 today.  :(

Sorry to see the rain falling now as tomorrow may be a washout. If we also get mild weather it will bring the early snow down.

PS It was good to meet armytruck today as well as his friend which I apologize for forgetting his handle. I was picking up the bottles, tins and garbage in the dark when they drove in, ??? ::) :-X I guess they saw the glowing Maple Leaf hat in the dark. ;D We had a nice chin wag too. Hope you got some fish fellows and had a enjoyable outing.

Once again Rodney nice fish for you and Luke yesterday. ;D

Sinaran

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2007, 08:01:28 PM »

drool.......! 
i am like so tempted to go again this coming monday! 
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2007, 08:29:26 PM »

Nice minnows there Rodney ;) :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2007, 08:35:57 PM »

Nice minnows there Rodney ;) :)

Looks like it is from Tamahi Rapids. ;D ;D ;D