Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Specifically, will the closure of the fraser mean your wont get a sports fishing liscence and lets assume this is a trend ie the fraser will be shut to the sports sector all of 2008 as well.?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Will the sports fishing closure on the fraser affect your fishing habits?  (Read 9275 times)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures

A refreshingly honest and frank statement around here ::)

Athezone

• Old Timer

The closure will have very little effect on my fishing habits as there is always the ocean, the Vedder, the Squamish, Chehalis, the Thompson to mention a few as well as a gazillion lakes to fish. I did enjoy my time bbing as do all my friends who fish and most of the guys I work with on site also bb. One fellow caught 96LBS of springs just last weekend alone. All this crying and boohooing over our resource about something that is LEGAL while the big nets sweep away. Funniest thing of all is that these bar fishing special interest groups did'nt even get a shot at their boring little sport because they kept their lips flapping about all those bad people doing those bad things that just happen to be LEGAL until dfo decided, these guys just make it far to easy for us. Shut it all down. Quite hilarious really. All I know is that I've had a great time so far this season, caught way to many springs, enjoyed good times with the boys and if they never open the Fraser again, no big deal, won't affect me at all. Oh by the way, just thought I'd mention to those people who say that bbers are the least experienced and only do it for the harvest of meat, RIGHT :D ;) :D. I've been fishing for 40 of my 51 years and I'd say I have one or two tricks up my sleeve and as for the harvest part of it. I don't eat fish, yuck, well not to often anyway. My wife does try to get me to try more but I've never liked the taste. I always give away my fish. Canned a hundred jars of salmon last year and I only ate 4, but they do make great gifts. Also gave away many, many spring and sockeye fillets as I know most people don't like bones so I always fillet the fish. Well I've got to prepare for a week up to the Thompson and Hundred Mile area so I shall bid you adeau. A final word. Go ahead and close down bbing dfo it won't bother me one bit, I only do it for the good times we have together, the thrill of a 30 or 40 LBER peeling your line out as it goes with the current and for the pics. Love the pics. But I can still do all that from a boat in the ocean. One thing closing it down will do is hurt the retailers and local economies, it will not, and I repeat will not save the sockeye. But have at it. Oh,Oh, I see a herd of pirhanna heading my way, time to fire up the old engine and exit, stage left. Byyyeee.     

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics

johnny and gooey you need to stop tootin' on your own horns.  you both admit to bb for sockeye during openings, so does that make you lazy?  i for one have enticed them to bite while short floating and a flyfisher friend of mine have caught them using krill patterns while fishing the harrison....success rate was obviously lower than the bbser's, but the bottom line is you can entice them to bite.

yes, there are alot of poor attitudes out on the river, but the last thing you want is to come across arrogant where you put people in a defensive posture. once you do that, they stop listening.
I think you miss the point. Sockeye fishing = HARVEST(not "sportfishing"). For me it is only about gathering some meat for the freezer, canner and smoker. Sockeye tastes good, and the most efficient way to get my fish and go home is to floss. It has nothing to do with arrogance, nor am I a staunch advocate for no BB'ing on the fraser.

So you are saying that you would spend gas money to get to your fishing hole, money for your gear, and waste a whole day of your time just to "harvest" fish ??? seems a little silly to me, if it is only about the meat why wouldn't you just buy it ? it would cost you a whole lot less !!
I haven't been out this year BB, bit last year I did and it was a blast, it was a chance to get together with my friends and spend an enjoyable day on the river... plus the chance to battle a few big Springs !!  :)
I really don;t think people just do it for the meat , they do it for the fun of having a Spring on the end of the line, the meat is just a bonus !!
TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Athezone

• Old Timer

You are so right TH, the meat is just a bonus but the real bonus is the great memories and sharing them with friends.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

TH and Athezone, I am with you guys all the way. Meat is only a bonus for a nice day out with friends. By the way, BB for springs is not a lazy game for those of us who have done it for years. It takes skill and analysis any given day you BB for springs. Some days, you will find springs hang in close, some days they are way out. Probably fish from different river systems have different water preference. You need to adapt to water depth  & flow speed with different weights all the time. So, experiences count. How many greenies you know have caught springs consistently? But the good rods know where springs travel or hold out and they are the ones always with one or multiple hook ups in any given day. So BB is a no brainer? Give me a break. Perhaps during peak sockeye run, but not for springs.  ;)

johnny

johnny and gooey you need to stop tootin' on your own horns.  you both admit to bb for sockeye during openings, so does that make you lazy?  i for one have enticed them to bite while short floating and a flyfisher friend of mine have caught them using krill patterns while fishing the harrison....success rate was obviously lower than the bbser's, but the bottom line is you can entice them to bite.

yes, there are alot of poor attitudes out on the river, but the last thing you want is to come across arrogant where you put people in a defensive posture. once you do that, they stop listening.
I think you miss the point. Sockeye fishing = HARVEST(not "sportfishing"). For me it is only about gathering some meat for the freezer, canner and smoker. Sockeye tastes good, and the most efficient way to get my fish and go home is to floss. It has nothing to do with arrogance, nor am I a staunch advocate for no BB'ing on the fraser.

So you are saying that you would spend gas money to get to your fishing hole, money for your gear, and waste a whole day of your time just to "harvest" fish ??? seems a little silly to me, if it is only about the meat why wouldn't you just buy it ? it would cost you a whole lot less !!
I haven't been out this year BB, bit last year I did and it was a blast, it was a chance to get together with my friends and spend an enjoyable day on the river... plus the chance to battle a few big Springs !!  :)
I really don;t think people just do it for the meat , they do it for the fun of having a Spring on the end of the line, the meat is just a bonus !!
TH
Well, given that I live on the river and launch my boat about 1000 yards away from my driveway and fish directly across the river, already have a boat, license, rods etc. it would be MUCH more costly to spend the gas to get to town and then more money to buy the fish at top dollar from a store(would NEVER buy from illegal sources..).. and how can you compare the freshness??

I, too, bar fish and enjoy it emmensly for the same reasons you stated and agree that the catching is a bonus BUT when putting up with the crowds BB'ing, it's all about the meat. Like it or not it's at least an honest answer...

and steelhawk, try to hook those same fish through an enticed bite, under varying conditions, and tell me which takes more "skill". ;)

johnny, who's been known to do both.
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...