Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Specifically, will the closure of the fraser mean your wont get a sports fishing liscence and lets assume this is a trend ie the fraser will be shut to the sports sector all of 2008 as well.?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Will the sports fishing closure on the fraser affect your fishing habits?  (Read 9274 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer

I am curious to see how many people are sitting around waiting for the springs and the socks to show up each year on the fraser.

adriaticum

• Old Timer

No, I've never fished for salmon.
Fraser / Capilano /Vedder are too crowded for me.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Doesn't affect me in the least. Too expensive driving out to the valley and too stressful putting up with the antics of the so called fishermen.

rln

• I'm a llama!

most of the people it will affect are most likely not inernet posters. The large general part of the populations goes out there to be able to retain a fish and eat it. They really don't care about all the bottom bouncing bashing and whatever else that happens on the inertnet. Your question asked here will most likely show the same results. At the fiscal end of this year MoE and DFO will be able to tell by the amount of salmon stamps and fishing license sales sold.

allwaysfishin

save all the money you would spend on corkies, betties, leader, gas, ect. and buy a boat.... and fish the chuck.... that's what i've done and .... there is no salmon lacking in my diet. As a bonus i've got prawns, crab, halibut ect...... I won't miss the sockeye, mind you i did get a dozen or so from Alberni out in the salt.
I'm sure the tackle shops sales of sage 4120s and calcutta reels will drop through the floor.
As for liscences...... I spend hundreds in liscencing every year..... fishing and hunting..... a closure of the fraser makes good sense to me and will NOT have any effect on my fishing behavior.

Ed

• I'm a llama!

Lol i'm too new of a fisher for the fraser to affect me. Right now i'm still trying to catch my first on the cap!

Ed

• I'm a llama!

yeah for sure i've never used baits for the cap. Dew worms are great though for the pier on marine and 15th or 14th. Well i was hoping to get a pink salmon at the cap not really aiming for coho atm.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

Does not affect me one bit. I am fishing 5min from my house on the lower and have not been above the stave on the fraser once this year. I have been able to get all my pink flies done as well as my flies for coho and chum. I have also caught up on a little reading and been able to keep my wife happy by being home more  ;D . The only thing it will affect is where I fish on the other rivers as those will now be full of flossers that would usually stay on the fraser. If you thought that the lower veddar was bad before wait till the gong show shows up. Also wonder how many people will just go into hope and fish the bar above the bridge that extends down from the mouth of the coquihalla river. I guess the best case would be if most of the flossers that usually fish the fraser just don't bother to even pick up the rod this year but I guess this would just be a dream.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Stratocaster

• Old Timer

Does not affect me one bit. I am fishing 5min from my house on the lower and have not been above the stave on the fraser once this year. I have been able to get all my pink flies done as well as my flies for coho and chum. I have also caught up on a little reading and been able to keep my wife happy by being home more  ;D . The only thing it will affect is where I fish on the other rivers as those will now be full of flossers that would usually stay on the fraser. If you thought that the lower veddar was bad before wait till the gong show shows up. Also wonder how many people will just go into hope and fish the bar above the bridge that extends down from the mouth of the coquihalla river. I guess the best case would be if most of the flossers that usually fish the fraser just don't bother to even pick up the rod this year but I guess this would just be a dream.

I wonder myself whether there will be a dramatic increase in the pressure on the Vedder and other rivers.  I know that many people took their holidays during the sockeye season.  Maybe they will be taking their holidays during coho season on the vedder this year?  :-\

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost

people arent going to get there fishin fix in, and now will crownd the vedder. Close the nativs down first, that would be a step

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!

most of the people it will affect are most likely not inernet posters. The large general part of the populations goes out there to be able to retain a fish and eat it. They really don't care about all the bottom bouncing bashing and whatever else that happens on the inertnet. Your question asked here will most likely show the same results. At the fiscal end of this year MoE and DFO will be able to tell by the amount of salmon stamps and fishing license sales sold.

Not necessarily as a lot of people may have bought them in advance.

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!

Don't care too much for BB because it just takes too much energy. Basically, your whole day is wasted when you get home. Too tired to move after getting home. I am waiting for the up coming coho fishing on the Vedder or maybe Pinks and White Spring.

Gooey

• Old Timer

#1 - I expected that most people here wouldnt be affected by the closure...I was just looking to confirm.
#2 - I am not concerned this will impact the vedder fishery.   I think people who wait for socks and wont get to fish them this year will not buy liscences.  I hope this summer fishery being shut down means there are less flossers with liscences come fall.  But thats why I think DFO needs to do more work now to regulate flossing. 

As my other thread indicates, I think its time for some wide sweeping regulation changes like 30 inch leaders max, lets get back to the sport side of sports fishing where it requires some work and dedication to learn how to fish, read water, make good bait, etc...flossing is the lazy fisherman's crutch and its about time we kicked it out from under him!!!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....

I'll just fish the lower Fraser for Pinks and perhaps sturgeon, then I will head out for some early Coho in a couple weeks and hope that there are some decent Coho returns this year.  ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

searun17

• Old Timer

Personally it doesn't affect me at all,its a bloody gong show and if they ever open it up in the future it needs to b e regulated better ,with leader restrictions,and catch quotas ,just to name a couple of ideas.if fish for the freezer is what people want there are enough fishing opps during the course of a year to get more than enough fish for the freezer,all that is required is a license some gear ,and the ability to learn how to actually fish.sorry i told myself i wasn't going to get into this issue this year but oh well i think i will have another beer.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.