Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Specifically, will the closure of the fraser mean your wont get a sports fishing liscence and lets assume this is a trend ie the fraser will be shut to the sports sector all of 2008 as well.?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Will the sports fishing closure on the fraser affect your fishing habits?  (Read 9273 times)

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer

if they ever open it up in the future it needs to b e regulated better ,with leader restrictions,and catch quotas ,just to name a couple of ideas.

You're probably right with that assumption and its a good time to start creating and enforcing regulations accordingly like a quota similar to chinook and/or specific tag for sockeye.

searun17

• Old Timer

As much as i hate to see fishing closures on our waters something had to be done ,if the sockey fishery is to ever exist again in the future there needs to be some changes,what the answers are i don't know but we can regulate all we want but without proper enforcement the regulations mean nothing.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard

As much as i hate to see fishing closures on our waters something had to be done ,if the sockey fishery is to ever exist again in the future there needs to be some changes,what the answers are i don't know but we can regulate all we want but without proper enforcement the regulations mean nothing.

Well said Searun.

Major changes are in order....
weeeeeeeeeow!

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

hell, i live right at the mouth of the fraser. i've got spots at all the point of entries where salmon travel. the only thing i'll miss is the beauty of the fraser valley.

next trip up river will be for coho. 8)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

There are always other fish to catch. Lower Fraser pinks are going to be fun, so is the Seymour pinks, Cap mouth coho, etc. There is always bass to fill in the void. Hell, add carp & crab to that.... Sockeye who?  ;D

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

Was hoping to do a bar trip or two but other than that it wont effect me at all.
Good to see drastic measures in what seams desperate times.
Bring on the Pinks. ;D

johnny

It affects my liveliood drastically.. Many trips canceled even in October from people in the US and over seas not willing to risk the chance it won't be open.. millions being lost in tourism as a result of this irrisponsible POLITICAL decision.

Don't fool yourself, this has NOTHING to do with conservation or what's in the better interest of the sockeye.
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?

No! I did Hurling once that was enough. When I fly fished socks I went to Lillooet or the open sections of the Thompson.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

BwiBwi

• Old Timer

As my other thread indicates, I think its time for some wide sweeping regulation changes like 30 inch leaders max, lets get back to the sport side of sports fishing where it requires some work and dedication to learn how to fish, read water, make good bait, etc...flossing is the lazy fisherman's crutch and its about time we kicked it out from under him!!!

I don't know about you Gooey, but I don't like to sit around and wait for fish, that's why I prefer mooching over trolling.  And as bbing and barfishing, gee it's a bore doing barfishing.  I would prefer to be casting and retreiving, then sitting around.  (I don't see why sitting around and wait is the less lazy way of fishing)  That isn't looking for fish, that's waiting for fish to come to you.  By the way, if you think bbing is no brainer than why only those few on the river are always successful and other's not?  Both bbing and barfishing are same in the sence you can't just cast out into a location and hope for the best.  Both fishing method require the fisher to know the river bottom structure and where different fish specie likes to travel to have consistent success.

Such as last pink season.  So many bbers out at Pegleg trying to catch pinks but they weren't having a lot of success why?  Little did they reallize where they were standing the depth is just right for pinks.  For those that fly fished there before probably would know, you only need to wade knee deep and cast fly 20feet out and you'll be into pinks (top end of Pegleg); there's no need of wading to waist deep for pinks.

So bbing is lazy men's way of fishing?  Not by a long shot.

johnny

As my other thread indicates, I think its time for some wide sweeping regulation changes like 30 inch leaders max, lets get back to the sport side of sports fishing where it requires some work and dedication to learn how to fish, read water, make good bait, etc...flossing is the lazy fisherman's crutch and its about time we kicked it out from under him!!!

I don't know about you Gooey, but I don't like to sit around and wait for fish, that's why I prefer mooching over trolling.  And as bbing and barfishing, gee it's a bore doing barfishing.  I would prefer to be casting and retreiving, then sitting around.  (I don't see why sitting around and wait is the less lazy way of fishing)  That isn't looking for fish, that's waiting for fish to come to you.  By the way, if you think bbing is no brainer than why only those few on the river are always successful and other's not?  Both bbing and barfishing are same in the sence you can't just cast out into a location and hope for the best.  Both fishing method require the fisher to know the river bottom structure and where different fish specie likes to travel to have consistent success.

Such as last pink season.  So many bbers out at Pegleg trying to catch pinks but they weren't having a lot of success why?  Little did they reallize where they were standing the depth is just right for pinks.  For those that fly fished there before probably would know, you only need to wade knee deep and cast fly 20feet out and you'll be into pinks (top end of Pegleg); there's no need of wading to waist deep for pinks.

So bbing is lazy men's way of fishing?  Not by a long shot.
Well, if it's a more active way of fishing you want then why not bait fish creek mouths or chuck spoons? When the clarity is good enough spooon fishing can be quite good in the upper fraser. It's still "selective" fishing.. BB'ing is a lazy man's fishing not because of the ammount of work to cast and retrieve, but the ease in which to intercept a fish accidentally instead of inciting a bite.

johnny, the will BB for sox when they're open but not BB when they're closed guy.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer

Hi Jonny, ya I do chuck spoons.  Like I said, there's nothing easy about BBing. If you don't know what you're doing you can be there casting for days and not getting a fish.

As Cammer said, sall FN wanted was the river to themselves so no observer.  They don't care what fishing method your using.  As before, the excuse 'recreational fishermen interfere with their netting'.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 12:38:33 AM by BwiBwi »

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

Yeup, now that the sporties are out of the bars, the poachers and illegal netting natives can have their fun w/o any one around to report them.  ;D

Gooey

• Old Timer

Johnny had it right, I called flossing lazy as you dont have to work find a fish that is willing to bite, you dont have to work on your presentation, your bait, you dont have to do anything but slap on a weight, a long leader, and cast.  I put my time in, I learn all these things, I studied the trade, paid my dues and now I think its safe to say, I am a very good rod.  The average joe doesnt want to put that much effort in now, they simply want that glory shot holding a big fish.

Entimology, learning the hatches, tying flies to match the hatch, learning how to properly present a fly...things like that are why fly fishing is a reverred a form of fishing as it is.  Bottom bouncing is at the exact opposite end of the spectrum.  Any beak with any level of experience can hook a fish in any river with a bit of current in it...flossing a sock is one thing but the gong shows and long leaders on the cap, vedder, chehalis, etc....they have to go and if you think there is no connection between the sock fishery and flossing everywhere else, then you are a fool.   

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

johnny and gooey you need to stop tootin' on your own horns.  you both admit to bb for sockeye during openings, so does that make you lazy?  i for one have enticed them to bite while short floating and a flyfisher friend of mine have caught them using krill patterns while fishing the harrison....success rate was obviously lower than the bbser's, but the bottom line is you can entice them to bite.

yes, there are alot of poor attitudes out on the river, but the last thing you want is to come across arrogant where you put people in a defensive posture. once you do that, they stop listening.

johnny

johnny and gooey you need to stop tootin' on your own horns.  you both admit to bb for sockeye during openings, so does that make you lazy?  i for one have enticed them to bite while short floating and a flyfisher friend of mine have caught them using krill patterns while fishing the harrison....success rate was obviously lower than the bbser's, but the bottom line is you can entice them to bite.

yes, there are alot of poor attitudes out on the river, but the last thing you want is to come across arrogant where you put people in a defensive posture. once you do that, they stop listening.
I think you miss the point. Sockeye fishing = HARVEST(not "sportfishing"). For me it is only about gathering some meat for the freezer, canner and smoker. Sockeye tastes good, and the most efficient way to get my fish and go home is to floss. It has nothing to do with arrogance, nor am I a staunch advocate for no BB'ing on the fraser.