Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Commercial Fishing on the Fraser River?  (Read 6750 times)

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
Commercial Fishing on the Fraser River?
« on: July 08, 2007, 09:03:36 PM »

I drive to work from Maple Ridge to Mission and noticed that boats are out there with their nets. Not many boats but you can actually see the nets and the red buoy floating behind the boats.

I thought DFO was concern about the early Sockeye run. What is the point of telling people to practice selective methods of fishing while someone else is using "NETS" to fish?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Commercial Fishing on the Fraser River?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 09:05:21 PM »

Don't think it's the commercial guys. It's probably First Nations.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 09:33:52 PM »

Yes it is First Nations.. the were all over the place today

Well there goes the early Stuart sockeye run but I'm sure DFO knows what they're doing  :-X

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 10:43:14 PM »

Well there goes the early Stuart sockeye run but I'm sure DFO knows what they're doing  :-X
Using 8 inch mesh but I am sure it takes socks too. I wonder if FOC has monitors on the boats to see how many they are taking. Here's a challenge for someone. Find out how many sockeye are taken in this fishery. I could try but going fishing so will let someone else do the investigating. ;D ;D

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 12:05:16 AM »

I bet they killed many many many more sockeyes (even unintentionally) with their nets now than the accidental hook ups and release of sockeye by all sporties. At least I have not seen one sockeye hooked by any body where I fished. This is where the hypocrisy lies. Bonk the sporties without real statistics to back it up, and yet let the natives kill the fish they are trying to conserve. Stop all groups if conservation is a concern. Native fishery does not come before conservation concern.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 07:08:31 AM »

Last Thursday had a lively and somewhat animated discussion (debate) with a fisheries officer on this same subject.Same adament b.s.about 8 inch mesh.No sockeye retention.I asked if they know for sure these fish were being released.They can't check all the boats ,she said.I told her I know the rcmp had seized many smal mesh nets in the past.The truth is much of this harvest has always been sold.I said this week I would be happy to take her to grocery stores and pubs this week where she could purchase  fresh sockey.I well remember the scene of fisheries officers being assaulted a few years ago trying to enforce the law on the Faser.The fact is our politicians condone this illegal activity all the while talking about how conservation comes first.Yesterday my local supermarket had fresh sockeye,but I suppose that was brought in from some exotic locale way up north!If you believe that I have a bridge I would like to sell you.
Riverman

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 07:18:58 AM »

Is there any coincidence that Save-On Foods is highlighting fresh wild Sockeye this Salmon Extravaganza week.

Sandhead

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 07:41:25 AM »

Copper River Sockeye is available at costco....
Ain't no HO like a COHO

nosey

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 11:07:28 AM »

Lots of accusations flying here with very little proof. For one thing if the FNs are using 8" web they are following the selective fishing guidelines set out to them by the DFO,which is better than some other user groups on the river, and with that big web the fish will not be snagged by the gills if they are caught but will become tangled in the net with the possibility of a quick release if drift fishing and not set netting.
    The natives have a constitutional right to first opportunity to any run of salmon in the Fraser River, it doesn't seem fair to me but I am Canadian and I will abide by the constitution of my country, sorry life just ain't fair.
     Every time we have a high profile court case involving fish and wildlife and natives in BC and the natives win on constitutional grounds the laws then change in their favor. If the C.O's keep  going to court with charges that don't stick it will end up so there will be no hunting or fishing in B.C. by any  group except the FN.
    The rest of Canada signed treaties with the first nations peoples over 100 years ago while the governments of B.C. were too racist and arrogant to do so, so what we have here is a province where the fish and wildlife rights of the natives are not fully defined or written in law and we should be really carefull with the cases that do go to court because once these rights are fully defined there are going to be big changes in the way wildlife management is dealt with here in B.C.
    As sport fishers we have a large problem of poaching and disregard for the DFO conservation requests made of us here in B.C. and we should be working to clean up our own image rather than pointing fingers at other user groups. If we disregard requests made to us by the DFO we have no credibilty whatsoever and hense forth we will be forever relegated to whistleing in the wind with no one listening and no one caring what we say.
    If you want to stop illegal sales of fish go after the buyers, follow those fish to there destination and charge the people buying them, they do not have constitutional rights to illegally buy fish, this is not just a door to door operation this is commercial packing houses, restaurants and canneries buying these fish and the markets could be shut down easily.
    Sure hope I don't have to change my name after this post.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 12:57:26 PM »

I know this will never happen.. but why can't we all just live as Canadians without Race dividing us ?? why can't we all just live by the same set of guidelines ??  First Nations have their own reserves and fishing locales in which we cannot partake or it is called tresspassing !! so why then are First nations allowed everywhere they want without restrictions?? I understand that these are the laws that were developed a long time ago but why were they made in the first place ??? This is one of the things that make me go hmmmmmmm !! ???
TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 05:03:46 PM »

Using 8 inch mesh but I am sure it takes socks too. I wonder if FOC has monitors on the boats to see how many they are taking. Here's a challenge for someone. Find out how many sockeye are taken in this fishery. I could try but going fishing so will let someone else do the investigating. ;D ;D

good idea chris , Fishfreak where did you get your info ?
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

2slow

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 05:17:09 PM »

What really bothers me about the first nations "food fishery" is that it is not food for themselves. It is food for whomever has a few bucks in their jeans and is willing to buy the fish from them. Natives are always spouting off about how they are conservation minded - that in my opinion is complete BS. There was an article in one of the outdoor magazines that featured a page written by a first nations member who was also an ex-CO. One short sentence in his article really brought it to my attention. I believe he was talking about moose hunting. He said something along the lines of "he only takes enough game for himself and his community"........ Pardon me........ If I was allowed to go out and shoot a deer for everyones freezer in my neighborhood how many would we have left after a while -- Zero --- That is going to be what happens to our fishing heritage also. They will be allowed to take as much as they want, when they want, while we stand helpless on the shore knowing full well that our government backs this crap.  End Rant

stlhd4ever

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 06:59:55 PM »

I also know of natives that only take what they will eat but there are certain bands that give all of them a bad name (I'm sure some of you know which ones so I won't mention them) Also there is still a small commercial fishery in the ocean. So it doesn't surprise me that save-on has fresh sockeye
Wishin I was Fishin

nosey

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 12:22:24 PM »

Ok trophyhunter I too understand what you mean by wanting everyone to abide by one law, but that isn't the way it is, it isn't just a matter of law like a speed limit, it is a matter of constitutional rights and they just cannot be changed that easily. As for the property thing I don't quite understand your point, if you put a no tresspassing sign on your property trespassers of any race can be prosecuted, Indian reserves are their private property they have every right to put up no trespassing signs. All of the pipeline bar up here is on Indian reserve including the parking, and the natives are good enough to let hundreds of people fish it every day, whereas at the scales bar a small group of non native residents bitched and whined until the fisheries changed the law so the anglers wouldn't run into conflicts with the land owners. I agree with FishFreak that the actions of some bands are the ones that get the most negative publicity, and every one should not be judged the same. I also find that a lot of people on this forum have absolutely no knowledge of the FN people or the FN fishery whatsoever, automatically assuming that every net they see is an illegal activity going on.
   Many recent court cases in Canada have been held to redress past wrongs to minority groups of people, take for example the payment made to Japanese Canadians held in interment camps during the second world war or the repayment of the head tax charged to Chinese immigrants at the beginning of the last century. Now it has been established that the natives of BC sold fish to the non natives from the time they arrived here but at sometime the commercial fishery became a powerfull political power and large employer of people with canneries up and down the west coast and the river systems right to Kamloops. At this time the natives were a downtrodden people decimated by white mans diseases without the right to vote, raise their own children, follow their own religious beliefs or even speak their own language. So laws were made that made it illegal for them to sell fish with them having no right to appeal at all.
  Now in light of all this does anyone actually believe that there is a judge in Canada that will stand up and say in a court of law and state that these people have been treated fairly. With almost everyone on this forum screaming that there should be more charges laid against the FN people I believe that court cases do not always have the results that please the majority of the people.
   P.S. just cuz I have an opinion doesn't mean I'm always right ;)
Sorry to have ran totally off topic on this thread, I'll try to control myself in the future.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 01:13:08 PM »

My referance to the property trespassing etc was just an example of Races separating themselves instead of just sharing this earth as one !! I know it is something that will probably never happen , and I realize that in places such as Africa it is much much worse... I was just saying what I wish could be  ;)
TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!