Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Commercial Fishing on the Fraser River?  (Read 6751 times)

2slow

Re: Commercial Fishing on the Fraser River?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 04:49:43 PM »

I guess what I have the most problem with is when people say its is another races "right" to be able to abide by different laws than the majority of the population. Through out history cultures and races were displaced by others through wars, population changes etc. Happened all through Europe. My ancestors were displaced and replaced by others. What my ancestors "Rights" were at the time is to become part of the new society and integrate. I believe we should have one set of rules for everyone. As for us paying for the sins of our fathers--Why is it every time an apology is required it needs to be backed up with cash............Lots of things in life I don't understand and one of those things is why do i have to explain to my children that its OK for the folks at the mouth of the cap to dam the river with shopping carts and use modern fishing gear to snag the salmon.

pikey

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 12:44:31 PM »

Allowing one group, based on Race to have special privledges is Racism through and through.

This is the same damn racism that is the biggest taboo in society and would get me hung if I expressed it.

2slow

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 01:47:10 PM »

I disagree  Natives never and I repeat never outnumbered the Caucasians, we had a far larger more advanced (depends on how you look at it) population, they just had not landed on this continent yet My teachers in high school were also part of the same order of "Christians" that enjoyed the abuse that they could deal out (physical not sexual in my case) What was done to the native community was wrong--but I should not have to pay for it- I never did it. All that the separation that you keep trying to have does is create racism. I don't know how many vehicle loads of natives i have come across in the woods while out hunting that return my friendly wave with a dark scowl and sometimes profanity. It is time to bury the past and let it lie, we cant change it but we can learn from it. As long as the native community continues to have an attitude that "Whites owe us" you will never and I repeat never haul yourselves out of the mental trap that your in now. Its time to stand up and follow the lead of very few of your community---find work outside your  community, achieve an education and go out into the world and take what your labors will get you. I am finding that as I get older I am becoming more of a racist and I have to ask myself why? It is because we as a population have been taught that in order for there to be no racism all men should be created/treated equal. Thats not the way it is, all minorities are now treated with kid gloves--case in point if myself and a few of my buddies stood in the middle of the lions gate bridge, put masks on our faces and had rifles slung across our chests what do you think would happen. Well if we were native we could hold that bridge up for days or months-- if we were just a bunch of white guys we would get a free ride that very same day to the city morgue because the ERT teams would have caused the standoff to come to a very quick end............

But this is a fishing forum so this will be my last post on this topic

« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 01:50:25 PM by 2slow »

pikey

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 01:55:30 PM »

"you have no right to say they dont deserve what they get"

Well thank you, but as long as I am respectful and polite I am entitled to my opinion

I respect your right to voice your opinion, I expect the same.

nosey

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 04:50:01 PM »

It doesn't matter whether or not any of it is fair, according to the Canadian constitution the aboriginal people of this country have different rights when it comes to fish and game, the constitution goes deeper than law, it is what our laws are based on.  Australia, New Zealand, the United States and many other progressive countries have the same sort of things to deal with and have dealt with them through legislation, in case you haven't noticed the natives in Washington state get a way larger share of the salmon in their rivers than the ones here do.
    Anyone can rant and rave about these people having more rights than they do but abiding by our constitution is part of being a citizen of Canada and until the aboriginal rights are fully defined by the courts of our land I don't really believe that taking them to court on charges that the DFO has a very hard time proving are actually against the law is very productive.
    Just another point to ponder when the white man first went up the Nass River in the early eighteen hundreds the natives there were living in two story cedar homes that were far superior to anything working class people in Europe were living in at the time.
   Maybe you don't think you should have to pay for past wrongs but  recent court settlements to other minorities have done just that these things all have to be dealt with sooner or later.
   I'm sure that if everyone studied the constitution they could find parts that they personly disagreed with but you have to accept the bad with the good.
   My main point that I was trying to make when I started this was that it's way easier to go after the non native illegal buyers of the fish that have no constitutional protection and are way cheaper to prosecute than it is to go after the fishermen. In a lot of entries on this site I still see a lot of the racism and ignorance that has crippled the governments of BC in dealing with these problems for the last 150 years. In dealing with the natives of BC you are not dealing with an ignorant or uneducated people and they are very well represented in the courts of law, the DFO has been taking them to court for at least three generations and slowly losing ground with every court case they lose. At one time they were charging them with illegally selling fish, now we have sanctioned native commercial fisheries, recently the charge of choice was illegal drift netting now we have legal drift net openings, yet on this site I still hear lots of requests for more charges to be laid against them, I believe the fisheries should be very carefull about picking their battles because whatever the courts decree now will affect the Fraser River fishery for generations to come.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 01:42:37 AM »

It is not just racism in their policy, DFO is bending its back to accomodate this group for fear of stiring up some political tensons or defiant actions by this group. They basically cave in. I never know pepper spray is that mighty powerful.  ;D

That is why some of us non-native fishermen are so upset about DFO's political move to try to nail us with their so called Selective Clause when no sockeyes of any significant numbers are hooked by any body. I can understand if this request comes past July 20 or so. Why June? Hardly any sockeyes to speak of. This just amounts to bullying a user group into submission. Well, if this is not a racist ploy, why not try it on the natives to request them off the river too?  ;D

nosey

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 08:15:17 AM »

The natives are requested to use selective methods, larger web in their nets, it doesn't work 100% but it does help considerably specially with the Stuart River fish which are a smaller fish than the later sockeye. And by the way the show close to full compliance to this. Later in the year before the sockeye sports fishing openings and after the Stuarts are through they will be allowed to use sockeye web again.