Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My selective techniques for June Chinook  (Read 6233 times)

BH123

My selective techniques for June Chinook
« on: June 27, 2007, 12:44:49 PM »

Here are my "selective techniques" for June chinook. This is how I (an knowledgeable angler in a variety of techniques) do it. I am not saying it is the best technique, the right technique or the only technique, but it works for me. This maximizes chinook catches and too date has not caught me 1 early sockeye (over the past 15 years):

1. bottom bouncing with leader lenghs as short as 6 feet and as long as 20 feet
2. select a gravel bar where current is relatively fast
3. fish at the top of the bar; that is where current is fast and chinook hang out; socks like the bottom of the bar
4. cast as far out as possible- that is were the chinook travel; sockeye travel close to shore; this involves heavy weight- at least 4 oz
5. anchor your boat in about 6 feet of water; this increases my casting distance; you will need a heavy anchor in June to stay still
6. cast to a position of 11 o clock and let drift to about 2 o clock; all my chinook are caught in this zone; most socks are caught close to shore; performing this technique will also reduce snagging the bottom and losing leaders this technique is important
7. heavy action rod with 60 lb mainline and 30 lb leader; allows me to bring whatever is on my line in quickly
8. play the fish heavy; helps keep the fish on the line with barbless hooks; if you hook a sock, the hook should pull out as they have extremely soft mouths; when socks are open I will play them very lite to maximize landing ratios
9. Use a larger coacky and at least 5 pieces of yarn; socks don't like large profile lures
10. When your weight hits the water, ensure you reel at least 10 times; this mends out your leader for your short drift = 11 o clock to 2 o clock; this is another important point

These are some other selective techniques which I have not yet used, but will work:

A) if I know socks are in the area or see any being hooked, I would select a different bar; this creates problems for those who do not own a boat; if you have a boat there are many "chinook bars"
B) if I catch a sock, quickly reef it in and release it; I would hope pulling hard would cause the hook to pull out
C) I have a releasing tool which I use on Skeena chinook and socks in August; it is a gaff which has been cut and bent; it allows me to quickly release the fish without touching it
D) shorten my leader if I catch a sock

Hopes this helps some of you. Others will be opposed, but each of us have there own views.

Nuggy

Re: My selective techniques for June Chinook
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 12:53:13 PM »

Wow, in the old days they used to snag fish with a lead weight and triple hook ripping it through the water impaling and shredding anything in the hooks path:o The new method is so subtle and refreshing  but ohhh so selective ::)
Cheers

Nuggy

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 01:27:40 PM »

9. Use a larger coacky and at least 5 pieces of yarn; socks don't like large profile lures

duuuuuude, i hope you know it doesnt matter if you have 10 peices of yarn or 1, THEY DONT BITE........

i just bb like I do every other day 20 foot leader cast in the water, you get more fish in all diffrent species. ;D allows a good day of fishing

« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 01:29:29 PM by cohokid »

Mike D.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 01:45:26 PM »

duuuuuude, i hope you know it doesnt matter if you have 10 peices of yarn or 1, THEY DONT BITE........

i just bb like I do every other day 20 foot leader cast in the water, you get more fish in all diffrent species. ;D allows a good day of fishing

I remember that COHOKID, back in 2005 out in minto flossing when we ripped down the channel in the boat, landed below and fished with you for a couple days lol  ;D biggest gomer I've ever fished beside haha......

How many socks did you get to my 1? like 4 or 5 lol and how many springs did I hook to your 1 ? like 4 to 1 haha  ;D

The good old 4 corky combo worked like a damn, and it wasn't until I drifted in close to shore that I hooked socks..... :-\ .....those were fun days, releasing, socks, pinks and bonking springs day after day after day lol....as one grows older and gains more experience one will relize that flossing isn't the best thing anymore.... :-[

Mike <"))))><

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 01:45:54 PM »

6 foot leaders is still flossing...

You can catch fish on the vedder BBing with 15 inches of leader, and that is with clarity...

I'd say 24 inches of leader max is fine for the fraser, and that is being generous...

Even with bar rigs, we normally rig them with 12-16 inches of leader.

I'm suprised a leader length restriction has not been implemented year round, for all gear types.

I disagree with that chinook out far / socks close to shore idea, it depends on water type as to where the springs will travel.

I've seen springs caught 15 feet from shore on bar rigs.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 02:54:36 PM »

How many socks did you get to my 1? like 4 or 5 lol and how many springs did I hook to your 1 ? like 4 to 1 haha 

no, i only saw u hook one spring, sorry nice try mike, try 1:1 springs. Over all know u hooked 4 to my 1 due to getting out every day, to my once out a week. might want to re fraze that statement

Mike D.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 03:39:44 PM »

Yes, well getting out everyday does have its advantages  ::) more like 7:1 now lol

We were tied that day, it was reely quiet as there was a net opening as we were out there I think...too far away for me to remember lol

Mike <"))))><
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 03:42:07 PM by Mike D. »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 03:56:25 PM »

Thanks for sharing. I'll stick with trolling. :D

river walker

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 04:02:44 PM »

:o  hmmmmm, i could get just as many if not more with a plain red gammie and a 20 foot leader!
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 01:37:10 AM »

BH123, thanks for sharing even though you know the anti gang will bonk you on the head with their venom.  ;D
Some very good point.  On the comment that some springs do come close, that is a true statement, otherwise how do the bar fishers catch the springs. But those of us who want to avoid socs while bbing will rather give up on the near shore springs than to risk hooking the socs. That is our commitment to selective fishing to the best of our ability. The haters can say all they want, but there are many bbers who care about the resources and maintaining the cleaniness of the bars where we fish.  :)

By the way, does any one know if there are land based bars which are accessible now at this water level, by foot I mean? The bar BH123 caught the 2 chinooks seem to be accessible. It looks like Scale Bar in the background.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 01:56:03 AM by Steelhawk »

Mike D.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 11:18:19 AM »

I realize that you guys cast out a long ways and keep your drift out there, but how many sockeye do you guys hook reeling in? If I recall correctly a majority of sockeye are caught on the wind in, not the drift.

Mike <")))><

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 11:31:36 AM »

Wow, in the old days they used to snag fish with a lead weight and triple hook ripping it through the water impaling and shredding anything in the hooks path:o The new method is so subtle and refreshing  but ohhh so selective ::)
Cheers

Nuggy

:D :D ;D ;D :D :D
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Straight Runner

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 10:15:05 PM »

I saw a couple Socks lobbing up river around Number 5 Road Rmd (the South Arm) around 5pm today, 5 hours after low tide. One was huge. They are on the way, the ones that make it past the gill netters and the seal gauntlet.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 10:24:17 PM »

ive seen just as many socks at this time of year hooked bbing as barfishng. when u set the hook u really dont know what u have until it starts to fight.
maybe they should stop the real problem decimating the early that is drift netting
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 11:52:12 AM »

So here we have people now admitting on a public forum that they were snagging Chinnook.
Says enough right there to me that this method should be abbolished from fishing everywhere for everything.
Give the Sox back to the Commies and Natives like it was for years and years.
If guides depend so badly on this joke fishery then they should seriously think of another proffesion because they are just water taxis not fishermen.