Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bar Fishing Made Simple (I hope)  (Read 15634 times)

river walker

Re: Bar Fishing Made Simple (I hope)
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 08:08:43 PM »

mmmmmmmmmm beer!
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

river walker

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 08:27:30 PM »

::) bar fishing is called beer fishing in my boat, it has chairs and a cooler built in! :P
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 09:12:23 PM »

This whole Bar Fishing thing really sounds like unattended set line fishing. I know there were several times last year when we would anchor up at Grassy at the wee hours in the morning while it was still very dark, just to get the spot we wanted, and there would be bar rods already set up and fishing. As the wake would hit the line and rattle the bell the fishermen sleeping in their tents would rush out to see who's got the fish on.

This "selective" method lends itself for such abuse and poaching that it's really not acceptable. Sounds like BS to the bar fishermen doesn't it?

Then you get these bar turkeys that leave there rod holders out there all night much like the a-holds that leave their anchors and bouys out there all night to preserve "their" spot on the river. I've seen this literally everywhere I go on the river - some places much worse than others.

The bar opposite but above Grassy is the worst. (Wellington, I'm told) There is a group of guys that take over that whole bar with their night long rod holders out there all night just so no other boat can go in. And if you try and move in, you get quite a rude welcoming.

PegLeg is precious for guides and their anchored bouys hauling their clients back and forth.

I think this year it's time to start collecting discarded/unattended rod holders, anchor/bouy sets.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 09:27:02 PM »

Mike D.
You da man!

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 10:07:40 PM »

Sounds good Freak. We can sell them back to fishermen who really need them and to those that forget to put their toys away. :D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 10:23:51 PM »

This whole Bar Fishing thing really sounds like unattended set line fishing. I know there were several times last year when we would anchor up at Grassy at the wee hours in the morning while it was still very dark, just to get the spot we wanted, and there would be bar rods already set up and fishing. As the wake would hit the line and rattle the bell the fishermen sleeping in their tents would rush out to see who's got the fish on.

This "selective" method lends itself for such abuse and poaching that it's really not acceptable. Sounds like BS to the bar fishermen doesn't it?

Then you get these bar turkeys that leave there rod holders out there all night much like the a-holds that leave their anchors and bouys out there all night to preserve "their" spot on the river. I've seen this literally everywhere I go on the river - some places much worse than others.

The bar opposite but above Grassy is the worst. (Wellington, I'm told) There is a group of guys that take over that whole bar with their night long rod holders out there all night just so no other boat can go in. And if you try and move in, you get quite a rude welcoming.

PegLeg is precious for guides and their anchored bouys hauling their clients back and forth.

I think this year it's time to start collecting discarded/unattended rod holders, anchor/bouy sets.

I've noticed the same thing. Is leaving rod holders out all night considered ethical ?

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 11:54:53 PM »

No it would not be ethical to leave a  barfishing setup out all night, as that would be fishing during a closed period. And also, set lines, a line left unattended,  is not allowed in Region 2.  These rules are clearly pointed out in the current fishing regulations.

flatlander

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 12:18:13 AM »

Awesome article and great website http://www.ultimatesportfishing.ca

Thanks for sharing with us newbies.  If you're ever fishing out east in Manitoba I'll set you up.