Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon April 18  (Read 1663 times)

Zpg

Sturgeon April 18
« on: April 18, 2007, 08:20:34 PM »

Got on the water today at 6:45. The river had HUGE amounts of debris and the temp had dropped a couple of degrees from last week, no doubt due to the freshet. Fishing was Ok today. Managed 6 to the boat with only 1 5 1/2'. All the others were the usual 3-4'. I tried several baits but oolies were the only success story.

On a very pleasant note, I was able to break in my Shimano Technium today. Have to say I LOVE it. It is much more sensitive than the rods I was using (Diawa Westcoast Halibut 7') and the slimmer rubber/cork grip feels way better. The Technium doesn't have as much backbone as the Diawa but I'll have to wait until I get into a 7'+ before I pass judgment.

The tides today were pretty dramatic. I noticed the current pick up significantly around 10:00 and didn't get anything, not even a nibble for the rest of the day, even though I tried numerous spots where the current slowed. Boating home was like running through a minefield due to the excessive debris. I expect the next couple of weeks will be much of the same. I think I'll only go out when there isn't too much of a tide differential.

Stats:
Sunny/cloudy
Water temp: 43.5
Debris: TONS
Bait: Oolies; Eel; Roe

Cheers,

Z
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Sturgeon April 18
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 08:29:18 PM »

Thanks for the report Zpg.   Sounds like another productive day!! ;)  Fighting a fish on a new rod is always nice isn't it? ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 08:37:36 PM »

Thanks for the report.
If you ever want to sell the Daiwa rod i would be interested.
Is it a Samurai by chance?
I have another and lost its mate and it is lonely. ;)

Zpg

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 08:50:55 PM »

BS - Breaking in the new rod was great. I bought it a week ago and have been chomping at the bit to get out on the water. I felt a bit guilty reporting it as I know you are waiting to break yours in as well :-\

Firstlight: It is a Samurai and in fact I have 2 of them. I was thinking of selling 1 and keeping the other as a back-up. The problem is that it is quite used, and unless I match it with a used reel (I was thinking of my old Penn 320) and some tuf line xp line I wouldn't sell if for enough to make it worthwhile. I was also kicking the idea around of putting on my nearly brand new Penn Senator 112H. If you have any thoughts send me an email.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »

BS - Breaking in the new rod was great. I bought it a week ago and have been chomping at the bit to get out on the water. I felt a bit guilty reporting it as I know you are waiting to break yours in as well :-\

Don't feel guilty at all!! ;D ;D  I haven't really been able to make it out much, you know that darn work thing.....  But I will!!! ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 10:49:09 AM »

I hear what your saying as they really didnt cost that much to begin with.
If i were you i would just keep as a spare and put a 330 on it.
I dont like the the 320 for Sturgeon but they do make a killer bar reel.