Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So what type of fishing do you enjoy the most?

Fly Fishing
- 19 (34.5%)
Drift Fishing ( Including Pins )
- 25 (45.5%)
Mooching
- 3 (5.5%)
Jigging
- 0 (0%)
Ice Fishing
- 1 (1.8%)
Bar Fishing
- 3 (5.5%)
Trolling
- 3 (5.5%)
Spin Casting
- 1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: The fishing that you enjoy the most  (Read 7084 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
The fishing that you enjoy the most
« on: January 31, 2007, 04:37:48 PM »

So vote for your favorite style of fishing and than post the reason for your choice.

Mine by far is fly fishing. The fight is so much better on a fly rod than any other type. Also their is so much more to it than say drift fishing. Learning what flies to use where and how to present them. The casting is more of an art form and its always something you can get better at from practice. Their is a much larger learning curve and more complexities that are involved in the sport.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Hook Set

Re: The fishing that you enjoy the most
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 04:52:37 PM »

I like drift fishing more. I fly fish on and off but have never really gotten into it big time. But I love to drift fish so that gets my vote.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 04:56:30 PM »

Only use centerpin reel,no drag what so ever ;).Second will be fly fishing

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 04:58:12 PM »

I wold like to hear why people like to drift. Myself I do it the majority of the time just to get meat during salmon season. I do it as well during steelhead season because I have never caught a steelhead on the fly and don't feel confident enough to do it exclusively. I just don't find drift fishing for salmon all that enjoyable. In the next two years I am hoping I get better and better at catching salmon on the fly. If I get good enough I wont ever have to drift fish for salmon anymore and still be able to retain the amount of salmon I currently do using my drift gear.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 05:02:24 PM »

I really enjoy fly fishing but I seem to enjoy drifting more because I am usally on a river with a better chance of getting a fish although if you really know what you are doing you can probobly catch just as many fish while chucking flies :)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 05:04:09 PM »

I would definitely, without any doubt at all say for me, fly fishing is the best. Finding that quiet spot and laying your fly out like tinkerbell sprinkling magic dust. Soft, soft, just a light, light touch to cause a bit of water movement and then like magic it happens. The rise and a streak of silver and then the fight is on. Ahhh how I do love it.

fish2much

• It's all about how you wiggle the worm
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 05:09:44 PM »

I prefer to take part in fly-fishing because in the short while I've been doing it I find it the most natural way to fish.  I love the art of trying to trick the fish, get the right presentation and of the fight.  As well, I've noticed there's just way more toys you can buy when ur a flyfisher.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 05:17:39 PM »

Mooching...Gotta love the simplicity of a rod/reel, a weight, and a hook.

Have taken some big fish this way, and find they fight harder in the chuck than when they reach the rivers, better eating too supposably. Love the scenery of being on the ocean too.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 05:32:14 PM »

I gotta say it depends on the fish...I love fly fishing....I love it for trout...To be honest, it gets kind of old with the andronomous fish....At first it's such a challenge, then after you get it a bit, the big boys just wear you down after awhile...I've been out with a buddy who's line was messed up and we had to use just mine...We kept handing it off back and forth and after awhile no one wanted it..( of course i'm talking about chum wrestling here, and I for one love chum salmon )...Now that this is a pink here I'm pumped to bust out my 6wt and fish them... and coho's. (which I've had no luck on yet )....
Now river or lake fishing, trout...only way to go is fly for me...that's a whole nother story...I even love chironomid and nymph fishing now!!! ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 05:36:05 PM »

I gotta say it depends on the fish...I love fly fishing....I love it for trout...To be honest, it gets kind of old with the andronomous fish....At first it's such a challenge, then after you get it a bit, the big boys just wear you down after awhile...I've been out with a buddy who's line was messed up and we had to use just mine...We kept handing it off back and forth and after awhile no one wanted it..( of course i'm talking about chum wrestling here, and I for one love chum salmon )...Now that this is a pink here I'm pumped to bust out my 6wt and fish them... and coho's. (which I've had no luck on yet )....
Now river or lake fishing, trout...only way to go is fly for me...that's a whole nother story...I even love chironomid and nymph fishing now!!! ;D

Come coho season I will get you into some. I have some prime locations for coho where you cant use gear.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 05:52:26 PM »

Come coho season I will get you into some. I have some prime locations for coho where you cant use gear.

I'm in for that....I'm super excited for the pinks this year too...

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 05:58:14 PM »

I'm in for that....I'm super excited for the pinks this year too...

Well if your excited come out for a day in the boat when I target pinks than take the roe from the pinks we keep and use it as sturgeon bait. Pinks and Sturgeon trips this year will be a TON of fun!!!! Morning for pinks and later in the afternoon sturgeon. Cant get much better than that ;) I k now Freak is counting down the days untill this happens hey Freak.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 05:58:49 PM »

Would have to say Drift fishing right now, I like barfing as well, at least when there is some action!! ;D  I have just picked up flyfishing, maybe that will turn into my fav after this year!!  I am really looking forward to chasing some dollies and Cutthroat in the next couple months though!! :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 06:00:20 PM »

I like any type of fishing, however drift bar and flyfishing are my favorites!
weeeeeeeeeow!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 06:02:11 PM »

I would say second I would choose bar fishing. Just a nice peaceful way of fishing and sharing some good times with friends.

Belong to the "4 F Club"