Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So what type of fishing do you enjoy the most?

Fly Fishing
- 19 (34.5%)
Drift Fishing ( Including Pins )
- 25 (45.5%)
Mooching
- 3 (5.5%)
Jigging
- 0 (0%)
Ice Fishing
- 1 (1.8%)
Bar Fishing
- 3 (5.5%)
Trolling
- 3 (5.5%)
Spin Casting
- 1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: The fishing that you enjoy the most  (Read 7087 times)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: The fishing that you enjoy the most
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 06:03:51 PM »

I like trolling because it is something ive done for a long time and there is something about that rod going off in the holder that is such a rush.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 06:27:21 PM »

Interesting thread. Difficult for me to single out one. I do drifting, jigging, barfish, flyfish, mooching. I just like to be on the water and fishing.

shadowcaster

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 07:05:20 PM »

Wakening big Ase drys in the fall with the long rod. Hands down my fave. I'm getting excited just thinken about it.

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 08:53:28 PM »

;D Where's the bobber fishing vote ???

Drift fishing was my favorite 15 years ago, until I got into the fly. Learned from a buddy and tossed the drift rods in the shed and started fly fishing, wow, what a different take on the fly and all more aggresive fish. I found fresh fish on the fly as with the drift getting all sorts of fish in different stages into the spawn.
fish take for a number of reasons, territorial for one reason why I was getting colored fish, on the fly I would always get fresh ones, same for stillwaters. So the switch was made to the fly, I'll never go back :)
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007, 09:01:27 PM »

I love ocean fishing! The boat ride to the spot hoping they will be there. Waiting for that rod to start bouncing and GAME ON!!! Drift fishing will have to be my second choice!

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2007, 09:29:04 PM »

My desicion was a cross between Trolling and Mooching..I picked Trolling for the hell of it.
I grew up fishing in Sooke B.C. on the ocean trolling and mooching. I love it becuase I for one have patience and I know that it payes off the most in the open water ranging from 50 feet to 400 feet. Playing a fish in that amount of water has and always will be the best way to enjoy the fight. In a lot of cases fishing the rivers around here are a lot of the time " shoulder to shoulder " where as trolling and mooching are about you, the fish and the open water. In my eyes, that it is the best way to enjoy the wonders of fishing :)

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007, 10:49:46 PM »

Drift fishing is fun epecially when the run is in, but fly fishing takes more skill and is alot more fun when playing fish!
Fish killer 101

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2007, 11:42:20 PM »

When you've done number of types of fishing, caught fish a number of differant ways, you drift toward being a rock lizard. It's not numbers to me anymore or style, and I can be a really good boat lizard too.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2007, 06:30:07 AM »

Ice fishing and dry flies... but I think I like ice fishing just a little more some times.  Lots of fun, and so relaxing, and lots of fun trying to keep warm.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2007, 10:10:02 AM »

;D Where's the bobber fishing vote ???

Agreed  ;D

Nothing like anchoring up and sitting back in the tube and watching your bobbers, waiting for the slightest movement. When you finally get that movement and set the hook, thats when the fun begins.
Actions speak louder than words.

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2007, 11:48:01 AM »

Why is it that no one likes spincasting ? I find it very fun and you can cast your a$$ off all day long. I am sort of a noob but I want to get into flycasting this spring. I have my 5wt and I need a cheap beginners reel to practice with. i like the idea with flycasting that you can more accurately match the food sources but I can slay trout , dollies and coho on the spoon or spinner as well. Since last May I have caught over 225 trout, 14 dollies and 1 coho on Panther Martins and Hammered Croc's. So, is it that spincasting makes it too easy or what ? What is the main reason people dont like spincasting as much as other methods ? i am ready to try all methods to make myself a better angler.

CandT
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2007, 12:30:12 PM »

Why is it that no one likes spincasting ? I find it very fun and you can cast your a$$ off all day long. I am sort of a noob but I want to get into flycasting this spring. I have my 5wt and I need a cheap beginners reel to practice with. i like the idea with flycasting that you can more accurately match the food sources but I can slay trout , dollies and coho on the spoon or spinner as well. Since last May I have caught over 225 trout, 14 dollies and 1 coho on Panther Martins and Hammered Croc's. So, is it that spincasting makes it too easy or what ? What is the main reason people dont like spincasting as much as other methods ? i am ready to try all methods to make myself a better angler.

CandT

Nobody said they dont enjoy spincasting. Most just prefer other methods. I enjoy spincasting but its not my favorite. Their is a time and place for it. I use spincasting when targetting pinks and coho thats about it.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2007, 12:32:08 PM »

Really nothing wrong with a spincasting reel, as usually they are pretty inexpensive in comparison to bait casting reels or center pins. And they are simple and easy to use. Most people getting into fishing can easily learn how to use a spinning reel.  Heck I still use a spinning reel to fish with spinners, spoons and jigs. With that being said, the disadvantages of a spinning reel is that it is hard to achieve a good drag free drift when float fishing, and depending on the type of reel, the drag system may not be that great especially when put to the test by a large fish.  Seeing that you are just getting into fishing, I am sure you will see what I mean as you build up your fishing gear ...haha.

Blue Heron

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2007, 05:04:51 PM »

Fly fishing by far is the best. When your out there and searching to match the hatch you can really feel inside the habitat.
Matching the hatch can be unpredictable in the sense that all of the sudden a pile of May flys will start popping off. Then your
scrambling looking for the right pattern and as soon as you do actions on. One of my best experiences last year was on the Skagit river.I saw a huge Stone fly skipping along the water and this Trout going mad after it. I threw a Stimulator out there and watched that fish travel in almost slow motion from the river bottom to grab my fly.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2007, 06:09:29 PM »

It's a toss up for me between drift fishing (never use a baitcaster for it, however) and chironomid fishing. They are incredibly alike because they are both sight fishing (float vs tip end of the flyline). If you have to think about setting the hook it's usually too late.

I have to clarify that it's only a trade off if the float fishing is done in non-retention rivers which in most cases are far less crowded.  It really wouldn't break my heart if I couldn't fish the Vedder.  I'd find some place more quiet to go even though it might require travelling out of the lower mainland.

What I find is that when I've flyfished throughout the spring and summer I get really antsy to get back on the river with my drift rod and vice-a-versa in the winter.

One type of fishing that I used to absolutely love and guide clients for back in the late 70's and 80's was live bait (herring) mooching on the Sunshine Coast or raking herring to strip cast to coho and springs off the islands on the east coast of Van. Is.  Not alot of this going on now because of the lack of herring in the Georgia Strait but it was an incredibly exciting way to fish. Balls of herring would try to hide under your boat and salmon would go crazy chasing them down and literally crash into the sides of your boat.  It was wild!  Bucktailing was fun, too.