Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: proud to be a BC steelheader...NOT!!!  (Read 6506 times)

Pat AV

Re: proud to be a BC steelheader...NOT!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 11:16:07 AM »

I agree with Rick, Athezone and anyone else who says enjoy the Ved for what it is a quality fishery close to a huge urban center.

I have fished throughout BC, Washington and the Yukon and the Ved is a special system. I have not fished many other systems with such great access and that is just is one of many examples of why it is special.

As one who has explored much of our great province I can assure you I am still proud to be a BC steelheader and I can also assure you there are many anglers from other countries and provinces that would love to be in our shoes!

Tight lines and enjoy what many of us take for granted,

Pat
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

steelynightmare

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 01:12:08 PM »

dojo,

you read what i posted by do you understand what you are reading... ??? the fish i caught and released was on a completely different run, and it WAS new water to me..I had never fished it which therefore means NEW WATER...i was not critizing, fish how you want and where you want...i don't care .....once again this was an OBSERVATION..i was on the other side fishing a DIFFERENT RUN...if someone wants to fence post that is there choice...
if steelheading to you is about meeting new people and just getting out then thats good...i don't know if ALL steelheaders feel the same way because if they did then etiquette would never be an issue on the river. If its just about getting out and meeting people then go to the park....you don't have to get as early.. ;) Steelheaders are steelheaders...if you think for a minute that you could just move on through a run while someone is fishing the tail out and everyone will be happy and buddy buddy then you must only fish with guys you know. Not all guys smile and let you through...in fact most guys i come across rarely even ask if they can move through..they just do it. If you do say something or ask if they could start at the top and work their way down they just mumble under their breath and just keep on fishing..talk to me in 5 years or so when you become addicted and obsessed to steelheading..your tune might just change....
pat av...
it sounds like you have fished many other rivers...the vedder is very special..however, do you find the river a little 'suspect' when it comes to steelheading etiquette compared with other rivers you have fished? or is this normal?

J.G.

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 01:21:23 PM »

The Vedder is not "normal".

steelynightmare

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 04:08:57 PM »

well said...and by the way i am proud to be a BC steelheader....

Pat AV

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 08:16:56 PM »

You are right the Vedder is not normal as far as etiquette goes, I think it is just too close to the city and populated by too many fisherman who are learning the ropes to be normal. It may be that the sheer volume of rods on the river would make the rotational system impossible. That said I have had etiquette problems on several other systems as well........

Tight lines!

Pat

Blue Heron

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2007, 08:46:05 PM »

This is the second post on river etiqutte I've seen lately. I'm still confused on whats acceptable and whats just wrong.
Like is it OK for me to slosh around with beer in hand, park on rock by a tailout, and cast till I'm sober. People on this site
keep saying that all of us on the river should be more friendly and polite but on the same page say that hole hogging, meat fishing,
low holeing, are things that just happen on the Vedder and good for those people. Don't let it bother you smile and wave.
It just seem to me that we all say that etiqutte needs to improve. How to do you guys intend to do that? Arguing or making
assumtions on peoples post isn't helping me. Try leading by example. Next time I'm on the river I HOPE that I see you guys shaking
hands and displaying proper etiqutte. So far I only seen people walking by each other without even a good morning "hello".
On the other had if what I think is nice to see but wrong then I should see alot more druken fishing, fist fights, people laying on
rocks getting sick, litter and all the other fun stuff I saw at Island 22 last year. ;D

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2007, 11:23:50 PM »

Was this guy passed out on the rock?? ;)  Must have been a lot of cans around.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2007, 11:53:19 PM »

I hate when some careless fisher back steps onto my beer when landing a fish. Thats why you put them on a rock so hopefully they get "Cowgarded" out if the way. Most people on the Vedder right now are quite nice and walk around your suds. Hopefully that helps with the etiqute.

As for the people who can't see their existance on the planet lasting any longer, if they don't catch a steelhead.... grab a cold one and chill out. Hopefully that will make you proud you didn't do something like get steamed all day cause you weren't catching fish. Worse yet some bozo comes chucking Strawberry Koolaid dew worms on your secret hole and slays them.

Theres a fish with your name on it somewhere. Don't let it be "sucker".
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Walter Q

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2007, 07:22:52 AM »

I LOVE the "rock lizards".  If they are gonna stay on the one rock for the day,,,waaaaay better for me. At least I know there is one less rod searching different water during the day. I actually think there should be a place they could "reserve" their rock the night before to keep the bickering to a minimum.

Pat AV

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 04:20:37 PM »

Blue heron:

Get used to the ethics debates on these sites they are everywhere! This site is one of the sites were the debates stay quite tame and civil.

As for your etiquette confusion the most important thing about fishing a busy river is communication!If there is a guy fishing a pool you want to fish, go say hi. Ask him if he is fishing down, if he is go above him if he is staying put ask if he minds if you move around and below him. Most guys will be OK as long as they feel respected. Always keep a good distance from the person who was on the hole first in either scenario.

Communication and common sense will go a long way toward ending your ethical confusion!

Hope that helps!

See you on the water,

Pat

Blue Heron

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2007, 04:37:44 PM »

Pat AV,

Thanks for the response. I'm totally cool with being friendly on the river. The only annoying part is when you seem to be the
only guy that gives a crap about being friendly ( unlike yourself ) . It also becomes tiresome being the peace maker. I had to
give up my spot on the Fraser last year. Just to prevent a fight between the the guy up stream from me and the guy that thought
that he could fish between us. I rather find new water then see some clowns tumble for a fishing spot. It's sad to say but the
more people the more problems. The funny thing is we are all there for the same reason. It's fishing every body should be
the most civil to each other when on the river. Despite how many know it alls or arragent people I meet on the water I'm
still going and trying to enjoy myself and be friendly.

Pat AV

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2007, 04:44:55 PM »

I hear you on the Fraser fishery, that is why I just don't do it anymore. I can not give any advice on how to get along in that fishery it is just a little too crazy for me. I fly fish pretty much all summer now and I never miss the flossing but I sure do miss the BBQ'ed sockeye!

I am sure if you are friendly on the river everything will be all good for you, I have never had a big problem on any river (with another angler). If worst comes to worst I just walk away, no spot is worth stressing over!

Good luck on the flow!

steelynightmare

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 04:45:20 PM »

blue heron,

i give a crap about this subject, you better be careful or the truck just might drive on by saturday morning... :D

Blue Heron

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2007, 04:54:46 PM »

Steely nightmare, LOL ;D
 Don't worry buddy I now your the man. Just found this post and replies funny. Just know this weekend I'm smiling and saying
good morning to all.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2007, 06:34:38 PM »

Some of my buddies (and I'm still on the fence on this) say that you should have to take a course like they do in hunting or to drive a car in order to get a fishing licence to teach you about such things as river etiquet, gear use and restrictions, how to handle fish properly to release them,etc.

What do you guys think about that?  I would imagine that you would really have to want to fish in order to go through it but at least you'd be educated on the subject.

BTW, Did I mention that these are the same buddies that think people should need a licence to have kids but that's another subject altogether.