Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: proud to be a BC steelheader...NOT!!!  (Read 6486 times)

steelynightmare

proud to be a BC steelheader...NOT!!!
« on: January 28, 2007, 11:04:01 AM »

Was out at a  local river yesterday afternoon (take a guess and the first 3 don't count :)) and it was a proud moment watching the local river "etiquette"and attire. Hiked down to a nice spot that produced a nice 10lb hatchery doe the day before, a beautiful chrome fish that was photographed and released. As i approached the river I saw my first indication of true BC sportfishing on the unnamed river. A fine gentlemen was walking up river dressed in classic winter fishing gear...hat, folded down neoprene's over a plaid lumber jacket, side satchel, and to finish off the look a open can of what appeared to be MGD...i only hope the can was at least hauled back out and not tossed to the wayside.  :-[ My second observation and lesson was how to fish a nice piece of water. It starts by finding a nice rock in the sun, preferrably one that is large enough to set your gear and bait on without the threat of it falling in the water and still have enough room to be able to sit on. Then all you do(while sitting the whole time) is cast and cast and cast and cast and cast...etc.etc.etc.etc until you realize that the sun will soon be leaving your nice spot and you may just start to get cold. The sad part is that the water that was being fished produced 2 nice fish the week before. If it had at least been fished properly then you could maybe stomach this "style" of fishing. Anyone wanting to fish from top to bottom would have had to leave nicest stretch of river...very sad very sad :'( It was still a beautiful day to get out.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: proud to be a BC steelheader...NOT!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 12:03:44 PM »

Just recently i was fishing a run that sounds familiar.
A fellow came down the other side and approached the hole i was fishing.
He asked if i had got any and i replied yes i just got one and had another hit.
He then starts to fish in the hole form the other side.

I just mumble to myself because this is now the third time that someone has done this on this river over the years.

6 casts later and he says,theres one and lands a nice little Steelhead of about 8 lbs.

Funny thing is he then asks if i fished the hole above at all ,to which i replied, no i didnt because someone was allready there so i just turned around to let them have it to themselves. ;D

Meanwhile i know that it was him up there and then he worked his way down.

steelynightmare

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 02:24:37 PM »

I know what you mean, you try to show etiquette on the river and do the right thing but others just don't really give a crap and are only concerned about catching a fish(this is a very broad generalization) It is refreshing to meet someone on the river who does show some respect for others. When my partner and i got those 2 hatchery fish a couple weekend ago we had some one low hole us as we were working down the run. He popped out below us and made 5 or so casts and then pulled out and headed up river. The funny thing was he was not rewarded for his low hole efforts. He was however rewarded with a view of us catching and releasing a very nice hatchery fish 5 minutes later. I was tempted to yell to him that he should have taken a little more time, i mean if you are going to pop out below someone at least fish through the run properly. :D

J.G.

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 03:06:31 PM »

I am very proud to be a B.C. Steelheader. What I'm not proud of is living in the lower mainland and being forced to fish our local waters. I find myself travelling farther to fish, just so I don't have to deal with the local etiquette. I may not be fishing as often as I used to, but the quality of my trips makes up for this.

steelynightmare

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 03:20:19 PM »

Did i say at any time that i was pissed...i was on the other side working my way down. If a guy wants to fish in one spot for the whole day thats his choice(he wasn't old and he wasn't injured, although he could have been and maybe just beamed himself over there ;)). i was simply making an observation. And by the way i was fishing new water,I had  hiked 20 or so minutes so i could fish the other side and try some runs that were not accessible from the more crowded side. You shouldn't open your mouth and assume something. All my comments were simply that...comments, nothing judgemental. And if you think that having intoxicated people on the river is a good thing or for that matter is in any way acceptable then you need to give your head a shake. I am sure the other fisherman driving from spot to spot would really approve of having a drunk driver on the sometimes narrow roads, and not to mention any wild fish that may be hooked would surely be handled with care and released properly ;)..
well done dojo...

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 07:43:29 PM »

I like that term...."give your head a shake".... Don't hear that one very often...

I don't think river etiquette was ever what others lead you to believe...I had old guys, twice cut in on me (low hole) in a matter of hours on thursday...One of um did it when I was gabbing with the 77 derby winner who stopped by to have a chat...Great guy, he walked by, saw there was only  about 20 yards till the tailout and instead of being an arse stopped instead and had a chat...and then this other guy walks down...looks at us and starts tossing in for all he's worth...

Just not worth getting that bend out of shape for...The derby winner and I talked and he said stories of etiquette from the past are pure B.S. Some people are just jerks...Sitting on a rock in the sun..to me doesn't describe anything but a guy enjoying a nice day though..

Hook Set

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 07:49:26 PM »

I am new to steelheading and I was wondering about etiquette. When you see someone else fishing a pool what is the proper thing to do, go above them if they are working their way down or just wait your turn? Thanks

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 08:03:25 PM »

Start above him and work down. However if he's not moving from his perch I would go around him.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 09:21:11 PM »

1. Get there early.
2. Stake your gound.
3. and bring friends to help hog out any good area that might produce fish.
7. bring beer and find a nice rock in the sun.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 10:01:48 PM »

I have been out 6 times now so far this year, all days fishing have been on the weekend , and I still haven't had a problem with any fishermen on the river !! I really don't see the problem that you are talking about... if someone chooses to fish one spot then so be it !! if you want that spot then get up before he does ... if he doesn't wanna move for you then go around him !! you have to remember that there is NO correct way of fishing for Steelhead, some people choose to move around and hit many different sections of the river and others choose to fish one spot all day and wait for the fish to come through, just because you want to move around alot doesn't mean that that is the proper way to fish... it is just the way that you CHOOSE to fish, none of us own the river and none of us can say that any certain rock is ours,  every single fisherman I have come across this year has been a pleasure to talk to, I always exchange pleasentries, we ask each other if there have been any fish seen and then I move on... I think everyboby needs to appreciate the fact that this is not Salmon season, the river is not full of snaggers, and there are beautiful Steelhead to be caught
cheers TR
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 10:09:01 PM by thickrick »

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 10:11:01 PM »

Hear we go again! ;) What's right, what's not! ???

Pat AV

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 10:19:43 PM »

I don't think there is anything wrong with having a beer and relaxing on a rock in the sun while you fish. I dont do it but I would not say it is poor ethics, we should remember fishing is about having fun and relaxing to some less serious fishers. Not everyone has to get up at first light and pound water till they are absolutely exhausted like me and my fellow steel addicts do.

Different strokes.........dosent mean it is wrong!
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

steelynightmare

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 10:28:27 PM »

TR

it was just an OBSERVATION!! I didn't care, i was fishing the other side. If someone did want to fish the run properly(top to bottom) they would have had to leave the best part (he was planted at the tail out, generally the most productive part of the run ;) Fish how you want...i heard if you die real dew worms pink and fish them under a bobber that works real well... ;D

steelynightmare

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 10:32:39 PM »

pat av

didn't say it was unethical, just not proper fishing etiquette for steelhead season...if you disagree with that..its your choice. as for having a beer..have at it...just take your empties, we shouldn't have to pick up other peoples garabage....

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 10:46:27 PM »

I like the way you think Pat, thanks,  I needed that. Life is way to short for the U no what. Take a second and realize how lucky we all are to be where we are and try not to take steelheading so serious.
Enjoy nature, the company of other people and the opportunity of chance.